TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
c7scayman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9644

You can try to contact this guy to find out why he gave up on his SR20 RX-8 swap. Maybe he has some useful info.
http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/2...ics-heavy.html

You can try contacting this guy too. 2JZ swap RX-8
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=135419
13 MK6 GTI 2020 - Current
c7scayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Undoubted it would cost not much more to get a C5 that will rape it and be more reliable.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7scayman View Post
You can try to contact this guy to find out why he gave up on his SR20 RX-8 swap. Maybe he has some useful info.
http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/2...ics-heavy.html

You can try contacting this guy too. 2JZ swap RX-8
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=135419
LOL WTF from that thread.

Quote:
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #24
fightinchunk
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5306

My Ride:
92 SR S13 vert, 05 LGT Built 2.3L hta68

omg... we can ****ing sit here forever and think of a million cars that can beat this car in whatever hypothetical situation you want. if a mzr rx8 is what you wanna do... don't let anyone tell you different.

in the end... you can come up with a million reasons why you shouldn’t do something. but there's only one reason that you should.... and it’s very simple: because you ****ing want too. If you WANT it ENOUGH you will achieve it.
fightinchunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
davin
Tri-State Addict

Member #21791

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
LOL WTF from that thread.
I told you man, people who own rotaries are some crazy mofos...
davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
O2SpecV
Tri-State Addict

Member #8680

My Ride:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

Send a message via AIM to O2SpecV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEcRv9 View Post
purists in mass produced vehicles are mostly stupid, especially when it comes to rotary purists who have something against reliability it seems.

do what you want with YOUR car. Not a fan of the 2.3DISI motor, it's another sketch motor by Mazda, but I'd take it over the rotary any day
and what makes the mzr sketch?
O2SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
94integra
Tri-State Addict

Member #7222

My Ride:
93.5 p10

I love unique swaps,but not on an rx7/8. Its a rotary,not the most reliable car on the road but thats what makes them what they are. They can make crazy power and make your ears cry,if you want a track car just shove a 20b and a nice size turbo. If you want a dd,look somewhere else because only rotary heads would dd an rx7/8.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #28
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94integra View Post
If you want a dd,look somewhere else because only rotary heads would dd an rx7/8.
Right... Because the 10 RX-8's I see a day, driven by 17 year old girls, 60 year old grandmas, and everything in between are all rotary heads... Dumbest thing I read all day!
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

Just buy an F chassis and call it a day. Or swap an RX-8. No one really cares about RX-8s anyway. But leave the sacred RX-7s alone.
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 =:No, it's not for sale.:=
bl@ckvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #30
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
I think its a pretty solid idea of a swap. Hell, you may even become the ground breaker. I think most Rotary guys hate on LS swaps because it's a domestic engine going into an import, I feel the same way!! A Mazda engine going into a Mazda is less offensive IMO and your particular idea is interesting!

Wiring would be a bitch, but not impossible..
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #31
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Why is everyone talking about ls swaps and the hate/love? Hes talking about swapping a speed engine...

Chris if you want it,go for it.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #32
SpEcRv9
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6190

My Ride:
korean supra.

Send a message via AIM to SpEcRv9
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2SpecV View Post
and what makes the mzr sketch?
You're an owner and don't know?

This thread was enough to steer me away from the MS3, weak internals, blowing motors under partial throttle with minimal bolt ons and even in stock trim, throwing rods for the lulz..etc etc..

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...e-thread-6113/

Yeah, I understand forums are places where people bitch about their problems...but that particular thread was more than the random issue that Mazda didn't want to do anything about.

I dunno, I wanted a daily driver that can go 40k miles without needing new motors (if your car applies, great, if you don't, I don't care..because it applies enough)...For reference I had a spec-v....when a cars reliability issues scare Spec-V owners away, you know there's a prollem'

That's at least in the first gen MS3's from what I've read and heard, oh, and seen in friends MS3's....No, not all of them will blow up or be troublesome, but compared to other mass produced motors in other mass produced cars...the 2.3DISI is sketchsauce.

Last edited by SpEcRv9; 07-02-2012 at 11:59 PM.
SpEcRv9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
O2SpecV
Tri-State Addict

Member #8680

My Ride:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

it was only sketch because noob owners didn't have any idea that they were blowing motors because of fuel pump internals. It took fools like 3 years to figure it out and now a lot less people are blowing motors. Its just like the spec v man gotta know what to do to make it not go boom
Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
SpEcRv9
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6190

My Ride:
korean supra.

see, that's not the point...you should be able to buy a car and not have to worry about things like that...If they did their due diligence, they should have figured that out before the car went on sale....just like Nissan with the Spec-V
Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #35
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
see, that's not the point...you should be able to buy a car and not have to worry about things like that...If they did their due diligence, they should have figured that out before the car went on sale....just like Nissan with the Spec-V
It's not like people were taking MS3's and Spec-Vs off the lot brand new and they were blowing up a week later. It would take months sometimes a year or two for these problems to emerge and cause problems. For all you know your Genesis could have some similar problem and it is just waiting to emerge.

Especially on the Spec-V's, the pre-cat failures and butterfly screws issue wouldn't really become a problem for most people until at least 30k miles so it took a while for buyers to become aware of it.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #36
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo2424 View Post
I agree with what some above have said, go for it! I love seeing things that are different being done. I take it you'll keep it RWD?
Of course it would be RWD! I wouldn't be crazy enough to take a RWD car and make it wrong wheel drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBombDiggidy View Post
opinions incoming
A. unique is expensive
B. those motors aren't known for power so i don't really see the upgrade beside gas mileage and reliability. (isn't it supposed to be racecar?)
It will be more of a track day car and street car than an all out race car. Its much more power and torque than the RX-8 motor. The Mazdaspeed3 motor, even when stock puts out much more power and twice the torque than the RX-8 motor. Look at the area under the curve on stock dyno results. Other than its poor reliability during track days, my other complaint with the RX-8's rotary is its gutless. Also the RX-8 is lucky when it gets the same gas mileage as a half ton V8 pickup truck. Anything would be an improvement on that.

