TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-30-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Suspension and Brake Technical Resource

Brakes

The Brake Bible - thermodynamics, brake fade and drilled rotors, the different types of brakes, brake actuators, mechanical advantage, power brakes and master cylinders, anti-lock braking systems, brake hoses, brake fluids, brake warning lights, and LED replacement bulbs

Stoptech Technical Brake Articles
Hours of interesting reading on braking articles including the physics of braking systems, brake bias, is bigger really better?, ABS, myths of the braking system, brake pedal setup, pad and rotor bed-in theory, removal of uneven pad deposits from rotors, bleeding brakes, monobloc vs. two piece calipers, stainless steel brake lines, a glossary of braking terminology, and more… its good stuff.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Suspension

The Wheel and ‘Tyre’ Bible
Decoding wheel sidewall info, DOT codes, “guaranteed” tires, tire sizes and what they mean, speed ratings, tire contstruction, tire tread, tweels, matching tires to wheels, contact patches and grip, alignment, diagnosing tire wear, and much more…

The Suspension Bible
Dependant and Independent suspension systems, hydraulic suspension, linear electromagnetic suspension, anti-roll bars and strut braces, suspension bushings, sprung vs. unsprung weight, progressively wound springs, torsion bars, lift kits, lowering kits, and more…

Tire Rack Technical Wheel and Tire Articles
A variety of technical articles explaining things like bolt pattern, centerbore, finishes and care, offset, performance benefits, lug nuts, the right fit, ride quality, wheel construction, and more…

Thanks to Luke @ Tirerack for posting this info on another forum:

Performance benefits:
While many people choose alloy wheels for their beauty, there are equally important performance benefits to be derived including...

Reduced Unsprung Weight Compared to Steel Wheels
This is one of the most critical factors affecting a vehicle's road holding ability. Unsprung weight is that portion of a vehicle that is not supported by the suspension (i.e. wheels, tires and brakes) and therefore most susceptible to road shock and cornering forces. By reducing unsprung weight, alloy wheels provide more precise steering input and improved "turning in" characteristics.

Improved Acceleration and Braking
By reducing the weight of the vehicle's rotational mass, alloy wheels provide more responsive acceleration and braking.

Added Rigidity
The added strength of a quality alloy wheel can significantly reduce wheel/tire deflection in cornering. This is particularly critical with an automobile equipped with high performance tires where lateral forces may approach 1.0g.

Increased Brake Cooling
The metals in alloy wheels are excellent conductors of heat - improving heat dissipation from the brakes - reducing risk of brake fade under demanding conditions. Additionally, alloy wheels can be designed to allow more cooling air to flow over the brakes.

What determines quality ?
The Tire Rack’s quality standard for wheels is very high and the manufacturers that we represent in this market understand that we constantly monitor products to ensure that quality products are sold to our customers. But what determines quality?

Manufacturing Process
Manufacturing processes and levels of testing are critical to a wheel's structural integrity. (Read more in "Wheel Construction.") International quality standards such as ISO9001, QS9000, TUV of Germany or VIA of Japan, establish important production and quality standards that manufacturers must follow. In addition, dimensional tolerances based on strict, original equipment market standards versus the more “casual” standards allowed for many aftermarket products should be met. Even durability standards for finish are different between the original equipment market and the aftermarket.

Proper Fit
An accurate fitment is the difference between good, better and best. Critical wheel dimensions such as width, diameter, offset, center bore, brake clearance, as well as load factor and lug hardware are the basics when it comes to properly fitting aftermarket wheels. Installation also requires a high level of sophistication. Many new vehicles are available with features such as ABS, traction control and other features that create a more difficult environment for installing aftermarket wheels. Stability control systems, run-flat tires, large high performance brake systems and staggered wheel and tire sizes are also factors to be considered when establishing accurate fitments. Wheel manufacturers with product design, research and development teams work to determine proper fitment as part of the manufacturing process.

Protective Finish
The type and quality of protective finish on your wheel (as well as proper maintenance) will determine how your wheels look years from now. Check for finish warranties backed by manufacturers with outstanding reputations for quality.

