TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What should I do
Intake 7 63.64%
UDP 0 0%
Pulley set 0 0%
Slotted brakes and performance pads 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
What's next

So far the only performance mod I have is a Revo Short shifter. I am looking into this intake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-03...spagenameZWDVW

Or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...47278331QQrdZ1

Or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ultra...47462079QQrdZ1

Or

http://truehonda.com/inventory.php?a...tdetail&id=489
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
gsrboi80
Tri-State Addict

Member #2795

My Ride:
Evolution Baby

Dont get a crank pulley esspecialy an Ebay crank pulley. They are no good for your car. Many will argue but the truth is that over time it will put unessasayr wear on the internals do to the aftermarket pulley not being harmonically ballanced like the stocker. Pick up the couple hp in other places and leave the pulley alone.

Race cars use lightened crank pulleys. But thoses engines get overhauled after a couple races.

Save your money vs. buying any of that stuff and boost that thing
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

Send a message via AIM to Sberk06
i would get the intake. if your basically stock, the stock brakes will work fine for now.. go for the intake.
Sberk06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

get brakes. if you are going to mod... do safety mods first... get ur car stopping better before you get it going faster.
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
tjf
Tri-State Addict

Member #2754

intake or exhaust
tjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
Someone has to say it so I'm going to get it out of the way...
Modifying that car will give you a VERY poor hp/$$ ratio. And it's also been stating that you have a very reliable car with good gas mileage and the best resale value in the world. In my opinion you'd be better off saving those good features by not modding it, saving up three or four thousand bucks (since you've said your Civic is paid off), and start building something else... DSM, 240SX, older Honda w/a swap, etc, even a fox body Mustang.

Now that that's out of the way, if you're set on modifying this car, do brakes and suspension. It's never going to go fast in a straight line, but with decent brakes, suspension, and lots of driving experience you'll be able to have lots of fun with autocross. Good luck and have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisforsurfing View Post
Someone has to say it so I'm going to get it out of the way...
Modifying that car will give you a VERY poor hp/$$ ratio. And it's also been stating that you have a very reliable car with good gas mileage and the best resale value in the world. In my opinion you'd be better off saving those good features by not modding it, saving up three or four thousand bucks (since you've said your Civic is paid off), and start building something else... DSM, 240SX, older Honda w/a swap, etc, even a fox body Mustang.

Now that that's out of the way, if you're set on modifying this car, do brakes and suspension. It's never going to go fast in a straight line, but with decent brakes, suspension, and lots of driving experience you'll be able to have lots of fun with autocross. Good luck and have fun.
I dont have the time and money to have a daily driver and a seperate project car..fulltime student and working i dont always have nuf time to study
Old 11-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
95s10
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #2687

My Ride:
1995 S10

lol, nice intake, why waste your money on stupid ****, especially 50$ ebay junk!!!
95s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
I dont have the time and money to have a daily driver and a seperate project car..fulltime student and working i dont always have nuf time to study
My advice is to save up now... saving money doesn't take any time. I'm a full-time student with a seperate job, too. I guess I don't see the harm in putting a $50 intake on the car for a little extra enjoyment now, go froggy.

Project cars don't need insurance until they're done. If it's a space issue, I understand... my Fiat is sitting at a friend's house right now after overstaying it's welcome at poolmike's. But I just think you'll be more satisfied in the long run either doing suspension/brakes on that car and calling it a day, or saving up and going with a project with more potential in a few years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisforsurfing View Post
My advice is to save up now... saving money doesn't take any time. I'm a full-time student with a seperate job, too. I guess I don't see the harm in putting a $50 intake on the car for a little extra enjoyment now, go froggy.

Project cars don't need insurance until they're done. If it's a space issue, I understand... my Fiat is sitting at a friend's house right now after overstaying it's welcome at poolmike's. But I just think you'll be more satisfied in the long run either doing suspension/brakes on that car and calling it a day, or saving up and going with a project with more potential in a few years.
Space is a major issue. The garage is full of junk, and my parents flip out when I go to wash the car imagine me bringing home a foxbody and saying im gona rebuild it completely
Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
ketchup!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #656

My Ride:
Speedooo's Sister

wtf did i tell you before, turbo the civic. will only cost about 1k-1500 for a complete turbo kit tuned

ketchup! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #12
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
then you don't have the time or money to waste on modifying a car and potentially breaking said car.

Save your money, you'll be happier in the long haul...trust me. I should have bought a used civic instead of the SRT-4 last year
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #13
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
Space is a major issue. The garage is full of junk, and my parents flip out when I go to wash the car imagine me bringing home a foxbody and saying im gona rebuild it completely
Save the money you have toward mods - move out of the house.

Bam - you can work at your leisure. My landlord(s) are cool with me doing automotive work in the parking lots - I implicitely asked if I could pull an engine and replace it and they said no problem as long as I do not take up a parking space where someone needs to park, if I keep it in 1 space or clean my **** up fast, no problems.

Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #14
MPowerKai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1011

My Ride:
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to MPowerKai
yea seriously, if this is your primary transportation and you need it and don't have 3 or 4k for another car then I doubt you have 3 or 4k for another engine. The chances are slim but an intake can take in water and can cause hydrolock. Pulleys can also cause damage too. Performance pads are great but it's winter so that means it's going to suck big monkey balls when your trying to stop (I know, I have ebc red stuff on the S2000). Slotted and or drilled rotors will only do better if you get a big break kit otherwise you are sacraficing surface space for a little bit of cooling to reduce brake fade but taking away the surface space negates this so you are back to square one etc etc.

You gotta pay to play
Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
9 Ball
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #70

My Ride:
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Quote:
To yield major performance gains from a stock Civic, you’re gonna have to spend gobs of money. If you’re on a budget now and in college, I would save your money.

If you do anything – perhaps brakes would be good. I know the ones on the Accord were over heating big time.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #16
harry
Noob-Jersey

Member #27518

My Ride:
honda civic

I have a similar situation as the previous speaker. But right, that's better to save now. It did not change. Regards.

Last edited by harry; 09-16-2017 at 02:01 PM.
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I have a similar situation as the previous speaker. But right, that's better to save now. It did not change. Regards.
holy 11yr old thread bump. we might have a winner for the oldest thread bump award.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Lawl.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
methinks this is not a real person, but me cannot be positive.

hey you, are you real?

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #20
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
methinks this is not a real person, but me cannot be positive.

hey you, are you real?
Get the ban hammer out.
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote