TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
wheresmycar
Tri-State Addict

Member #5863

Insurance needed to park non-used car on the street?

City streets.

Registration only?
or
Registration + Insurance?

I just don't want the Philadelphia Parking Authority driving around with the plate recognition cameras ticketing or towing the car.

Last edited by wheresmycar; 07-10-2009 at 01:00 AM.
wheresmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
emdot
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1692

IIRC, you need both. you cant register (techically) a car without insurance. so when you do drop insurance coverage, PennDot is notified that you have no insurance. When the plate is ran, it'll come up. Also, make sure you have no parking tickets either.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

emdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
jjm4life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4443

My Ride:
jew canoe

Send a message via AIM to jjm4life
reg and insurance, since im almost positive you cant have one without the other in PA. depending on where you are in the city yyoure going to need a resident permit parking sticker as well. o, and current insepction... i think peteyturbo got towed for some bs like that not too long ago
Old 07-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
wheresmycar
Tri-State Addict

Member #5863

Thanks.
Yeah. You can't register a car without insurance.
In this case:
The car is registered but no longer insured.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
not having insurance will be good when someone hits it or steals it.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

depending on your agency you can do parked-only insurance. Its like 12 bucks a month just to get theft coverage basically. However, if it shows on your odo at your next inspection that you've been driving it more than just to get it inspected they will probably bone the hell out of you.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
SheaButter
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #11890

My Ride:
2008 scuby wrx

If you have a registered car in PA with insurance, when insurance is dropped on the vehicle a message is sent to PENDOT. You will get a fine in the mail for not having insurance, so you are honestly gonna need both.
SheaButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

^^thats simply not true. I have dropped insurance on ALOT of registered cars, they just cant sit on the street, or atleast you cant get caught with them sittin on the street.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
SheaButter
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #11890

My Ride:
2008 scuby wrx

Then I have been misinformed, sorry about that.
SheaButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

You can't register your car without insurance.

You cannot park a non-registered vehicle on a public road.

If you cancel insurencae, you are required by law to mail your plate back to them, failure to do so can result in an FSTOP on your car (temp registration suspension)

** YOU CAN CALL ANY AUTO TAG PLACE TO VERIFY THIS **
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

Again, not true. You can drop insurance and keep the plate.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly2k3 View Post
Again, not true. You can drop insurance and keep the plate.
I'm sure there are different laws in each state, but PA is what I stated. I know because I went through it when I deployed and dropped insurnace. Got a 90 day suspension on my registration for not sendign the plate in when I droped my policy. To top that off, the 90 days didn't start until they received the plate after I came home.

It was to say the least, a PITA
Old 07-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

I dropped insurance, but didnt get any suspension on my registration. Ive owned more than one car that ive had to drop insurance on and just let sit.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
terrorcel
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #9515

My Ride:
2006 Suzuki GSXR-600

I dropped insurance on my Bimmer once (by accident), paid my insurance with an old debit card and PennDOT was notified, I didn't notice until next billing cycle and 31 days had passed, over 30 days w/o insurance and I got a 90 day registration suspension. It sucked dick.

Then I dropped insurance on my tercel (i was selling it) and I didn't care if my reg got suspended, and I never heard ANYTHING from the state. I still have my license plate, reg card, etc.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Financial Responsibility Overview
Pennsylvania law requires all Pennsylvania motor vehicle owners to maintain vehicle liability insurance (financial responsibilty) on a currently registered vehicle. Vehicle liability insurance covers the property damage or injuries you may cause others in an accident.

A lapse in insurance coverage results in the suspension of your vehicle registration privilege for three months, unless the lapse of insurance was for a period of less than 31 days and the owner or registrant proves to PennDOT that the vehicle was not operated during this short lapse in coverage. If PennDOT determines that you operated your vehicle without the required insurance, your driver's license will also be suspended for three months. The registration plate, sticker, card and driver's license must be surrendered to PennDOT in order to serve the suspension. Restoration fees of $50.00 and proof of insurance must be submitted prior to having either registration or driving privileges returned.

Please note that insurance companies are required to notify PennDOT when an insurance policy is cancelled by the insured. Insurance companies are NOT required by law to notify PennDOT when a vehicle owner acquires a new insurance policy with the same or different insurance company. It is the vehicle owner's responsibility to notify PennDOT of the new insurance after receiving a proof letter from PennDOT. Failure to respond to PennDOT's proof letter will result in the suspension of the vehicle registration. A suspension may be avoided by the return of the registration plate, sticker and card to PennDOT at the time the insurance policy is cancelled or financial responsibility lapses. Registration plates, stickers and cards must be received by PennDOT no more than 30 days after insurance was cancelled. Registration plates, stickers and cards received by PennDOT after 30 days will result in a three-month registration suspension. To surrender the registration plate, sticker and card, mail them to:

Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Return Tag Unit
P.O. Box 68597
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8597

Important: Any vehicle which is currently registered MUST have insurance (financial responsibility). Customers should always surrender their registration plate to PennDOT when insurance is not in effect, even if the vehicle is in for repairs or being stored and not being driven. Otherwise a suspension of the registration may occur.

Other Items
If a customer transfers their plate to another vehicle before or within 30 days of the cancellation, the record will be rescinded.
If a customer transfers their plate after 30 days of the cancellation, credit will start from the date the plate was transferred. The suspension is imposed against the vehicle, not the plate.
The customer has the right to appeal the registration suspension within 30 days of the mail date of the official notice. They cannot file the appeal after the 30 days.
If a suspension has been issued and the customer's plate has been destroyed, a notarized statement indicating the disposition of the plate and the date it was destroyed must be submitted. If the plate has been stolen, a copy of the police incident report must be submitted. In both cases upon receipt of the requested information, credit for the three-month suspension will begin. The credit will begin from the date the plate was destroyed or stolen.
If the motorist has moved to another state, a copy of either the registration or certificate of title from the new state must be provided in order to release the suspension.
If the vehicle has been sold to a motorist in another state, submission of a notarized statement indicating the name of the owner, the state it is being registered in and the date of sale will release the suspension.
If the motorist returned the license plate, card and sticker and PennDOT has no record of receiving it, submission of the receipt issued by PennDOT or a notarized affidavit stating the date the plate was mailed will begin credit for the three-month suspension.
If the plate was lost or left on a vehicle that was traded in or repossessed, submission of a notarized affidavit indicating it is no longer in your possession and the reason is required. The date of the notarized affidavit will begin credit for the three-month suspension.
If the plate was taken from the customer by a police officer, the customer should submit a copy of the seized report issued by the police officer or a notarized affidavit stating the date the plate was taken, in order to begin credit for the three-month suspension. The date provided on the copy of the seized report and the date the police officer took the plate is one in the same.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

hmm, i guess the state just slips over me hahaha.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
turboman808
Tri-State Addict

Member #5285

I have a company car and they forgot to pay the insurance. $300 fine from NY State.
turboman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #18
3rdGenMr2Girl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9924

My Ride:
1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo

Send a message via AIM to 3rdGenMr2Girl
you can only drop insurance on a car and not send the plates in if you have another car under your insurance policy. i know from personal experience from about 7 months ago.
)
3rdGenMr2Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #19
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenMr2Girl View Post
you can only drop insurance on a car and not send the plates in if you have another car under your insurance policy. i know from personal experience from about 7 months ago.
Sounds shady lol.

I bet the insurance agent didn't report the lapse of insurance because a policy was still open. Technically, they should have reported it. Can't complain when its an error in your favor though!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
3rdGenMr2Girl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9924

My Ride:
1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo

Send a message via AIM to 3rdGenMr2Girl
^ could be. i went to drop insurance on one of the cars on my policy and asked the guy if i had to send the plates in and he said no because there was still another car on the policy. fine with me lol.
)
3rdGenMr2Girl is offline   Reply With Quote