TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drag Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
20th1519
Tri-State Addict

Member #46

My Ride:
2002 WRX Wagon PSM

Send a message via AIM to 20th1519
Drove a 2003 BMW M3...Kinda long

I went to my girlfriend’s family party on Saturday in Howell N.J. Her cousin’s boyfriend who is very wealthy and very generous heard from my girlfriend that I wanted to drive his M3. Now this man has never met me before and probably didn’t remember my name. He reaches in his coat pocket and throws me the keys. Tells me to push the sport button on the console and watch the potholes. Now i was shocked and told him he had to go with me cause I didn’t know the area and it was dark out. We both hop in and start her up. I pull out onto the main road and make sure i am pointed straight (remembering my mustang days) and nail the gas. First gear pulls nice. I ease into second and it pulls even nicer. Ease into third and by that time I’m doing close to 75-80 then slow down. He looks at me and tells me to PUSH IT! HA...well sure can do. We drive up the road chit chatting about the car and pull a u-turn headed back. I find a nice dark spot with no traffic around and stop dead in the road. I told him i wanted to see what it could do from the hole. Bring the rpm's up to about 3,000 and slip the clutch out till I can romp onto the throttle and not light up the tires. First is very nice, shifting at around 7,000 I lift 1/2 throttle and jam second. And by jam I mean JAM. I was thrashing his car with him in it. The rpms come up a lot quicker than I am used to but I manage to look like a decent driver and nail Second. Second gear is brutal and watched the tach rise to redline and power shift third. I walk halfway through 4th and things are going by real fast so I shut it down around 110. Then as i am slowing down from 110 we almost miss our turn back into the section. Time for some brake action so of course I try to push the break pedal through the floor. It complies with my demands and we make the turn, barely. This is the second time driving a 03 M3 and I must say I am very impressed. It is surprisingly torquey for a inline six. It never had that instant throw you in the seat but more of a linear constant pull. Very refined power plant. The shifter was also a surprise. I remember a rubbery feeling shifter from the first time I drove an M3 but i had no problem finding the gears as i was slamming through them. I look forward to driving his SL500 next time i meet him at a family get together.

****Disclaimer**** This was on a closed course road track.....
Old 03-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Aaron
Tri-State Addict

Member #185

Send a message via AIM to Aaron
The SL 500 won't be as much fun. Its a much nicer ride. Lots and lots of goodies. Perfomance-wise its a little squishy, but thats to be expected. Cool story though.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:18 AM   #3
M3_JOHN
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #226

Haha sounds like you had some fun... definitely cool when you meet people who are willing to let other people drive their car...I was definitely a little hesitant at throwing people my keys at first, but I pretty much let anyone take her for a spin who seems responsible. The M3 IMO lacks torque below 4000, above that tho... when your on the cams.....its bliss.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:25 AM   #4
20th1519
Tri-State Addict

Member #46

My Ride:
2002 WRX Wagon PSM

It was a platinum silver color with what he said were a factory optioned set of 21" wheels in the back and i guess 20"s up front. It was dark out so i couldn't confirm from the tire size but they did look on the huge side.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:27 AM   #5
stichris
Tri-State Addict

Member #125

Send a message via AIM to stichris
Erm, sounds like a good time. No one does different diameter wheels on an m3. I don't think 21's will clear. And the only factory optioned wheels are 19's.

Chris
stichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
M3_JOHN
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #226

lol....this guy may be rich, but it seems like he doesn't know too much about his cars....titanium silver was the color. There are definitely no factory options for 20' in rims. 19 is the max... 20 can clear, as i've seen 20' HRE rims on a Laguna seca blue in philly. However, 21' wouldn't. The 19' OEMs looks sweet though, I'm assuming thats what was on his car.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
20th1519
Tri-State Addict

Member #46

My Ride:
2002 WRX Wagon PSM

Yea i got the sence from talking to him that he wasnt THAT much of a car guy. But i said i couldnt confirm the wheel size cause it was dark. Another red flag was thrown when he said he had once owned a "1989 Ferrari 360 Modena"
Old 04-22-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
Urinemachine
Tri-State Aficionado
Banned

Member #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_JOHN
lol....this guy may be rich, but it seems like he doesn't know too much about his cars....titanium silver was the color. There are definitely no factory options for 20' in rims. 19 is the max... 20 can clear, as i've seen 20' HRE rims on a Laguna seca blue in philly. However, 21' wouldn't. The 19' OEMs looks sweet though, I'm assuming thats what was on his car.

the LSB on HRE 20's is Walter. And 21's do fit, albeit you can't slam the car.
Urinemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Matthew
Tri-State Addict

Member #225

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urinemachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_JOHN

the LSB on HRE 20's is Walter. And 21's do fit, albeit you can't slam the car.
They said 22's won't fit, but they be liars!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:35 PM   #10
ayim01
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #149

walter has gone through about 5 pairs of rims. his friend roughedges has a nicely tuned s4