TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Networking: requests and offers
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Question about how to deal with a car dealer falsely advertising.

Hey everyone.

I've come across an interesting situation with a car dealer in NJ. I'm shopping for a car to replace my 300c srt8, and im going back with a Scion xB.

I found one at the cherry hill triplex, but the pictures looked a bit odd to me and some friends. It turns out, they've photoshopped the pictures to try and cover up damage to the front bumper.

I know in the past in PA you could contact the state police about an issue like this. How could I go about reporting this in NJ? Is it even worth reporting?

I tried zooming in/enlarging the area that was shopped

Pictures:

Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Maybe the attorney general's website has some info?
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

I'm not sure how to go about it, but I would definitely try and report this. I had a bad experience with Cherry Hill as well. Not like this, but just bad business in general.

FRP™ #5
HatchSurfer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
VETTE_50_TH
Tri-State Addict

Member #8419

Bad photoshop is bad. If they are certified to sell Scions you can call Scion of America and let them know and also the BBB for starters. AG might be interested but prolly not.
VETTE_50_TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

its not a scion dealership, so scion corporate wont care. BBB is useless, but the AG was very interested in what I had to say.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
VETTE_50_TH
Tri-State Addict

Member #8419

This could easily get their license taken away especially if you find other cases. I would skim over some other cars and see if you can find another one.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
flyers7732
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13464

Send a message via AIM to flyers7732
it was prolly a quick picture so they could put it online while they fixed the bumper, obvisouly they wouldnt sell the car nor would someone buy it if the bumper was messed up when they physically saw the car.
flyers7732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers7732 View Post
it was prolly a quick picture so they could put it online while they fixed the bumper, obvisouly they wouldnt sell the car nor would someone buy it if the bumper was messed up when they physically saw the car.
The dealer could have put up "stock photos" of the vehicle like many sellers do on autotrader and cars.com. What they did was very deceptive and dishonest.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
VETTE_50_TH
Tri-State Addict

Member #8419

Photoshopping a car that is for sale is immoral.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
JerseyTuscani
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #968

My Ride:
Heron White G8 GT

Cherry Hill triplex can suck ****. When I was in the market for the Trailblazer SS I went there to take a look at a white one they had advertised for sale. Turns out the manager was out driving it around as his personal vehicle, so the salesman pulled up with a regular TB and told me it's the same thing. I looked at him and just walked out. Report them Jim
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
05GT
The TST IT Ninja

Member #1598

My Ride:
2007 SRT8 Jeep / 2013 Shelby GT500

Scumbags. I went there over 6 years ago to look at buying a used daily driver. I started to sign some paperwork, and then they came back with a completely different monthly payment, and I said no way, and was getting ready to leave. They called me into a "managers" office who literally told me that I just signed a binding contract and that I MUST buy something from them. I looked at them in disbelief that they actually tried to tell me that I wasn't allowed to walk out of there without buying a car from them lol.

I told them to call my lawyer, got up, and walked out lol.
05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Here's a bit of an update to this story:

I bought the aforementioned car. After 3-4 weeks of wasting time and negotiations, I got the car to a price I was extremely happy with. August 30th is when the papers were signed on the Scion. They called me in the morning to finalize the numbers with me, so I could get the check from my credit union. I was going to have the check overnighted, but they said for the deal to happen I need to come in that night to sign the paperwork and leave with the car. Guess they wanted the sale as the last one of the month.

Get to the dealership, had me there for 5 hours to finish paperwork. Here's a news flash to me, they MAKE me fill out a credit report to "secure" the car for until I come back and hand them my bank check. I put up the option of putting a hold on my credit card for the sale amount of the car, and the finance manager refuses to do so, since his cashiers aren't there (this was around 10pm or so) I ask him if worked his way up in the dealership or started there as the finance manager, and if he remembers how to use a cash register. ....blank stare....

I was planning on transferring my vanity plate from the SRT8 to the Scion, but I guess since I was out of state, they needed to put a temp paper tag on it. Bummer.

So they do loan paperwork that will be destroyed once I drop off the check. Not happy about that at all. Sign all the BS paperwork needed, and I leave with the car. That was Labor Day weekend. Bank is closed, blah blah blah, finally get my check that following Wednesday and drop it off at the dealership. Oh the irony, they cant process the payment because there aren't any cashiers there. I tell them to sprinkle some pixie dust and make one appear because I'm fat and hungry and unless someone was buying me dinner, their time with me was limited.

So they have the check, I have my receipt on September 5th. Done deal right? Not at all....

Get a call from the dealership a week or so later asking when I was going to drop off the check for the car, and I begin to freak out. It was the Finance Manager (Jim Grimm) on the phone. Yipee. I have my receipt right in front of me, read him every bit of info from it, and he goes on his merry way.

So at this point we're mid to late September. My trade in still isn't paid off, the check for the purchased vehicle wasn't cashed, and my temp tag has expired. Granted I've made payments on the new and old car, and I cannot drive the new car.

...:::BIG JIM MAD:::...

After chasing down the Sales Manager (Rich York) and being completely ignored by my salesman (Lance Lightner) and not getting any answers, I contact the NJ State Police. Sales manager refused to provide a rental car, or reimburse me for any expenses I've incurred if I got one on my own. Told me I was pretty much on my own. They did tell me that if I chose to drive with the expired temporary tags and get stopped, they'll cover whatever the fines are. I asked for a copy of what was said written and signed by management at the dealership, and nothing was provided. Reason I asked specifically for a written doc is because in the packet of paperwork I signed taking delivery of my car, there was a document that stated "no verbal agreements will be upheld by any associates of XXXX" The NJ State Police put me in contact with the Division of Motor Vehicle Services and I'm instructed to draft a letter and they'll place an investigator on my case and get me answers ASAP. Letter is composed and faxed over Tuesday afternoon, I get a phone call from my investigator Thursday 9am and he assures me he's getting to the bottom of this. Friday afternoon I get a call from the General Manager of the Cherry Hill Triplex (Mr. Kopp) saying that he'll reimburse me for any rental car expenses I've had, and he'll have an enterprise employee contact me directly as to where they can pick me up in a rental car. Boom, Friday evening I'm in a ballin' 2011 Toyota Rav4.

