TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #641
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
SAPs can suck a nut.

I'd look into a remflex gasket for the exhaust, anything post turbo, they're my go-to gasket choice. Maybe a slight hassle for something "custom" like your 3" to 2.5" fitment, but once I poked around on their site and found the right gasket (and sometimes modified the bolt pattern slightly...) I never had one leak or fail. Not re-usable and a bit pricey, but better than slathering one up with RTV or stacking gaskets and hoping they seal.

Two bolt flanges can suck a nut too

BMW is looking good!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #642
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
SAPs can suck a nut.

I'd look into a remflex gasket for the exhaust, anything post turbo, they're my go-to gasket choice. Maybe a slight hassle for something "custom" like your 3" to 2.5" fitment, but once I poked around on their site and found the right gasket (and sometimes modified the bolt pattern slightly...) I never had one leak or fail. Not re-usable and a bit pricey, but better than slathering one up with RTV or stacking gaskets and hoping they seal.

Two bolt flanges can suck a nut too

BMW is looking good!
Oh good look on the Remflex! My big issue at hand is that the two bolt flange on the axle back is so rusty it's lost a significant amount of shape and doesn't have enough surface to seal to the hybrid flange on the midpipe. A Bosal reman is like $89 so I'm just going to pick one of those up and hope for the best. We have no good resources for welding locally or else I'd just have someone take the flange out of it and weld them together.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #643
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Forester is finished, detailed and up for sale! And I keep making the white iX better while it sits on the market. R134a conversion, paint matched iS front lip, vacuum reconfiguration, new injectors and coil, etc etc.

I had a kid (16 y/o) yesterday come look at an $8K 30 year old BMW for his first car who told me he didn't know how to drive stick on his test drive. It took him 10 minutes to leave my driveway...poor clutch.

The only thing they found was a faulty turn signal bulb and reduced their pre-agreed upon, already discounted offer by $2500. I love selling cars.

I found a '13 White STI Hatch with 50k miles in South Carolina I'm chasing but need to sell one of the cars before I fly down and buy it. The drive back is through the Smokeys so it'd be a hell of an experience.

With the lip (I think it really tied the whole car together)

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

And the scoob all detailed. She cleans up well!

IMG_2844 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2845 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2846 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2848 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2863 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2852 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Also, I finally got a proper lip on Linda and painted my spoiler. She's coming together!

The only thing else she needs cosmetically is blacking out the chrome trim.

Also, the Paintscratch rattlecan didn't turn out so bad.

Last edited by blue91lx; 05-04-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #644
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Man, every time I come in here i think "I really need to take better care of my cars". They all look clean as hell.

Selling kinda sucks anymore. Seems like you have to get through 10+ people lowballing/playin games and then one day someone will just come and buy it full asking. At least that's how my last few have been.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #645
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Man, every time I come in here i think "I really need to take better care of my cars". They all look clean as hell.

Selling kinda sucks anymore. Seems like you have to get through 10+ people lowballing/playin games and then one day someone will just come and buy it full asking. At least that's how my last few have been.
I have been "building" so many different cars for so long I decided it was finally time to polish the turds that I have! It has been really satisfying.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #646
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Selling is a crap shoot anymore, in my experience. People neither know what they want nor have reasonable expectations.

The cars are all looking so fresh and clean!! The BMWs look fantastic!
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #647
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Selling is a crap shoot anymore, in my experience. People neither know what they want nor have reasonable expectations.
I couldn't agree more. I feel like 90% of the folks who ask for more information know deep down from the get-go that they aren't seriously interested, but for some reason will go as far as scheduling a showing or even coming out for a test drive only to offer you half of your asking price (and if accepted, still back out).

I used to have the "show up and pay full asking price" happen more often, but for some reason it really seems like folks are:

1) holding onto their money quite a bit tighter
2) offering WAY less than what is considered even low market value.

Mike Brewer and the rest of the internet has everyone convinced that every car is a flip and there is absolutely no reason to pay someone even close to asking price in the name of "shrewd negotiation" or whatever you learn on YouTube about buying exotic cars from VinWiki.

I sell different than most, apparently....when I sell a car every system is brought up to spec, described/photographed honestly/accurately, etc. Aka I price my cars aggressively AND fix them in hopes to have an easier, transparent sale.

But I'm learning that it's only a like minded buyer that sees this and realizes the value in what he/she is buying.

In the same respect, I have noticed that values have gone UP a ton for cars that need work and aren't described properly, while clean, complete examples (what I sell) have gone down. There used to be three categories- fair, good, excellent. What I have seen in my specific markets is that there are now only two categories- fair and good.

Folks (somehow) don't see the value in paying $2K more for a car that's had $5K+ in essential maintenance done. They'll buy a $5K car and put $5K into it instead of buying my finished, detailed, sorted example for $7K.

Who knows- rant over

Quote:
The cars are all looking so fresh and clean!! The BMWs look fantastic!
Thanks, man!