Reputation and Heritage
The reputation of a manufacturer is a strong indicator of quality since it is quality upon which a distinguished reputation is built. It takes time to build a positive reputation and a commitment to maintain it is important. And know a wheel company's roots. Many wheel manufacturers first established themselves in the motorsports arena and apply that technological and philosophical foundation to their production of wheels for use on the street.

Country of Origin
Certain areas of the world bring to mind certain products and characteristics. For example, Germany is at the top in automotive technology and precision. Italy is the front-runner in design and exotic cars. Know where your wheels are manufactured.

The Tire Rack's Commitment to Quality
The Tire Rack constantly reviews wheel data from new vehicles to be sure that we are aware of the original equipment sizes and packages offered. We physically inspect many of today’s new vehicles and often supply technical data to some of the manufacturers outside the U.S. that may not have access to certain vehicles in our market. For many wheels that we import or represent, we specify certain dimensions that we require to ensure wheel fit and maintain our high quality standards.

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

Torquing lug hardware:
Proper installation requires that the wheel lug torque be set to the recommended specification for your vehicle. These torque specifications can be found in your vehicle’s shop manual or obtained from your vehicle dealer. Finish tightening the lugs down with an accurate torque wrench. Use a crisscross sequence (shown below) until they have reached their proper torque value. Be careful because if you over torque a wheel, you can strip a lug nut, stretch or break a wheel stud, and cause the wheel, brake rotor and/or brake drum to distort.

NOTE: When installing new wheels you should re-torque them after traveling the first 50 to 100 miles. This is necessary because as the wheels are “breaking in” they may compress slightly allowing their lugs to lose some of their torque. Simply repeat the same torque procedure listed above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
had this incomplete reference typed up on my computer, waiting till i could finish it more, but figured i would post what i have for now... please contribute yourself too but keep it strictly tech and keep it organized so it is easy to search. thanks!
bryan

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
hmmm. interesting stuff.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
ho1ywars
Tri-State Addict

Member #282

My Ride:
S14, EF, 600RR

Send a message via AIM to ho1ywars
Suspension Tuning

Last edited by ho1ywars; 11-30-2005 at 09:34 PM.
ho1ywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
05Accent
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1050

My Ride:
2008 Evo X GSR, 2002 Honda CRV

Send a message via AIM to 05Accent
yea it is very interesting.. took forever to read the whole thing tho.. haha
With MIVEC Turbo
Daily-2002 Honda Crv Cruisin'
With Vtec
Quote:
Yea Junior you suck. Everyone boo this man!
Quote:
obviously you have an 05 accent and your picture is just your dream car.
05Accent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:
88 RX7 TII, 2012 WRX hatch

Send a message via AIM to Silverfc88
Tire size calculator: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Offset calculator: http://www.1010tire.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj
Silverfc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:06 AM   #7
Wiisass
Tri-State Addict

Member #744

Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
I have a decent amount of stuff posted in the forum that's listed in my sig. I'm going to be updating it very soon with a lot more technical info. Most of the stuff that will be up there is mostly engineering based suspension tech. So check it out and let me know if you have any questions. I should be able to help.

Just put the TIP In.

Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
jdm free
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1481

My Ride:
6spd Civic

Send a message via AIM to jdm free
found this on suspension...not a long read but seems pretty useful. also has stuff on wheel rates and roll couple

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspe...spensions.html
jdm free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
TURNinCONCEPTS
Vendor

Member #6169

My Ride:
a few scoobies

I'll throw one in here. It by a guy we know who has gotten quite heavily into the calculations behind suspension modeling as a whole.

http://www.buildafastercar.com
TURNinCONCEPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh..._handling.html

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Pure_Talent
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10658

My Ride:
Widebody 98 civic coupe

Send a message via AIM to Pure_Talent
I'm looking to keep near stock height with a sportier suspension, any suggestions? I mean I'd like to go lower, but what I realize is I already scrape on my driveway and certain parking lots now....I like my paint. I'm looking for something a little stiffer (when people sit in the back seat the car rubs against my exhaust), but still comfortable. Also does anyone know of any shops that are good with aftermarket suspension in the Philadelphia/Delaware area?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bul...%20Swaybar.pdf

Whiteline White Paper on Hollow vs. Solid Swaybars

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote