TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery > Photography
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #41
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
I'm selling my D200 right now if you're thinking about something like that, I dont know. $850 with the vertical grip and an extra battery. You'll still need a lens for it though so factor that in also.
And yeah you may want a tripod, depends on what you're shooting. Its not a necessary initial purchase though if you're just trying to pick up the essentials right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #42
Loserkidwac
Tri-State Addict

Member #2550

My Ride:
1992 Mazda Miata, 1991 Honda CRX Si LS-T, 95 Civic VX

D80 is nice, Ritz has them for a decent price too http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54....htm?bct=t1134 go to a store and play around with one and see if there are any lenses you like too

Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:03 AM   #43
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Send a message via AIM to Stillen GLE
yea I am not getting every little thing right now, I want to get the camera to get use to for now then ill go from there. And to the people that said I should take classe's I am not gonna be that big into that I would take class's beside's I am trying to avoid a Community College I want to go down south or up to Penn State hopefully when I am done doing the Extra education work I am doing since I graduated already from high school. hopefully ill be at the college i want. I am not getting that far ahead of myself right now, gotta take a inch at a time, sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take a step forward.

Last edited by Stillen GLE; 11-30-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Stillen GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 AM   #44
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loserkidwac View Post
D80 is nice, Ritz has them for a decent price too http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54....htm?bct=t1134 go to a store and play around with one and see if there are any lenses you like too
Yea Circuit City has it to. I am gonna go to the Mall one day and visit the Camera store. or I may go to Circuit City, well see.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:10 AM   #45
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Pro Camera Shop... find one and go to it. Unless you want to talk to someone who doesnt have a clue about anything that they're talking about which is what you'll find in the Mall, Best Buy, Ritz Camera, or similar.

And as far as I'm concerned the SLR purchase is a package deal with some form of education on the camera, otherwise we're back to the p+s convo where I would be willing to bet that the SLR will result in WORSE photos than a p+s would. If not a class you need some sort of guidance, but a class would really be best. Even a once a week night class for 8 weeks or something...

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 AM   #46
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

I dont know, I actually have a Allen's Brochure right next to me, Ive been glancing through it. They have the D80 listed for 849.95 and the Tripod for 449.95 thats like 12-1300 bucks right there. I rather just get the Camera for the time being.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 AM   #47
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

There are roughly 8 billion tripod options out there ranging from $50 to $1500, but I thought we established that you're not tripod shopping right now.
Camera prices change over time, and Allen's will be competitive with any legitimate shop, or maybe beat them on price.

|

Quote:

|
Old 11-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #48
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
There are roughly 8 billion tripod options out there ranging from $50 to $1500, but I thought we established that you're not tripod shopping right now.
Camera prices change over time, and Allen's will be competitive with any legitimate shop, or maybe beat them on price.
I know, But I was justing quoting on the price they listed.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 AM   #49
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Just a few things I read

Anything over 8 megapixels will mean virtually nothing unless you want to print large prints.
FPS mean virtually nothing if you never use it (sports, birds, motorsports, etc.)...if you just shoot pre-set things in pre-set environments it makes no difference...ive never had to use burst fire on either of my cameras.

You have to get a camera that is suited for what you want to do, if you just want to take pictures of stuff, a point and shoot is probbably your best bet, its all been said here. I would really listen to funny!, i like rice, troll, jspek, vwcorradokid, and most others that have put their solid advice here. They have been doing this for years, in fact most have probbably been shooting since before me and you knew how to shoot with a P&S. If you want to check out my 30D you are welcome to do so, fire off some shots, and ill show you the basics, but I'll say what others have, at the point where you are NOW, its not going to matter much if you get a P&S or a top-of-the-line DSLR, the DSLR might just be more confusing for you. Sure its a long-term investment so you won't have to upgrade equiptment time and time again, but I found it better to work at a slow pace and learn rather than jump in to deep water immediately.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #50
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
Just a few things I read

Anything over 8 megapixels will mean virtually nothing unless you want to print large prints
FPS mean virtually nothing if you never use it

You have to get a camera that is suited for what you want to do, if you just want to take pictures of stuff, a point and shoot is probbably your best bet, its all been said here. I would really listen to funny!, i like rice, troll, jspek, vwcorradokid, and most others that have put their solid advice here. They have been doing this for years, in fact most have probbably been shooting since before me and you knew how to shoot with a P&S. If you want to check out my 30D you are welcome to do so, fire off some shots, and ill show you the basics, but I'll say what others have, at the point where you are NOW, its not going to matter much if you get a P&S or a top-of-the-line DSLR, the DSLR might just be more confusing for you. Sure its a long-term investment so you won't have to upgrade equiptment time and time again, but I found it better to work at a slow pace and learn rather than jump in to deep water immediately.
I realize what you are saying, But like I said its just for ****'s and giggle's at this point, I said I may start a business with it, that's not a definite, its a maybe, maybe I ll get big into it maybe i wont, I just want a decent camera at this point. I hate these stupid $100 digital camera's that look like the picture's came from a disposable camera or a Filmed Camera. My brother just bought a Nikon CoolPix S550 some digital camera, he got a deal on it because he work's at staple's Ive looked online their and they only have the D40 and D60 I believe. If anything Ill just wait til christmas to get this. I am not sure If ill be coming out to the Moorestown Meet anytime soon.

Last edited by Stillen GLE; 11-30-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:05 AM   #51
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillen GLE View Post
I realize what you are saying, But like I said its just for ****'s and giggle's at this point, I said I may start a business with it, that's not a definite, its a maybe, maybe I ll get big into it maybe i wont, I just want a decent camera at this point. I hate these stupid $100 digital camera's that look like the picture's came from a disposable camera or a Filmed Camera. My brother just bought a Nikon CoolPix S550 some digital camera, he got a deal on it because he work's at staple's Ive looked online their and they only have the D40 and D60 I believe. If anything Ill just wait til christmas to get this. I am not sure If ill be coming out to the Moorestown Meet anytime soon.
Well realistically, youll need at LEAST a year experience to start any kind of business with photography, and that means taking classes, reading, and spending time consistently on shooting and learning. If you want to just take pictures for now, buy a nice Point and Shoot camera, because if you get an SLR, you won't be able to take "nice" pictures for a little while until you learn everything, and its quite a bit to learn. A good point and shoot will give you nice crisp pictures, good features, at a generally lower price compared to SLR and it will be more user-friendly so you won't get tangled up in the manual modes...trust me, it is very frustrating to take shot after shot and see that it came out different from how you wanted, I think after almost 9 months I am just getting out of that territory barely.

Don't forget post-processing, which is a whole other field and I find it harder than taking the picture itself (but I need to learn it more)

My advice
Buy a nice Point and Shoot (like the Canon g10? that i like rice suggested)
Shoot with it and enjoy your pictures
Play with the manual modes here and there, learn stuff, and THEN move to an SLR if you want to progress with it as a hobby.

There are still times that I am glad to have my old 5 megapixel Kodak point and shoot, because despite having a half decent ammount of knowledge about photography sometimes I just don't want to mess with using a large bulky camera even in full-auto mode or manual settings for that matter.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 AM   #52
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
Well realistically, youll need at LEAST a year experience to start any kind of business with photography, and that means taking classes, reading, and spending time consistently on shooting and learning. If you want to just take pictures for now, buy a nice Point and Shoot camera, because if you get an SLR, you won't be able to take "nice" pictures for a little while until you learn everything, and its quite a bit to learn. A good point and shoot will give you nice crisp pictures, good features, at a generally lower price compared to SLR and it will be more user-friendly so you won't get tangled up in the manual modes...trust me, it is very frustrating to take shot after shot and see that it came out different from how you wanted, I think after almost 9 months I am just getting out of that territory barely.

Don't forget post-processing, which is a whole other field and I find it harder than taking the picture itself (but I need to learn it more)

My advice
Buy a nice Point and Shoot (like the Canon g10? that i like rice suggested)
Shoot with it and enjoy your pictures
Play with the manual modes here and there, learn stuff, and THEN move to an SLR if you want to progress with it as a hobby.

There are still times that I am glad to have my old 5 megapixel Kodak point and shoot, because despite having a half decent ammount of knowledge about photography sometimes I just don't want to mess with using a large bulky camera even in full-auto mode or manual settings for that matter.
is their any camera similar to the G10 that Nikon Make's?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #53
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillen GLE View Post
is their any camera similar to the G10 that Nikon Make's?
Im not at all familiar with newer P&S Cameras, from Canon or Nikon, but i like rice is a great photog and I would not hesitate to follow his advice at all.

Check out www.dpreview.com
They have reviews for cameras and go over the features and have sample shots from each one.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #54
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Nikon has the D40 also. which is like $460.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #55
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
this i believe is the equivalent to the g10...dont quote me on it...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08...nikonp6000.asp

and i am not a fan of the d40/x/60. id die if i had to manual focus a lot of my lenses every time.

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 AM   #56
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

Thank's Yea Ive seen that one, So neither the Canon G10 or the Nikon Coolpix P6000 or SLR but these are surpose to make the picture's equivalent to an SLR image?

You Know What I think I should just delete or closed this thread and acted Like I never posted it.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 AM   #57
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

If you dont want to post here any more then dont... but now that a lot of very knowledgeable people have taken the time to try and help guide you, save you hundreds/thousands, and get you on the right track, I dont think any 'closing or deleting' is necessary, which you dont have the ability to do anyway. Even if you dont want to listen to all of this excellent advice, at least we can hope that our advice may help someone else in the future.
The time to decide whether a thread should exist or not is before you start it in the first place.

|

Quote:

|
Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #58
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
why are you getting so upset. everyone here is trying to help and you're acting like everyone is takin shots at you.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:36 AM   #59
Stillen GLE
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6774

My Ride:
2003 Nissan Maxima GLE

You know what, To many idea's pop into my head and it only take's a thing or two to talk me out of it. which basically what you guy's did by saying oh well this is this and that is that and it becomes expensive blah blah blah. I mean you guy's want me to buy all this **** for it for no reason maybe that's what you guy's like and what not but i have other taste's. you guy's make it sound like a have to spend a fortunate on a damn camera.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 AM   #60
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
i didnt see where anyone was telling you to spend all kinds of money. the truth of the matter is, photography is an expensive hobby when it gets serious. every single person that posted in this thread was trying to save you money by telling you to get something entry level before jumping too far into it right away. if you keep attacking the people in here that are trying to help you, its gonna get ugly.