Also, picking up this beast tomorrow for a (hopefully) quick flip. Another manual, V8 E34 Touring. Car has had a slew of recent maintenance and is rust free. 10x nicer than the last manual 530iT I had that I sold for 3x what I'm getting this for.

530iT by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by blue91lx; 05-09-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #648
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post

Also, picking up this beast tomorrow for a (hopefully) quick flip. Another manual, V8 E34 Touring.
OH MY... I feel like this needs a twin turbo bald eagle power plant under the hood.... Some day I'll revisit my quest to annoy the bmw purists at car shows
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #649
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
OH MY... I feel like this needs a twin turbo bald eagle power plant under the hood.... Some day I'll revisit my quest to annoy the bmw purists at car shows
You read my mind........ man if I ever have an insane amount of disposable cash, I will build one. I've always wanted to have a fun wagon with big power.

This engine is an M60b30, and there is an M60b40 from a 540i sedan that drops right in. There is also an M62b44TU in later cars that you can use the shortblock from and slap the heads/timing components/sensors from the b30/b40 to get you a high compression M60b44. You honestly wouldn't even need to go through the $10K hassle of an LS swap. These transmissions are bulletproof too, and there are stout 6sp variants available as well that bolt right up from the 540i Msport cars.

All you'd need is to build a stout m60 and build a turbo kit and you'd be set to make crazy power in this thing.

Speaking of which, this guy just built an M60b44 with an Eaton and nitrous for a rat rod project: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=418571

Someday! It's just so tough to go down this road because you won't get but a penny back out of it if you decide to sell later on.

Oh, and here's a pretty cool turbo build for an m60: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=364694

Last edited by blue91lx; 05-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #650
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

The touring is home safe and I've had a chance to really see what I'm dealing with. She has a great foundation but was owned by a caveman before Brian's ownership (the gent I purchased the car from).

The car is a rust free example from North Carolina, and the panels all have a matching shade of metallic green on them. The car has had a decent bit of recent maintenance including, but not limited to:

* New V-rated tires with less than 10,000 miles on them
* New clutch put in about 20,000 miles ago
* Clutch pedal rebuilt, plus new master cylinder, slave cylinder done about 3,000 miles ago
* New Front strut inserts done about 20,000 miles ago
* New refurbished A/C compressor, blower motor resistor, and blower motor
* Front brakes and rotors replaced under 10,000 miles ago
* new valve cover gaskets
* new water pump, thermostat, upper radiator hose, secondary water pump

While she sounds like a winner, she's not. The interior is awful. Every interior piece is broken, faded, peeling, incorrect, torn, non-functioning, or missing. Also, the shift arm is made from aluminum stock with an exhaust u bolt holding the shifter cup in place. It's an atrocity. That arm, of course, is NLA.

The car is still leaking coolant unfortunately, and the vacuum system was compromised at some point. The tie rod assembly (left right and center) needs to be replaced, and the rear SLS needs to be addressed. Also, the rear bumper is destroyed.

I also got M Parallel Wheels with the car, although the new tires listed above were for the stock 15" wheels. The Style 37s need tires.

Honestly, a solid weekend of wrenching, a rear bumper and a PDR guy and this thing will be pretty nice.

Picking her up:

This is how bad the paint looked:

A little better:

Aaaaaand all shiny!

Check this junk out:

Old 05-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #651
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Impressive sloppiness, haha
Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #652
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Impressive sloppiness, haha
It makes me nervous for whatever else I'm about to find
Old 05-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #653
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

She's looking good after her detail!

Finished rebuilding the shifter and Einhorn feels like a new car because of it! The old piece was so hacked I don't even know where to begin. The shift arm wasn't even bolted to the trans, the rear carrier assembly was installed 90* off to compensate for the hackery, the shifter and cup were destroyed, etc etc.

Some fresh bushings, a nice carrier, and a short shifter now allow her to go through gears swiftly with ease. Oh, and now that the linkage is correct the shifter trim works like it should!

I also threw on a weighted knob I had on the shelf, and put on the very nice wheel the PO included with the car.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #654
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Man, i've got some serious Touring envy.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #655
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Man, i've got some serious Touring envy.
Come buy it, I’ll give you a super TST deal and throw in the Style 37s
Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #656
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

The alpine rescue moved on to a new home today.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:09 PM   #657
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Hope it lives a happy life with the new owner!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #658
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Love this thread...the work you do is thorough and each car has a story to it.

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #659
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Hope it lives a happy life with the new owner!
I think it will! I gave him a good deal, so he should have some extra cash to make it his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Love this thread...the work you do is thorough and each car has a story to it.
Thanks! Hopefully we'll get to some of the more meaty projects here soon (ie M3).
Old 06-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #660
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Ole Linda is coming together! First outside photos since installing the spoiler and lip.

IMG_2902 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2908 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr