TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #61
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
Wow, seriously? Can you elaborate a little more? That's insane that the airbags can deploy from hard driving in a performance vehicle.

Glad you're okay, I'm sure that was quite the mid run surprise!
Thank you, I am too. Luckily the helmet took the majority of the impact.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eployment.html

https://jalopnik.com/5915824/watch-a...ding-autocross

https://www.motor1.com/news/250202/c...irbags-deploy/

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291450

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164403
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253642
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254445
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6429699

I'd say they have a problem dating back to the 5th gen. Unfortunately, in the 6th gen you can't just pull a fuse to disable the airbags when you head to the track. The videos showing the ZL1 1LE on the Nurburbring also show the dash lit up with the airbag light from them being turned off.

GM's response in these cases has been to deny the warranty altogether, stating that the system acted as it should have to prevent injury.

In my case, I slid on the course after some light rain made it wet, and as I was sliding with two feet in, the car hit a pothole in the lot. No damage to the outside of the car, the wheel is fine and the tire is still beaded to the rim. I was in first gear when this happened. The curtain airbags popped on that impact.

This problem has also affected Cadillac owners:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...spite-no-crash

https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/92-...eployment.html

The theory is that GM uses the same algorithm for their airbag systems across all the models. According to one of the threads above, when people request the black box information, they're told to get a subpoena so this theory can't be verified outside of GM.

Due to these experiences lingering across the internet, I chose not to fight it out with GM and will just pay the bill. After that, I will be selling the car back to the dealer or anywhere else that will give me the most money so that I won't have to eat a ton of the negative equity too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #62
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

hoe-lee-****.

I'm glad you're ok.

$7k is a big expense to eat, and then sell the car. They're not offering any type of compensation towards it?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #63
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

yeah, EFFFFF that....
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #64
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
hoe-lee-****.

I'm glad you're ok.

$7k is a big expense to eat, and then sell the car. They're not offering any type of compensation towards it?
Thank you, me too. It was a bit surreal when I had to call my wife after that. She’s always been supportive of the whole car hobby and I’ve always tried to act in a manner to continue that.

No compensation but it’s not over with yet. Will update when I have something else to report.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #65
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

That's insane, I am so sorry. That's a hard bill to swallow- I hope they work with you. That is unacceptable in every way....
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #66
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
That's insane, I am so sorry. That's a hard bill to swallow- I hope they work with you. That is unacceptable in every way....
Thank you...I hope so too. I'm going to ask for some goodwill from the dealer, but i'm kind of up the creek here.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #67
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

I dont see how you're up the creek when you were driving a performance car in a performance manner with no impact.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #68
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Quote:
I dont see how you're up the creek when you were driving a performance car in a performance manner with no impact.
GM is refusing to cover their engineering deficiencies... With ABS module issues and airbags going off.

Go read about "ice mode" which GM refuses to acknowledge as an actual problem, but I have video of it happening to a buddy of mine at autocross where the car refused to give him brakes and he went flying into grid at 70mph... thankfully no contact with anybody or other cars.

Airbags going off seems common, the 5th gen Camaro guys pulled the SRS fuses to prevent the issue and 6th gen guys are just SOL, like Dave
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:09 AM   #69
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Man the airbag problem sucks. Sounds like somebody should really start a class action lawsuit if its so common. Airbags are meant for impacts not potholes at 40 mph. You would think it would easy to disseminate between an impact and sliding/aggressive driving.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #70
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Slight update:

I've been in contact with GM and they are sending out 3rd party inspectors to look over the vehicle and write a report next week. From there, GM will decide if they will offer any assistance with the repair costs or a denial of claim will be issued to me at that time.

I'm not hopeful and have the money in my bank account waiting to be spent.

Once the repairs are complete, I will be paying down the car's balance even quicker and trading it in after winter.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #71
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Just read about this on Jalopnik, sounds like the same issues were happening on colorado zr2s

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-will-...fro-1830317992
Old 11-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #72
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Just read about this on Jalopnik, sounds like the same issues were happening on colorado zr2s

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-will-...fro-1830317992
Very interesting! It wouldn't surprise me if the code used was the same between the vehicles.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #73
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I was coming here to link that too!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #74
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Airbag update: GM is waiting on the final report from Raytheon and should have it today. GM Engineering will then inspect the results and I should have a decision by the end of next week. I was able to speak with the Raytheon rep about what happened and he inspected the car. He wouldn't tell me what his findings were and they don't share the report with the customer. He did sound a bit surprised that the airbags deployed after seeing the car and hearing my description of what happened but he wouldn't tell me his thoughts.

DSC Sport controller update: The new V4 box shipped to my house Fed Ex and according to the tracking number, it was delivered yesterday. Unfortunately, the box cannot be found. I've opened up a claim with FedEx that the delivery is missing or didn't happen. Since I work from home, I'm very confident that FedEx didn't deliver anything here yesterday. One more thing to deal with.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #75
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

ZL1 update: GM will not be covering the deployment.

I’m going to be trading the car in and never buying a GM product ever again.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #76
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ugh. Sorry to hear man
Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #77
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

thats some ****. sorry man
Old 11-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #78
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

I worked for GM for almost 3 years and this doesn't surprise me at all. Not just your scenario, but everything about GM is so half-assed. Cheap parts, cheap looks and I feel like they don't care about their cars or their customers/enthusiasts.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #79
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
I worked for GM for almost 3 years and this doesn't surprise me at all. Not just your scenario, but everything about GM is so half-assed. Cheap parts, cheap looks and I feel like they don't care about their cars or their customers/enthusiasts.
Yeah, I get that. It's a weird overall experience.

- People/general public: Much friendlier and nicer to me with the Camaros than the german stuff. Seems like it's more acceptable to drive for a lot of people.

- Community: Chevy community is really nice overall...people just enjoying their cars and racing them. The mustang hatred and competition attracts the people who you wouldn't want to hang out with anyway.

- Aftermarket: Not as big as I was hoping...pricing a little too high all things considered.

- Dealerships: These really make or break the ownership experience and I found two good ones out of five. Not ideal.

- Vehicle quality: Hard to compare because the German stuff was all on the luxury side. Fit and finish was good, nothing crazy overall...well-built in most regards.

- Performance: I mean, what can beat them at their price points for a new car? Pretty insane what the ZL1 can do for $65k MSRP.

- Overall: Disappointed. Like you said, a little half-assed. They have this product that's world class for the price but won't pony up to improve the dealership experience or take care of their loyal customers. I've invested over six figures in two years with this brand and my reward was a car they won't offer goodwill on? That angers me in ways an object should not.

I still am waiting for the official call from the PAC rep, but already know the outcome. I hope to be able to get some goodwill from the regional rep because this is entirely BS. Also, the car has been at the dealer since October 14th for this repair. None of this should be taking this long.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 11-26-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #80
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

is there any way you could lawyer up?