TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

Send a message via AIM to d16hatch
Should I negotiate some more? (Job Offer)

So right out of college (2010, I'm a mechanical engineer) I took a job that is 10 mins from my house, pays 100% of my benefits, and matches my 401k up to 25%. The salary was well below the average for an engineer but the company is great and the perks are good (I have traveled internationally 5 times already and get government per diem everytime... lots of good money made). I have been happy here even though its not exactly what I see myself doing for the rest of my life, there is lots of opportunity and the company is always looking to expand.

2 weeks ago my friend tells me his company is hiring. So I give him my resume, long story short I got the job. They asked me for a salary requirement and gave me an offer that is below my requirement but is about a 30% increase of what I make now. They pay 2/3rds of my benefits and only match 3%. The job is exactly what I want to be doing though. It's a small company so there is ton of opportunity to grow (and they have every year and give really good bonuses... 10% of salary). I told my boss yesterday and today they came with a counter offer, raising me 11% and reminded me of all the perks here (paying 100% of my healthcare, even when I get married in sept and have kids later on). They also said they would look for work that would more suite my passion.

All things weighed up, it really isn't that much of a $ increase to switch jobs at their offer (a much longer commute for me as the new company is in PA and I live in NJ).

Is it worth it to try and ask for a few more $ out of the new company? If they say no I could always take the 11% increase here and be happy.

Any thoughts?

'97 Prelude- wrecked and FS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
d16hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
I'd take the 11% increase at where you're at now and stick with it. If they match 100% of you're benefits and 25% of you're 401K you'd be dumb to leave. But that's my .02.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

25% of 401k over the course of 40 years is a lot more than a 19% raise
saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Send a message via AIM to Diablo2424
Yea, I agree, stick with where you are, especially if they'll pay %100 benefits for you and your family (one married, have kids, etc.). Not too mention the %25 matching is almost unheard of, yet an amazing bonus to have. And the fact that this company is in NJ (crossing state lines in a P.I.T.A.), closer to home, and offering you a raise to keep you, shows they're a good company.

My last job (which was a VERY small start up company, owners were dirtbags) when I told them I was leaving, they were actually mad at me and wouldn't talk to me for my last 2 weeks I was there. Never mind a counter offer to keep me, lmao.

Previous: 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R - NWP | z32/z33 Brakes |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Previous: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4'ed
Diablo2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

Here is the thing... I have huge amounts of student debt so I can't put 25% of my paycheck into my 401k or I would start defaulting on my loans.

The bonus of the other employer is the ability to be working under PE's so that I can get my professional engineering license in 4 years. Both my boss and the chief operating officer told me that there will be no hard feelings at all and know I have to do what is best for me and my family but they both also said there would be the opportunity to come back as well if I went and got my PE.

Basically I think the opportunity for growth and career pursuit as PE is better at the other place. They seem like the type of company that will push their employees so that you have all your own projects and clients and your own team. I think I could learn a lot there.

But I'm really stuck.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo2424 View Post
Yea, I agree, stick with where you are, especially if they'll pay %100 benefits for you and your family (one married, have kids, etc.). Not too mention the %25 matching is almost unheard of, yet an amazing bonus to have. And the fact that this company is in NJ (crossing state lines in a P.I.T.A.), closer to home, and offering you a raise to keep you, shows they're a good company.

My last job (which was a VERY small start up company, owners were dirtbags) when I told them I was leaving, they were actually mad at me and wouldn't talk to me for my last 2 weeks I was there. Never mind a counter offer to keep me, lmao.
The company is terrific and I really like it here... the benefits are great. The one thing is that the work load here is pretty slow at times where the other company has a ton of work and is constantly busy (I have talked to my friend who works there). I don't mind long commutes (I drive a ridiculous amount already with my family spread across the continental US).

I might reply to the other company with the request of a better offer (knowing I can accept the 11% increase here and be completely happy). I have nothing to lose I suppose.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Being happy is more important then making money. If the new jobs salary is enough for you to live comfortably take it.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Slevin
Tri-State Addict

Member #19794

i say stay. even though you can't put a lot, if any, into your 401k right now, you will be able to later. being able to drop 25% instead of 3% when you have the chance will make up for more "lost time." also the 11% can be put straight into your loans. you also have to take into account the expenses of the longer commute and healthcare (esp when your wife gets pregnant), and more importantly, your time "wasted." would you rather spend 2-3 hours commuting to and from work, or spend them with your wife and child? they will go a long way as well when the kid has you up at all hours of the night just after it's born.
Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin View Post
i say stay. even though you can't put a lot, if any, into your 401k right now, you will be able to later. being able to drop 25% instead of 3% when you have the chance will make up for more "lost time." also the 11% can be put straight into your loans. you also have to take into account the expenses of the longer commute and healthcare (esp when your wife gets pregnant), and more importantly, your time "wasted." would you rather spend 2-3 hours commuting to and from work, or spend them with your wife and child? they will go a long way as well when the kid has you up at all hours of the night just after it's born.
Or you could spend that extra 2-3 yelling at your wife because your depressed from the 8+ hours a day you spent at work not liking it LOL
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Or you could spend that extra 2-3 yelling at your wife because your depressed from the 8+ hours a day you spent at work not liking it LOL
He said hes happy at his new job...

I would stay at the first job... Second might be more beneficial at this second, but the first is way more in the long run.. Plus, seems like the first finds you pretty valuable.. Maybe the 2nd wont?
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Send a message via AIM to Diablo2424
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Being happy is more important then making money. If the new jobs salary is enough for you to live comfortably take it.
This is very very true. I have done this myself, and always been told this growing up. Life is shorter than you think, you're better off being happy, than being rich. As long as you can still live comfortably in the position that makes you happy.

Now that you mentioned the whole PE thing at the other job, and how cool about the situation your current bosses are. I actually am switching my opinion. Go for the new role, get your license however you can, it will only help you in the future. Especially if you are able to leave go to the new place, and if for any reason the grass isn't greener, it's good to know you can come back to the current workplace. Like you said, nothing to lose in trying to ask the new offer for a little more compensation. If they resist, then you can mention that your current company has better benefits and offered you a raise to stay, they might then budge and work with you.

Good luck with whichever you do, and keep us updated!

Previous: 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R - NWP | z32/z33 Brakes |

Previous: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4'ed
Diablo2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Slevin
Tri-State Addict

Member #19794

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16hatch View Post
The company is terrific and I really like it here...
he is clearly happy. the only real problem is the work load is a little "light" to him. if you're not getting paid per job, don't worry too much about a relatively "light" work load. you won't get doubled down with projects, working nights, on-call weekends, spending a ton of time away from your family, etc., because you "want more responsibility" at work. if the company is doing well with the current workload and its not affecting you negatively, then why worry about it? if anything that sounds better because you can put more time into each case. better ideas, better results, better portfolio.
Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

Since the interview the second company has seemed to be very interested in me (has stated their excitement in me joining their team numerous times). But yes, my current company does value me greatly. They even both stated the possibility of me returning later down the road if I decided to leave.

I am happy at my current job but it can be boring. The second company would have me constantly busy. I believe the better track to my career goal is with the second company. I emailed the guy who sent me the offer letter and listed the reasons (my current benefits, employer's counter offer) and asked if they could raise their offer any. If they can then it is a no-brainer for me. If they can't I still may go with them. If they decided I'm being a jerk and retract their offer well I can accept the 11% raise here and stay. I believe I am leaning toward the second company more but I would like to make sure it makes sense financially.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Wait wait wait wait wait.... The person who interviewed you, or is speaking to you, from the 2nd place, that you don't even work at yet, was talking about the possibility of you returning if you leave? That doesn't seem right....

And no offense, but any new potential employer is going to tell you how excited they are to have you on their team. When I was younger and worked at Target, they told me this too, lol.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

Haha no, my current employer was telling me about the possibility of returning later, even if I leave now.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Ah ok, you said both.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
d16hatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13671

My Ride:
1998 Honda Prelude

My apologies, the "both" referred to my boss and the C.O.O. both saying that same thing to me.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
Tough decision man. I would go for the job that steer you towards the job you want in the future. I'm an engineer too and my company doesnt have the greatest benefits, but they have other things like educational reimbursement and stuff like that. The 25% matching on 401K is NUTS. I've never heard that before. Are your sure it's not they match 1/4 of whatever you put in? My company does something similar, they match 50% of what I put in (up to 8%).... Plus what does your wife (or future wife) do? I changed to my wife's awesome healthcare when we got married (she's an RN). Just something to consider..
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

Everyone has already pointed out the obvious, but another big thing is commute time.

Living 10 minutes from work is great. Commuting from NJ to PA will put you in a lot of traffic.
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

i'd stay at the first job. 100% benefits is HUGE these days and the ginormous 401k matching is tits. pay off your debt and start socking money away. also 10 minute commute...
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote