TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #441
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I had a very productive weekend working on the car. I unfortunately had a few setbacks, but overall made great progress.

FYI, for those considering the Garagistic Windage Tray, do not buy it. It fit so poorly I attempted to modify it but it needed so much help that I opted to just leave it out. The flange casting was way off at the back of the block (over 1/4" off and hitting the flywheel), the provisions for the oil pump needed to be clearanced a ton, bolt holes were off, etc. The IE oil pan baffle also required sectioning, and the removal of a few bolts to fit around the sump. Thankfully I was able to get that on though.

First order of business was to pull the motor off of the stand to replace the rear main seal. I threw it back on the stand afterwords to fit the oil pan and attempt to fit the windage tray (a paperweight). Ended up getting things settled, baffle on the pan, pan on, etc, and set the motor down to mate the trans.

I installed the fresh flywheel on the block with new bolts. I installed a new Sachs PP/Clutch, OE Pilot bearing, clutch fork, slave cyl, clutch fork pin, etc and mated the trans to the motor.

I also opted to change the front main seal of the transmission, as well as the shift selector seal just to be safe. After all that it was time to drop the engine in the car. It's been so long since I've dropped a motor/trans in front the top that it proved to be quite a process. I set the motor down onto new HD rubber mounts.

After the motor was in there were so many small tasks to take care of. I had a new shift selector, DSSR, delrin carrier assembly, delrin shift arm bushing, new cup, and Z3 shift lever to install. The shifter feel exceeded my expectations.

I also deleted the TB heater, converted the vacuum hose to the booster down to one line, and deleted the charcoal canister to clean things up in the bay. Since I removed the airbag computer for my mtech wheel I also pulled the airbag sensor harness completely out.

I also had to modify my power steering hoses for use with the Z3 rack. The return hose fit in with a slight bend, and the OE high pressure hose also fit nicely with a slight bend towards the drivers side frame rail, routing both hoses over the engine mount arm. Hoses/res were all new and installed with new crush washers, aside from the high pressure line (which was in good shape).

I bolted the trans up after throwing a new guibo on it and bleeding the slave cyl and installing the stainless slave cylinder line. I used HD trans mounts with E21 aluminum cups. I had to drill out the holes slightly as the mount studs were larger than stock.

I also removed the auto trans harness under the dash and plugged the black plug black/yellow wire straight to the ignition switch so the car would turn over.

The driveshaft I was sold as a 'manual' unit ended up being an auto driveshaft that I wasted time putting a CSB on, so I'm currently searching for a manual DS in good shape.

After a ton of small things later, I primed the car and let it turn over to fill all of the empty lines that I replaced. Unfortunately the car will not start, but turns over and almost fires. It sounds very healthy and I cannot wait to get things situated!

Everything is coming together, brakes are bled, etc. Up next is hopefully getting the car to fire, getting a driveshaft, and getting the car to an exhaust shop to fab up a mid section.

Back of the block:

IMG_2311 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Baffle modification

IMG_2313 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Pan on

IMG_2314 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Old vs new

IMG_2319 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Trans seals

IMG_2317 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2315 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Trans mounts

IMG_2321 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Getting there after removing the power steering pump

IMG_2322 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

In there like swimwear

IMG_2323 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2324 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2338 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Power steering setup

IMG_2328 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2333 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Vacuum line

IMG_2334 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Harness roughly in place. I still need to take a day to route everything how I want it

IMG_2339 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2340 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #442
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
[/url]IMG_2339 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2340 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #443
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
Looks great man! This thread does not disappoint.
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #444
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
It's amazing to me that companies can sell such crap and feel good about it...

The rest of the stuff looks awesome though!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #445
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
I know, right?! It was a lot of work, but I'm thankful I took time to tuck/relocate things a bit and simplify the coolant/vacuum systems. Now there is so much room!

Some day down the road this thing will have a V8. I'm going to continue to prep and tweak the chassis/brakes so by that time it'll have a good home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
Looks great man! This thread does not disappoint.
Thanks man! I can't wait to get this thing rippin'. I already bought suspension phase two before I got this on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
It's amazing to me that companies can sell such crap and feel good about it...

The rest of the stuff looks awesome though!
Thanks! Yes I was very disappointed. Funny thing is, I have their entire E30 catalogue on this car, almost literally. I'm sure they'll take care of it, but I just wonder how they haven't fixed this yet. I found after my situation that others have had similar issues.

Spoiler alert for suspension build V2...........did someone say E30M3 Superlite big brake kit? I wonder if there are E30M3 strut housings/hubs in the mail too...?

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 04-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #446
15psi88
Tri-State Addict

Member #5625

My Ride:
Is always a project.

You gonna have to hang counter weight off the back to keep the rear tires on the ground? Dang that's gonna be sweet.
15psi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #447
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15psi88 View Post
You gonna have to hang counter weight off the back to keep the rear tires on the ground? Dang that's gonna be sweet.
thankfully I have prepped for the weight a bit so it won't be as bad. AC is gone including condenser and compressor, E30 battery is all the way in the passenger rear, I'll lose a few lbs converting the M3 housings to coilivers, and the four piston calipers weigh less than the heavy single piston stockers.

The 330mm rotors are very heavy though, so I am working on a two piece option that should be lighter than the stockers!
Old 04-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #448
15psi88
Tri-State Addict

Member #5625

My Ride:
Is always a project.

lol I wasn't being a jerk, I meant all the additional braking force lifting the tires!
15psi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #449
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15psi88 View Post
lol I wasn't being a jerk, I meant all the additional braking force lifting the tires!
Baha I thought your point was valid. You're absolutely right- I think this thing is going to stop quite well... maybe too well. I actually got the rear version of the E30M3 big brake kit, too, so it should bias out nicely.

They're all four piston calipers. Front rotors measure 314x27mm and rears measure 311x25mm. I weighed the calipers, and even with brackets the fronts are each 2lbs lighter than the stockers. Rears are 2lbs heavier.

After some extensive research, this was a custom kit ordered for a doctor....currently working with a few companies on finding replacement rotors. This should be fun!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #450
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Ahhh, I love everything you're doing. I really gotta pick up an E30 or E34 sooner than later.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #451
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Ahhh, I love everything you're doing. I really gotta pick up an E30 or E34 sooner than later.
Thanks man! My hope is for this thread to encourage everyone to buy an E30.

I went to a local swap meet today and it had me itching to build an M20. There was a local 3L car there with ITBs and another 3L on the way. I need a 288 cam, itbs and a 3.1L in my life, but I don't know if I could spend all that coin for 200whp haha.

Anyway, the car is nearing completion. I wired up the electric pusher fan to the stock harness, finished deleting my secondary thermostat with fresh heater hoses, finished my intake setup, made a bracket to mount the AFM, finished mounting my relays, threw on belts and removed the cruise control unit from the plug under the dash until I can figure out a mounting location for it.

The hot air intake setup is definitely temporary, but I think it'll be fine to use until I get this car running on a MAF.

Mounting the fan to the radiator proved to be an annoyance, as the bolts were hitting the radiator support in every configuration, so it took a little while to get it right. Once I get bushings for the bottom of the M42 radiator I can bolt in the cooling system once and for all and get it bled. I also ordered a coolant level sensor and will have to extend the wiring for that down to the bottom of the rad when that comes in.

I also have to put a grommet on the engine harness for the firewall, but it's a pain in the ass so I continue to put it off. I also need to put on my ABS sensors and my front brake light sensor, but those can wait.

Stage 1.5 chip for M50 injectors from SSSquid.

IMG_2341 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

I tried to do a clean install and use nylon spacers but it didn't clear the rad support unfortunately.

IMG_2364 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

This way didn't clear either.

IMG_2365 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

This was the final solution.

IMG_2374 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2366 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Fan wiring

IMG_2367 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2368 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

And the right side of the bay all tidied up. I'm happy with the AFM bracket and relay location. I love how simple/clean this engine bay is looking. In the first shot you can also see where I tucked away the coil to.

IMG_2372 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2373 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 04-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #452
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Also, here's a cold start with everything hooked up minus 02 sensor. Seems to run quite well and is snappy off of idle. Head is also very quiet! Running open long tubes currently. Don't mind my whistling at the end.

I think you'll have to click the image and that should take you to the video.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 04-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #453
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Sounds good. Always nice when they start nicely.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:33 PM   #454
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Sounds good. Always nice when they start nicely.
I am thankful it runs, that's for sure. I'm waiting on a few things to arrive for the cooling system and I can bleed that and (finally) break in the cam.

I also scored a manual driveshaft at a swap meet so after I put a new CSB in that it's just a trip to the shop for an alignment and then a trip to a friends for the exhaust build.

In other news, my garage roof needs to be replaced so I get to learn how to be a roofer here soon.

So far I've learned:

Ice/Weather Shield first 3ft
3 tab for Starter Row
Dimensional for the rest
15# felt
Drip edge

Wish me luck.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #455
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Startup sounded good!