Quote:
C. wiring is going to suck
Mazda to Mazda. I'd be surprised if half the wiring wasn't hard at all and I'd be really amazed if most of the stock instrument cluster didn't work except for the tach.

Quote:
D. i feel like after its all said and done you will be real underwhelmed.
Underwhelmed with an RX-8 that isn't gutless below 8000 RPM and gets better fuel mileage along with being reliable on a road course?

Quote:
does that miata trans mate to the 2.3? i doubt this is going to be legos and the shafts will just pop in and line up as expected here.
Yes it bolts up to both the the 2.0 and 2.3.

Quote:
note- im all about sticking it to rotary fanatics, but you really cant beat the LSX swap. There's no argument here against doing the LSX swap beside uniqueness and any other factor your worse off anyway. also for track use a LSX rx8 will probably be a better performer then a c5.
The LSX swap adds more weight than the 2.3 turbo and miata transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
You have a rotary powered car, I say keep it that way. You want to swap something, then find a S13 shell and go nuts, but I wouldn't want to ruin one of the most unique cars out on the road today (and I have no particular love for the Rx-8s). Grant it, a swapped RX-8 would be different and unique, but not in a good way in my opinion.
I really don't see RX-8's as being unique or special. I see them all over the place. Its not like they are rare cars. Also it would take a few decades for an RX-8 to be worth anything to a collector. I see it as a platform where I can make a light, well balanced car with good power for a relatively cheap price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Undoubted it would cost not much more to get a C5 that will rape it and be more reliable.
Yea, but then I'd have to drive a C5. I love the performance of the C5, but I'm not the biggest fan of the interior.

I've seen used RX-8's in really good condition with bad motors pretty cheap. I've also found Mazda 2.3 turbo motors in salvage yards relatively cheap. If i do msot of the work myself, I can't see it costing nearly as much as a C5 Z06 with low miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2SpecV View Post
it was only sketch because noob owners didn't have any idea that they were blowing motors because of fuel pump internals. It took fools like 3 years to figure it out and now a lot less people are blowing motors. Its just like the spec v man gotta know what to do to make it not go boom
Yea, its pretty simple, you don't give a turbo motor enough fuel, its going to go BOOM!. I wouldn't be using the stock RX-8 fuel pump, so its not going to be an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #37
SpEcRv9
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6190

My Ride:
korean supra.

Quote:
It's not like people were taking MS3's and Spec-Vs off the lot brand new and they were blowing up a week later. It would take months sometimes a year or two for these problems to emerge and cause problems. For all you know your Genesis could have some similar problem and it is just waiting to emerge.

Especially on the Spec-V's, the pre-cat failures and butterfly screws issue wouldn't really become a problem for most people until at least 30k miles so it took a while for buyers to become aware of it.
you realize cars are/should be tested for tens of thousands of miles before they're released to the public right? Especially to find issues that might pop up after a year or two of driving and 30k miles...that's what R & D is for.

but, I wouldn't blame Nissan for not driving a spec for tens of thousands of miles to hammer out the issues...it's a pretty terrible car.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #38
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post

I really don't see RX-8's as being unique or special. I see them all over the place. Its not like they are rare cars. Also it would take a few decades for an RX-8 to be worth anything to a collector. I see it as a platform where I can make a light, well balanced car with good power for a relatively cheap price.
I never said they were rare, just that they are unique because they are powered by friggin triangles! I find that pretty damn unique lol.

Quote:
you realize cars are/should be tested for tens of thousands of miles before they're released to the public right? Especially to find issues that might pop up after a year or two of driving and 30k miles...that's what R & D is for.

but, I wouldn't blame Nissan for not driving a spec for tens of thousands of miles to hammer out the issues...it's a pretty terrible car.
Too each their own, but I loved my Spec-V and it never did me wrong. Even when I almost blew it up from a boost spike, it ran like a champ, and my friend bought it and beats the piss out of it, and it still runs perfect. Makes me sad to watch him drive it like that.

R&D is great but they can't sniff out every problem, which is why cars have recalls. Especially new platforms and engines, which is what the Spec-V was. It was the second year for the B15 platform and the first year for the QR25. It was bound to run into problems. Even the 2011 Jukes had recalls on leaky fuel rails/injectors already. Some recalls are just more catastrophic then others sadly.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #39
O2SpecV
Tri-State Addict

Member #8680

My Ride:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

Quote:
I never said they were rare, just that they are unique because they are powered by friggin triangles! I find that pretty damn unique lol.

Too each their own, but I loved my Spec-V and it never did me wrong. Even when I almost blew it up from a boost spike, it ran like a champ, and my friend bought it and beats the piss out of it, and it still runs perfect. Makes me sad to watch him drive it like that.

R&D is great but they can't sniff out every problem, which is why cars have recalls. Especially new platforms and engines, which is what the Spec-V was. It was the second year for the B15 platform and the first year for the QR25. It was bound to run into problems. Even the 2011 Jukes had recalls on leaky fuel rails/injectors already. Some recalls are just more catastrophic then others sadly.
Yeah i loved my spec v also, after i swapped the new motor and deleted the pre cats and secured the butterflys it ran great! Now i am gonna say though nissan never did have a fix for the pre cat problem and it did take them until 06 to figure out the butterflys
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #40
renn
Tri-State Addict

Member #13821

it's still going to be slow.

just put in an LS and call it a day. you'll be much happier.
renn is offline   Reply With Quote