TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #1
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to Qwibby
Qwibby's Build 2001 Turbo LE61T Cavalier **345 WHP Dyno Video**

So after selling my 2002 Cavalier Ls Sport Coupe that had a built motor and 18 psi for some chick so I could afford our place....

insert pic here

I was miserable... I know it's just a cavalier, regardless I put it together with my hands, it's affordable to mod and it gives that factor I love. So after I found her cheating on me the search began... I looked for a few months before I came across this diamond in the rough...

It's a 2001 Cavalier Z24, andI know it looks bad, but I had a vision, and a direction. Make it look semi stock, with wheels and have it surprise everyone. I paid $2000 for this guy. I sold the motor and trans, body kit and the 2.4 LD9 turbo kit. I bought a 2003 Ecotec with 13k miles on it for $350, a F23 Ecotec Getrag trans with 15k on it for $350, my buddy gave me his new spec stage 1 clutch and flywheel for nothing and the last piece to my puzzle was the engine wiring harness and ecu which I got from a JY...

First stage, rip off everything I didn't want, body kit, turbo kit, motor, and trans...

A buddy of mine (steve) and I went to work, we got the engine bay cleaned up, painted and the rest of the wiring ran and ended with this

Next step was putting in the new motor. It had minor bolt ons and a few little tricks I knew of, here is the pic I have of it going in

after it was in, and some issues with old gas and a bad fuel filter we got it running, ran strong and very quiet..

we left it like this for the day

This is at it's first drivable appearence, yes I know, nothing special, but now it moves, and it's getting to where I want it...

Then next step was paint, my buddy and I did a quickie with some duplicolor canned spray gun paint from advance, came out very decent, and this is what it looked like

After this stage I focused on suspension, and handling, I picked up some STD Variant 3 Coilovers, front and rear strut tower braces, a subframe brace and aluminum control arms with prothane bushings.

this is the only pic of I have of my STD's

And everyone knows what STB's look like lol...

After this I got some nice paint and headed on to fix rust with my buddies steve, matt, ryan and myself

Me puking, too much beer

it was honestly a 5 day weekend, of beer, wings, beer, pizza, ****ting, beer and laughing

after realizing this thing was painted 4 times by the previous owner and noticed he half assed installed a sparco gas door we had to cut out the cancer and attempt to rebuild the door, this didnt work

so we shaved it and relocated my gas fill to my trunk jam!

this is how we mix paint! $15 blender from wally world!

Sweet mod!

I am a pretty bad ass tinter... I tinted 6 sets of tails that weekend!

Finished Product!

With the heat of the summer and the side skirts being too low I ditched em, but have a stock lip kit in the shed... working on getting to that...

The last and most frustrating step was the turbo kit install. I have zero pictures, it was me and 2 other's. It was about 48 hrs of issues. Apparently swapping an eco into a pre-eco car has some issues, although it bolts right in the mount locations are slightly off and caused fitment issues. BUT we got it working and installed. at 10 psi Qwibby put down 272.4 whp

Picture of the engine bay

and how Qwibby currently sits

Future mods:

Comp Stage 3 Cams*
External Crank Trigger wheel*
2.4 LE5 Eco Bottom End*
Port and polished head with supertech valvetrain*
Custom Cometic 3 layer MLS HG ".080 thick*
Atomic Hot Side GT30R Kit
Atomic Shorty Header
Atomic 3 Inch Dowpipe

* = Already have

Technically the current turbo setup will support my goal of 400 whp easy. The previous owners car put down 433 on 22 psi with a stock head and cams, I have much bigger cams and the head is ported, I also have bigger displacement. I am hoping to reach 400 on 18 psi.

Thanks Guys I will update as I get parts

Sorta flush, hella flush, what the flush?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Qwibby; 09-23-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Qwibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

Here is a 10 psi pull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHpAxoWZJZo

btw its tough filming and shifting :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
props on doing something different even if its a cavalier. I was impressed with the engine bay for the most part didn't expect to be as modded as it was (assumed hacked together turbo kit with mostly stock parts).
Hope you keep us updated with more info when you put on more parts. I'm actually curious to see the numbers you put out.

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

Thanks, right now it's at 272.4 whp. It will stay there till the new bottom end goes in and top end, then like I said I want at least 360 if not 400

I have the hahn racecraft port fueler system in there, and my buddies custom turbo kit. its a nice deal

Last edited by Qwibby; 09-16-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
delphinE30
Tri-State Addict

Member #14644

My Ride:
1987 BMW 325is

dude i didnt know you did THAT much work on it. alls i know is that i just about shti when i saw/heard it run haha. you really did do a great job on it. it looks sick as well you gunnna be able to grip the road after having over 300+ horse? lol

delphinE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

lol yeah josh, lots of work, and oh yeah I can handle it ;)

Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

I hate the fact that I am so close to getting it done. Anyone else get that way? so close bu it feels so far

Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

How hard would it be for you to swap in the newer Turbo Cobalt SS brake calipers and rotors? With all that speed you may find yourself needign to stop in a hurry.
Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

extremely difficult, Totally different lug patter and spline count on the axels. It would be cheaper to just swap in a big brake kit, which I am looking into

Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

props for doing you and having such passion for a car....

doesnt look bad either...
|Nikon|
Twitter:
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
schaffer
Tri-State Addict

Member #16147

My Ride:
2015 Tacoma.

Finally seeing this. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough on jbo.

Me likey. Nom nom nom.
schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

thanks... idk how you didn't find me on JBO, I've been there 11 years and posted ike 60000 times LMAO

Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
schaffer
Tri-State Addict

Member #16147

My Ride:
2015 Tacoma.

I usually don't check the photo forum in there.

I am digging the boosted eco.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

Ah I stay in boost, NE forum, Performance, Suspension, and OT

Old 09-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
schaffer
Tri-State Addict

Member #16147

My Ride:
2015 Tacoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwibby View Post
Ah I stay in boost, NE forum, Performance, Suspension, and OT
Thats about all i look at...and the classifieds from time to time.

How much did that paint job run you...my car needs to be one color.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

$400 for supplies. We have over half left over.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

I'm glad to see someone who built their car rather then bought it. Props.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #18
StylezTA
Tri-State Addict

Member #4984

your first car looks really familiar from back in the day when i had a turbo cavalier... either way, good move on swapping to eco. I kinda miss those days. If i had the time and money i'd do it all over again with a 2k+ cav.

- 2007 CBR 1000RR
-
StylezTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
Qwibby
Tri-State Addict

Member #17285

My Ride:
2001 Turbo Cavalier

thanks jp

it's possible style - I went to alvernia, and lived in berks and northampton county

Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
FazdaGt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3161

My Ride:
compensates for my size.

Send a message via AIM to FazdaGt
I didnt know you were on here phil... this car has come a long, long way from the first time I saw it man!

I long for a turbo probe again, oh the old days.....

Quote:
"Hi, Italy? I broke one of your Lambos, I can has new oil pan and bumper?"
FazdaGt is offline   Reply With Quote