TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
cranshinibon
Tri-State Addict

Member #2907

My Ride:
1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2l V6

Send a message via AIM to cranshinibon
AWD / MPG Car list

Can someone list some cars within the range of 4k that are reliable and either awd or get good mpg....a combination would be awesome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
cranshinibon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
or you could search and stop making a bajillion threads. There are sites that list these specs you are asking for. Our forum isn't the only site on the internet...I know its hard to believe..but its true.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
goodfella732
Tri-State Addict

Member #3168

My Ride:
Es Are Tee Quattro

You're getting up there with Cleanneon and useless posts. Do you own research and quit being lazy.

2006 OBP Subaru STi
goodfella732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
cranshinibon
Tri-State Addict

Member #2907

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh DIRT View Post
or you could search and stop making a bajillion threads. There are sites that list these specs you are asking for. Our forum isn't the only site on the internet...I know its hard to believe..but its true.
yea your sarcasm amazes me. oh and i havent made what you call a bajillion threads...instead of making another useless +1 post realize that im asking for some trusted opinions...obviously yours isn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella732 View Post
You're getting up there with Cleanneon and useless posts. Do you own research and quit being lazy.
oh man youre so right, get two things straight 1.) im not cleanneon and im not asking about some stupid project, im asking about some good advice on an awd/reliable car make. 2.) ive done my own research but i havent found any concluding information, so get your facts straight before you go off accusing people of being lazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Hey, I am not saying that you are making pointless threads. I am just saying that most people on here dont know the specific mileage of cars under 4k that are all wheel drive. Its a tall order to ask for.

Instead you could go on autotrader like I just did, search for used cars around your area...then click on model information. Itl give you mileage, weight, and all of that good stuff.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modeli...ref=srl#vdptop
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
cranshinibon
Tri-State Addict

Member #2907

My Ride:

Quote:
Hey, I am not saying that you are making pointless threads. I am just saying that most people on here dont know the specific mileage of cars under 4k that are all wheel drive. Its a tall order to ask for.

Instead you could go on autotrader like I just did, search for used cars around your area...then click on model information. Itl give you mileage, weight, and all of that good stuff.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modeli...ref=srl#vdptop
oh ok, now that things are straight lol i thought you were saying i was making pointless threads...problem solved there.

well i mean i know civcs, crx, elantra, focus are all good on gas but ive also heard some cant be overly trustworthy. I didnt state clearly in my question was from anyone who knew from first hand experience what type of cars out there are awd and reliable and may have good gas mileage. Ive seen plenty of foresters, legacies, and wrx wagons but im looking for something a bit smaller and not so plain. It may just be a dd but i wanna make it something i can call my own.

edit: thanks for the link pete, i like that car actually lol. i didnt know you could search through autotrader with mpg or whatever, ive just gone through fueleconomy but its so hard to tell if theyre reliable cars or not.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

well if your budget is 4k you are looking at older imprezas, legacies. dsms and maybe a few others...those are the awd options in that price range.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
MPowerKai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1011

My Ride:
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to MPowerKai
older awd vehicles mpg are not that great, my gc8 guzzles gas just as much as my M3 does.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

amen to that. but isnt your modded. A good tune up will probably do it well.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
MPowerKai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1011

My Ride:
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to MPowerKai
Quote:
amen to that. but isnt your modded. A good tune up will probably do it well.
mmhhh yes, a tune. I have an intake, borla headers, and a 2006 wrx exhaust, everything else is for handling
Old 07-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Basicly you arent gonna find any awd cars that get good gas mileage. Just get some old fwd honda, nissan, toyota. Put some snow tires all around on it and as long as you arent dumb it'll get you were you need to go.

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
cranshinibon
Tri-State Addict

Member #2907

My Ride:

Quote:
well if your budget is 4k you are looking at older imprezas, legacies. dsms and maybe a few others...those are the awd options in that price range.
it doesnt seem like a lot of cars really have AWD anyways aside from them. then again there is always that awd civic lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest_Bob View Post
Basicly you arent gonna find any awd cars that get good gas mileage. Just get some old fwd honda, nissan, toyota. Put some snow tires all around on it and as long as you arent dumb it'll get you were you need to go.
i wanted awd just because ive heard they have the best handling. im not gonna go off roading or anything and i always drive smart in the rain/snow...i dont mess around with the elements.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
italianblaze
Tri-State Addict

Member #2973

My Ride:
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew XLT 5.4

Send a message via AIM to italianblaze
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella732 View Post
Im sorry but theyre rite but i dont think your a tool like some people who make posts but i agree a simple google search could solve your problem quite accurately and simply

91 Laser Rs-T Build - on the back burner

italianblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #14
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

AWD and best gas mileage don't really go hand in hand...

Problem is that there is all that extra drivetrain weight to move around so you need extra power to move it.

Your best bet would be subarus or dsms. A subaru in that price range will be more reliable than a dsm, but a dsm will be quicker (in both cases statistically speaking). Take your pick

Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #15
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to WRX_JB
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37154

AWD , great on gas

-AWD Civic 91' - Sold -2000 Cavalier -Sold
-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
WRX_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #16
cranshinibon
Tri-State Addict

Member #2907

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianblaze View Post
Im sorry but theyre rite but i dont think your a tool like some people who make posts but i agree a simple google search could solve your problem quite accurately and simply
thanks man, yeah i looked around ...i just didnt put too much heart in it the first time...lol i was piss tired when i made the post. i found a few pretty nice cars through google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_ View Post
AWD and best gas mileage don't really go hand in hand...

Problem is that there is all that extra drivetrain weight to move around so you need extra power to move it.

Your best bet would be subarus or dsms. A subaru in that price range will be more reliable than a dsm, but a dsm will be quicker (in both cases statistically speaking). Take your pick
Im really considering a legacy...theyre not horrible on gas and theyre pretty reliable. i dont like dsms bc they really have no leg room or expansion for other passengers.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #17
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:
Shelby Z, ZJ, NSX, CBR954RR, Hawk GT

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranshinibon View Post
it doesnt seem like a lot of cars really have AWD anyways aside from them. then again there is always that awd civic lol

i wanted awd just because ive heard they have the best handling. im not gonna go off roading or anything and i always drive smart in the rain/snow...i dont mess around with the elements.
awds are typically understeerers. in terms of average handling ability by layout id rank them:

#1 MR
#2 RR
#3 FR
#4 AWD/FF (tie)

with proper suspension setup, alignment, and tires. ANY car will handle well. my daytona turns like its its job, its frightening really. im convinced its limit is higher than the nsx's
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #18
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to WRX_JB
Look at my post : )

-AWD Civic 91' - Sold -2000 Cavalier -Sold
-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
WRX_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 AM   #19
Gregory
Tri-State Addict

Member #1461

My Ride:
1998 Mitsubish Eclipse GS-T, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1st gen AWD dsm could be picked up for that price, no problem. Oh wait, you said reliable? The popular belief is that they are not that.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 AM   #20
Gregory
Tri-State Addict

Member #1461

My Ride:
1998 Mitsubish Eclipse GS-T, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

http://www.dsmtuners.com/classifieds...ct=62291&cat=2

look, I found one... Have fun