TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:
92 BMW 525, 95 BMW 525, 87 BMW 325, 95 BMW 530

Send a message via AIM to SoStock92
My motor build as a whole

I am going to make a unified thread that will contain all progress on my engine build so others can follow. It has been expressed to me that people wish some of my other write-ups were around, so I figure I can start by encapsulating this one.

The Plan
The goal is to have a 8.3 - 8.4:1 CR M50 non vanos motor factory fresh or better. I already have the turbo setup alive and well, so now to extract as much power as possible I need a low compression setup that is strong and fresh.

The Parts

Con Rod Bearing Set Std
Con Rod Bolts 53mm
Flywheel Bolt 12x50mm
Main Bearing Set Std
Oil Filter Kit Mahle
Oil Pressure Switch
Piston Ring Set Std 83.98mm
Timing Chain Guide Cam to Cam
Timing Chain Guide Crank to Ex. Cam
Timing Chain Guide Lower Crank Ex. Cam
Timing Chain Lower Crankshaft to Cam
Timing Chain Upper Cam to Cam
Valve Cover Grommet
Valve Stem Seal Set 7mm
Water Pump Plastic Impeller OE
ARP M50 Head Stud Kit
ARP M50 Main Stud Kit
VAC MLS Head Gasket 0.140"
Block/Lower Engine Gasket Set
Expansion Plug 45mm Freeze Plugs
Valve Cover Gasket
Spark Plug Hole Gasket

A detailed list can be viewed at This link.

-- Stock balanced pistons
-- Stock balanced rods
-- Stock polished crankshaft

All parts will be bead blasted or soda blasted. Majority of external parts will be powder coated, block powder coated or painted, head left alone.

Pics

Here is the motor, a '92 Non Vanos M50 from an E34 that had been wrecked. Purchased from a friend for $250 in Connecticut. Drove up and brought her home in the back of PT's truck:

We took it apart the night we got it home, and noticed how clean this engine was for being 200,000 miles deep in life and how there was no damage to any components. This engine had a DIY turbo setup with a RRFPR and a T3/T04E in the former E34:

My parts were taken apart and stored in boxes/bags for about a 9 months - 1 year, until I could afford to start purchasing items to start rebuilding. Initially I only planned to do rings and bearings and clean up the motor somewhat. Having met up with my friend Jay and his convincing me/demonstration of how easy powdercoating is, I went nuts and decided to powder coat anything/everything I could. Once I met Jim, a machinist at Jay's business, we went from doing a stock factory fresh rebuild to ARP head and main studs to fully balancing the bottom end to polishing the crankshaft to god knows what else will come!

The first valve cover was done in a translucent gold finish:

It came out pretty well as you can see it looks great on the car:

But I had already powder coated a bunch of parts for this new motor and decided to do the other valve cover in silver, to match my parts. I got carried away with powder coating and cleaning stuff but this is the end result:

Now that school is done (never more!) I took the time to focus on this engine as I really want to make power and push the thing to the limit once I have a fall back car. I ordered all of the above parts in a couple phases, but the majority of the parts were collected about a month ago:

It was time to get serious with cleaning up the head and block so I could send them out to be machined.

We started with the cylinder head which looked like utter hell in as you can see in the very first pic in this thread, but after a couple hours of sodium blasting (again thanks to Jays having every tool under the sun), I was able to get it super clean. The only downside, I will say, to using a soda blaster is that the soda gets EVERYWHERE inside the piece. So, I have probably washed this head about... 4 - 5 times now. I am satisfied that it is clean, but yeah it's definitely annoying. Sand/bead blasting like we did with the other parts is not an option because you cannot afford to alter the finish/dimension of the combustion chamber and as I have experienced and no matter what anyone tells you, bead blasting DOES remove/alter material.

The cleaned up cylinder head looks like:

Quite awesome if you ask me.

The head just came back from the machine shop and was confirmed flat so all they did was barely touch the surface of the head - has some nice machining in it that is sure to give a good seal. I am not sure whether or not I'll be using the copper head gasket spray but I have purchased it just in case so last minute I am not scouring trying to find something ridiculous like that.

Here is the head back from the machine shop - doesn't look much different. You can see there are new valve seals installed:

excuse cell phone pics

Today [7/7/2007] was spent up at Jay's lapping the valves into the head. I am retaining all of the original valves because they are perfectly fine and straight and just needed to be cleaned up of carbon. The intake valves were a BREEZE to clean. Brushed them right up and they came out as shiny as new. The exhaust valves, however, were very stubborn (as one can expect). We had originally tried soda blasting them and I was only marginally successful with that. I have read that you can bead blast the valve face but I don't want to risk destroying the valve surface. Wire brushed them again, and it proved to be quite adequate in cleaning. There is still some carbon on the lower stem/flute of the valve (backside) on the exhaust but it's sure to be more than fine. I couldn't justify $270 in new exhaust valves (not even including intake valves) and I have talked to many people who said using them over again is safe - if they were bent there'd be no question as to what would have to happen. I don't have the money to rock aftermarket Ferrea valves or anything like, and so the stockies will have to do - I am sure I won't be disappointed. The guides are very long and provide good wear characteristics (if any wear!) and so I am content with the valvetrain setup.

Here we are after having cleaned up the valves:

You can see the exhaust valves have some discoloration of carbon that was once there - its just discoloration now. The actual carbon (chalky definite surface substance) is all gone. They are smooth to the touch and you can see the original machining grooves that are a characteristic of the surface.

After the valves were cleaned up, I lapped them into the seats using Permatex valve lapping compound - it was coarser than the Clover compound that Jay had which aided in the swiftness of completion - but was definitely not overly coarse. I read that a nice mid grade like the compound I hard purchased was the best to use and had the original valve seats been re-cut, then I should use a series of lapping compounds. Valves seat very nicely and cleanly and are sure to pose no leaks - the seats were in immaculate condition as it was based on the pics earlier in the thread.

Here are the valve seat surfaces after being lapped:

****ty cell pic, but you can see the discolored flute of the valve, then a grey surface, and then a discolored section again. The grey section is where the valve seat meats the valve and the compound is sandwiched between two said surfaces. Jay was pointing out, and I agree, it looks as though the factory did a really good job designing the head - the valve seat area is quite wide and I have seen some VW and Honda heads which do not have nearly as much valve seat area.

After lapping everything we cleaned the head in a parts washer and washed all the valves off to insure no compound was left over. Cleanliness is godliness they say. We were going to install the valvetrain but realized that a member on the forum has my friends cam/valve install tool so we have to wait. No big deal.

Current progress on the block is that it is still at the machine shop being wrapped up sometime early this next work week we think. The rods will be balanced to one another and the crank polished/oil orifice polished so as to insure clean running through new bearings.

I will update this very thread with more information once I have stuff to post
SoStock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

soobscreebed
Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
**** is sizzick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BUY MY STUFF!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
james_ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Very nice.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:

thx guys
Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
yellow2000S/R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2462

My Ride:
1996 7.3 f250, 2001 Focus wagon

nice work, I'm watching this topic... SUBSCRIBED
yellow2000S/R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:

Dropping it in as soon as possible!

Update time!

I just got back from Jay's to pay da' man. Motor looks really good - completely degreased via hot tank and such. Crank is cleaned up and Jim is going to polish the oil journals at assembly time - Jim is offering to put it together and he's experienced so I am going to go ahead and have him do it. I will be stopping by to check out what gets done, so once I start phase 2 (or 3?) of my car I can have an idea of good practice.

Anyway, here are the pics:

Crankshaft is all cleaned up/polished - jim is going to polish the oil journals even more to insure no catching on the new bearings.

Block after hot tank and hone (stock hone for 84mm pistons) - will be powdercoated a high shine/bright silver.

Rods, dynamically balanced to one another both ends with pins, to insure correct bob weights and all

Pistons all balanced in and soda blasted clean of 200k miles of carbon - check out the condition! (the dirty spots are from letting the piston air dry from being washed with water - going to clean again jays part washer rather than water).

That's the update!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Joined, awesome detail

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Are you using the standard pistons? Wouldn't forged pistons be a good idea, or are they forged already?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
Good progress!! Are you doing this at your place or PT's? I need to stop by an check it all out.

sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #11
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
Are you using the standard pistons? Wouldn't forged pistons be a good idea, or are they forged already?
Standard pistons - lower compression to start, and will result in 8.34:1

The whole point of this build is to be budget minded. So far for this entire rebuild with all new everything except rods/pistons/crank/valves/cams, I am at $1000 with machining. This setup has been pushed VERY high, stock M52 motor has been to nearly 700whp and didn't break, they owner just decided to build another. The rods are forged and shot peened for plasticity - helps keep the strength there but less brittle. The crankshaft is cast spheroidal graphite impregnated which results in a very clean, even casting. The engine, in stock form , is quite impressive for having been a mass produced engine - it was only produced in 1992 and one of my theories is that all the attention to detail cost them too much. This motor originally did not have knock sensors. '93 they starts knock sensors, thinner rods, different crank, different pistons, etc.

Once I remove the current engine from the car I am thinking I will build JUST the bottom end of that motor in the near future. Bored and stroked using another similar factory forged crank from a 2.8L and bored over 85.5mm should yield 3.1L of displacement with a compression ratio of my choice. I really do not think that I will have any issues with a 8.34:1 motor unless I hae it tuned poorly - I plan on seeking professional tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisforsurfing View Post
Good progress!! Are you doing this at your place or PT's? I need to stop by an check it all out.
Its actually at my buddy Jay's in pottstown - he's got insane **** out there, basically a huge machine shop (he/his dad own a polymer injectin company and machine their own tooling) which is great because that's how I've had access to the soda blaster, etc.

I just realized that I can take one of my other intake cams from this build, plop it in where the exhaust cam would be, and have a 240/240 setup good for a turbocharged configuration with 9.7mm of lift on each camshaft.. hm...

Last edited by SoStock92; 07-14-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:

Missed your post winfred - yo you need to check out megalogviewer - you auto tune your cruise map and load your WOT region a little richer than you anticipate needing. Datalog, and send the log file and the MSQ setup file through MegaLogViewer, it uses a "VE Analyzer" and tunes your whole map to match up with your target AFR table! Its very very very cool and works very well. I had my fueling down in about 45 mins using this method.

Anyway, update time!

The pistons are now ceramic coated with TechLine Cerakote CBC1 coating - was fairly painless, though
getting it to spray through one of various guns was a challenge. One piston was either not aluminum oxide
blasted enough or had some oil still on it, and it had a small spot that bubbled, and is going to be re-coated.
Otherwise, they came out real well!

They had a slight little "lip" to the finish since they were masked then sprayed. Using a yellow scotchguard pad, the lip is
easily removed with very little rubbing (it isn't bonded to metal so it moves from the object).
Here is a pic with slight lip:

All cleaned up:

Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
BlackBulletTSi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #224

My Ride:
99 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to BlackBulletTSi
very clean man cant wait to hear it

New DJ community being built,
COMING SOON!!
BlackBulletTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
JoshV70
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3557

My Ride:
1998 Volvo V70

Picture 5 and 6 in your first post...is that polished or powdercoated? If powdercoated, what color?

98 Volvo V70 AWD
98 Volvo S70 T5-M
JoshV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:

Powdercoated - I forget the name of it, it's from Eastwood.