I'm in the rental for about 3.5 weeks. In that time, they cash the check for the scion, pay off my SRT8, and need to get the title reissued from PA's DMV multiple times for the Scion. Pretty sure they were floating the title from the previous owners, they lost it and it was reissued to the previous owners. PO had to sign it to the dealership, dealer had to sign it to my credit union.

So, Finally I get the proper registration card for my car I purchased over 2 months ago. They didn't even renew the registration.

What shows up a couple days later? THE TITLE TO MY THE SCION! The dealership sent me the title instead of my credit union.

So now I'm trying to get a hold of someone in the dealership to have this straightened out.

Moral of the story:
STAY AWAY FROM CHERRY HILL TRIPLEX
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Sounds like what happened when I bought my GTO...
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
EvlEgl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1412

My Ride:
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Send a message via AIM to EvlEgl
Oh I got a doozy story from them as well...And they can go **** themselves twice over as they will never EVER get another dime from me or anyone I know at all for the rest of my existence, And anyone I come into contact with will be told to stay away as well.

September of 10' I had to trade in my 05' F150, Long story short Me and the ex were on it together and she wanted either off our out of the truck loan, Couldnt get Refi'd so I went to The triplex to try my hand at trading the truck in. They take me out in a Used 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 Power everything leather interior bluetooth etc etc...Fully loaded Truck. I explain what Im looking for and they show me a Base Ram Long bed 2wd with Manual EVERYTHING...I'm like no...Thats downgrading and Im not gonna do it. So the salesmen asks me what I want...So I say, That pretty little truck you had me driving to your secondary lots to look at ****tier trucks.

Apparently There was a 2008 that was just traded in from PA, Quad Cab 4x4 Power everything...Exactly what I wanted. So I tell them the number I want...They come back with an insultingly high offer I tell them to **** off and get up to walk out. The salesmen asks me AGAIN what my "Magic" Number is...3 more tries for them to get it where I want and they still werent there...For sake of the story I said I refuse to pay more than $420 a month for this truck, I looked him dead in the eyes and said I wont pay $420 and a penny...There last offer was $425...I blew up stormed out and said you just insulted me Im done. After some banter back and forth the sales manager walked out and with his arm extended said
"Ok $420" it was to the point where at that point i was like no **** this i dont even want the damn truck anymore...9 hours later of being in the dealership i drove home with it. They do shady buisness, they didnt ask for ANY Documents from me AT ALL and jerked me around for hours on end for no reason.

So jump ahead 3 months, It's Xmas eve of 2010 and my T case in the truck goes Kaboom because the truck had a vibration while driving it. Nothing major but enough to notice at certain speeds. I had tried to address it with a few things, Thought it was the tires unbalanced checked out some other things with my dad at his shop...Finally he rode in it with me and said it feels like your drive shaft. Well with the holidays upon us I didnt have much extra time to take my truck into the dealer to check it out so I figured ive been driving it for 3 months it can wait till the holiday season is over and then I'll deal with it. Turns out they sold me the truck with a dent in the drive shaft which caused the t case to crack which the REFUSED to cover under warranty because I "Didnt bring it in to have it looked it" yet they "Supposedly" certified the vehicle as a Dodge used certified car or whatever BS they say it is. And tried to charge me 2 grand to get it fixed...Another slew of expletives and I literally drove my broken truck a block over to my dads shop and we fixed it ourselves for 800$

Sales sucks, The service department does ANYTHING to not put through a warranty claim. There rude and when they call me on my phone all the time to check up and ask me how im doing and if i wanna trade my truck in I kindly tell them to **** off on the phone and never call me again.

So in short, I feel your Pain man...Good luck and I wish you the best
EvlEgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
VETTE_50_TH
Tri-State Addict

Member #8419

Im going to forward this over to my friend who does back auditing for dealerships.

Last edited by VETTE_50_TH; 11-09-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

So, I'm bumping this back up to the top. I still have the title to my car, my credit union has no collateral for my loan, and the Cherry Hill Triplex hasn't returned any of my phone calls.

Does anyone have a lawyer they can recommend for me to hand this over to? Its been 3 months (literally) since I purchased the vehicle, and the transaction is not complete.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
VETTE_50_TH
Tri-State Addict

Member #8419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
So, I'm bumping this back up to the top. I still have the title to my car, my credit union has no collateral for my loan, and the Cherry Hill Triplex hasn't returned any of my phone calls.

Does anyone have a lawyer they can recommend for me to hand this over to? Its been 3 months (literally) since I purchased the vehicle, and the transaction is not complete.
I think the state needs to get involved man. There is some obvious fishy business going on.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
I've NEVER seen a dealer with reviews as bad as the triplex. When I sold cars and had customers tell me they were going there, I would LOL and wish them luck.

Last edited by CleanNeon98; 12-01-2012 at 11:51 AM.
CleanNeon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
I've NEVER seen a dealer with reviews as bad as the triplex. When I sold cars and had customers tell me they were going there, I would LOL and wish them luck.
Yeah, I agree. Its a shame nothing could happen with the car I found through your place.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
yellow2000S/R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2462

My Ride:
1996 7.3 f250, 2001 Focus wagon

Just take your title to your loan officer and they will put an electronic lein on it... at least that's what my bank did with no charge.
yellow2000S/R is offline   Reply With Quote