Dang, that sucks about the roof though! Was it damaged over the winter or something, or is it just at that age that it needs done?
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #456
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Startup sounded good!

Dang, that sucks about the roof though! Was it damaged over the winter or something, or is it just at that age that it needs done?
Thanks! I'm slowly checking boxes off now. So many small things to get all of this thing finalized when you take a car all the way apart and then put it back together.

The roof was mainly due to it being my first home and not knowing what to look for when I bought the home. I hired 3 inspectors on purchase and I don't think any actually climbed the garage roof or they would've seen the condition, repairs, etc. I saw shingles in my backyard after this crazy winter, did a bunch of research on roofing, walked it to do an inspection with my newly gained knowledge, and realized the roof had lifting tabs everywhere, shingles ripping off, starter row gone completely, etc.

I like a new challenge every once in a while, so I'm going to try to have some fun learning how to do it.

------

Got a bit more stuff done- got my ABS sensors hooked up and finished off the M42 rad process for the most part. Waiting on another small order from FCP for brake sensors, rad support cup, CSB.

I'm really not happy with the M42 rad "swap". It doesn't fit right. The bottom sits out too far and the coolant drain hits the power steering pulley. I don't really know what I'm going to do about it yet but it's another thing to add to the list. Still trying to find an upper rad hose to use as well since the one that works is NLA. Still have to extend the coolant level sensor down to the bottom of the attached resevoir.

Also, I got a manual driveshaft at the swap meet. I'm waiting on the CSB to come in before I install that.

IMG_2375 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2379 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

I also ended up with pretty nice black E30 M3 (no, they're not vert) front seats. I was originally going to swap the M3 over to black interior but I've already got so much tied up into tan with custom paint for the door handles/pockets, carpeting the rear tray, etc that I don't know what I'm going to do with them.

The M3 suspension and big brake kit also seemed like a lofty goal.....if I had to guess I'd say that all of that stuff will be for sale soon.

Also, if you're reading this and need an iX manual swap w/3.91 diffs, or a set of good 4.10 diffs, let me know. Or a like new OEM iX strut housing. I've gotta move some of these bigger $$ parts soon.

IMG_2378 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by blue91lx; 04-24-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #457
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Well, some progress has been made.

-Got a new CSB pressed on the manual driveshaft, and installed it.
-Finished all of my coolant routing and bled the system. Don't judge the 'spliced' upper rad hose. I'm waiting on the right one to arrive from over the pond.
-Got a new battery
-I temporarily raised the car up in the front so I don't have to worry about rubbing before I get the car aligned. I have to wait for an alignment until I get the E30M3 Housings back from ground control and find some stock E30M3 brakes. If anyone wants to work out a partial trade for the big brake kit I have shoot me a PM.

And she officially made her first round pass around the block! I forgot how loud open headers are.

A few notes:

-The steering/handling is incredible. The car is so precise and crisp, I cannot wait to throw this thing into a few turns.
-This is by far the snappiest and quickest E30 I've owned. On acceleration, however, I've got a bad miss around 5K rpms that I'll deal with after I get the exhaust made, in addition to a bit of a wandering idle. I still don't have an O2 sensor hooked up at all and the car hasn't gotten to learn the ECU at all yet, because I just put a battery in it, and the car has 2 year old gas in it.
-The e fan doesn't come on because the car isn't getting hot enough (I jumped the pins on the fan switch and it came right on). Rad is hot and coolant is flowing, heat working great, so I'm 99% it's all bled properly.

Anyway, for the TLDR crowd, here are a few pictures.

IMG_2417 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2420 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2429 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2421 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2403 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2387 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 04-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #458
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Great progress! I'm glad the first drive went mostly well. Looks so damn clean too!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #459
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

I have to respect that you put just as much work into your write ups on this dead ass site as you do to the cars themselves lol.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #460
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Great progress! I'm glad the first drive went mostly well. Looks so damn clean too!
Thanks! It felt great for this to move under it's own power. Last time it did that was on the way home after purchasing it two years ago. I'm fairly certain an 02 sensor, exhaust, fresh 93 and letting the ECU learn will iron out most of the small issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
I have to respect that you put just as much work into your write ups on this dead ass site as you do to the cars themselves lol.
Haha thanks man- I feel like I owe it to TST to follow through with at least one of the cars contained in this build thread .

A good thing for the five of us still on here though is once this car us done I have to sell my silver iX after I fix a few things, and then I can get to the M3!