TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #41
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Yeah the 2018 front end looks a bit upside down or something. The fender line is too low, makes the headlights look droopy I think. The upgraded engine and available magride will make the GT a force to be reckoned with again.

DC isn't THAT far of a drive... and I have some friends in Richmond that want to come up for rides and to check out the car.

Good luck in CAM! If Kao doesn't run you might have a shot, lol
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #42
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Installed OEM camber bolts/crash bolts/service bolts. Should be good for ~0.2 degrees of camber gauge. I don't have an adapter for 19" wheels for my Longacre gauge, so no before/after measurements...

Midway through the swap on one side. Total PITA, you have to hammer out the splined bolts. Radial mount caliper with a whacky formed brake line means you need to buy bolts to slide the caliper off of the knuckle to support it...

Just dropped this side on the ground, so this is before it settled.

After settling on the other side
Old 07-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #43
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I went to an autocross today that was interesting... I was 2nd in PAX and first in A Street.

Here's my fastest clean run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_mActidUY

and my fastest dirty run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg8q8VOtlsQ
Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #44
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Yeah the 2018 front end looks a bit upside down or something. The fender line is too low, makes the headlights look droopy I think. The upgraded engine and available magride will make the GT a force to be reckoned with again.

DC isn't THAT far of a drive... and I have some friends in Richmond that want to come up for rides and to check out the car.

Good luck in CAM! If Kao doesn't run you might have a shot, lol

Thanks! Two weeks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:31 PM   #45
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I went to an autocross today that was interesting... I was 2nd in PAX and first in A Street.

Here's my fastest clean run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_mActidUY

and my fastest dirty run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg8q8VOtlsQ
You really are not using the throttle much...a few peak WOTs but generally under 60%. A lot of time in the 30-40% range.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #46
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post

Thanks! Two weeks!
I'm likely signing up soon.

Quote:
You really are not using the throttle much...a few peak WOTs but generally under 60%. A lot of time in the 30-40% range.
Nope, but half throttle still feels fast, lol. It was a serious speed maintenance course for me. The ND Miata that beat me (raw timed me too... but we both went faster on dirty runs and I did beat him then at least, lol) was WOT on the rev limiter through the first slalom and the slalom stuff on the back stretch too, not sure if they tried third gear or not.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #47
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I'm likely signing up soon.

Nope, but half throttle still feels fast, lol. It was a serious speed maintenance course for me. The ND Miata that beat me (raw timed me too... but we both went faster on dirty runs and I did beat him then at least, lol) was WOT on the rev limiter through the first slalom and the slalom stuff on the back stretch too, not sure if they tried third gear or not.
Awesome! Hope to see you there

Yeah I bet, you definitely were maintaining speed through laying off the throttle prior to slaloms, etc. Will have to try some of this out with my car, might be giving it too much throttle!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #48
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Signed up for DC I may also sign up for NonCompPM and work twice/pay twice to get another 4 runs... Undecided.

Yeah, it's easy to over use the throttle and brakes. Constantly accelerating and decelerating is a good way to upset the car. Maintenance throttle to control your speed while just steering is a great way to gain comfort in slaloms and such.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #49
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Signed up for DC I may also sign up for NonCompPM and work twice/pay twice to get another 4 runs... Undecided.

Yeah, it's easy to over use the throttle and brakes. Constantly accelerating and decelerating is a good way to upset the car. Maintenance throttle to control your speed while just steering is a great way to gain comfort in slaloms and such.
Yes!!!

Very good tip, will have to try that this time out. I was definitely getting aggressive with the throttle last time in some spots and had to counter steer/lift to get back straight.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #50
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Yes!!!

Very good tip, will have to try that this time out. I was definitely getting aggressive with the throttle last time in some spots and had to counter steer/lift to get back straight.
You going to run Noncomp PM?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:09 PM   #51
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
You going to run Noncomp PM?
Looks like I'll be in the morning 3 group (CAM):

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/drive...1&EventID=6537

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #52
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Looks like I'll be in the morning 3 group (CAM):

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/drive...1&EventID=6537
You can enter again (and pay again ) if you want to run in PM, but it'll be in the Non Comp group. You get an extra four runs and you have to work again, but it makes sense for me to do that with a 5 hour round trip, lol
Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #53
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
You can enter again (and pay again ) if you want to run in PM, but it'll be in the Non Comp group. You get an extra four runs and you have to work again, but it makes sense for me to do that with a 5 hour round trip, lol
Run twice in one day? I'm in!

When you say noncomp is that a class I can select?

Not at the laptop right now

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #54
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Run twice in one day? I'm in!

When you say noncomp is that a class I can select?

Not at the laptop right now
I assume so, I was told this and haven't ever run with DC before, lol
Old 08-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #55
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I forgot to post it before, I installed the Ford Performance passenger side air/oil separator. FP makes a driver's side separator too, but even on the track the driver's side stays pretty much totally dry so I didn't bother with buying that one.

I drained it today, after about 750 miles or something.

SSC Tint & Graphics did a killer job on my new numbers, super happy with how they look!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #56
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I assume so, I was told this and haven't ever run with DC before, lol
Yup, just checked...it's at the tail end of the day though...going to have to think about it more.

What are you doing on the 27th? Shenandoah track day that day is a possibility.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #57
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I forgot to post it before, I installed the Ford Performance passenger side air/oil separator. FP makes a driver's side separator too, but even on the track the driver's side stays pretty much totally dry so I didn't bother with buying that one.

I drained it today, after about 750 miles or something.

SSC Tint & Graphics did a killer job on my new numbers, super happy with how they look!

That's some good amount of oil. Wow. FP selling one is nice! Hopefully nothing too expensive.

Those numbers look perfect!! I really need to get me some.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #58
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Yup, just checked...it's at the tail end of the day though...going to have to think about it more.

What are you doing on the 27th? Shenandoah track day that day is a possibility.
I've got autocross. Need DOY points so I can't skip

Quote:
That's some good amount of oil. Wow. FP selling one is nice! Hopefully nothing too expensive.

Those numbers look perfect!! I really need to get me some.
I'm also slightly overfilled (oil expands quite a bit when hot, who knew? lol) but it's still doing a good job keeping that crap out of the intake. It was ~$170 or so I think.

Thanks! He can likely come up with a nice color combo for you
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #59
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I've got autocross. Need DOY points so I can't skip

I'm also slightly overfilled (oil expands quite a bit when hot, who knew? lol) but it's still doing a good job keeping that crap out of the intake. It was ~$170 or so I think.

Thanks! He can likely come up with a nice color combo for you
Ah damn. I just looked up entry fee and insurance. Total for one day: $600 or so. Ouch.

Haha, makes sense with heat expansion. There's a civil war going on about catch cans on the Camaro side of the aisle. I'm on the fence, personally. If I were tracking more often, maybe?

Already thinking of either orange base with the matte gray surround or vice versa. I need to call him and get some numbers. Painters tape is so cheesy looking on a new car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #60
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I'm curious why anybody would be against a catch can? I mean, it creates more points of failure, but a well engineered unit it's probably not a big deal. For those that have done catch cans, are they trapping fluid? The Ford V8s definitely trap fluid but not huge amounts... but they're still PI and not DI (2018 has PI/DI, so still no valve crud issues)