TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Metalhedd
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2022

My Ride:
1986 Nissan Maxima

Send a message via AIM to Metalhedd
DSM Motors anyone?

ive heard that DSM motors have engine problems. Does anyone know specifically what problems they have?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Send a message via AIM to SexyDSM95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhedd
ive heard that DSM motors have engine problems. Does anyone know specifically what problems they have?
...umm can you be a little more specific as to what you may have heard.
SexyDSM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
BradC
Tri-State Addict

Member #1083

My Ride:
Boosted NA/2000 SAAB 9-5

Send a message via AIM to BradC
2g's have some crankwalk issues. Strong motors though, nothing wrong with a 4g63
Old 06-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
240sxDann
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1229

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to 240sxDann
he means that DSM's are said to be unreliable, but in what way? What tends to break? What needs fixed? Or are they reliable and people dont know what they're talking about?
If you find a woman with zero drama issues or emotional baggage, check for a scar where her penis used to be.
Quote:
i finger myself to latin jazz sometimes
240sxDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
IMO It all depends on previous owner of the car and how they were taking care of it. Once you fix what ever problems were caused before you its kinda on how you treat the car. Sure maybe there not the best made cars but owners can help or hurt that situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97
IMO It all depends on previous owner of the car and how they were taking care of it. Once you fix what ever problems were caused before you its kinda on how you treat the car. Sure maybe there not the best made cars but owners can help or hurt that situation.
That and how the motor was cast from the factory. If it's going to walk it's going to walk no real way to prevent or stop it. Hence why people just do a 6 bolt swap as soon as something like that occurs. In my personal experience mine has been very reliable. Anything that has broken or needed to be replaced was maintinence.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
SpendOne
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #144

My Ride:
1987 Mazda RX7 LQ4 Turbo

Send a message via AIM to SpendOne
I blew my POS up before. Screw these cars!

On a side note:
I think they are as reliable as you make them to be. If you beat it to teh ground, things will happen. Me, myself, beat my car every chance I get. I build it to beat it.
1980 Ford Fairmont 4Dr
LQ4 Turbo AGAIN
SpendOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
240sxDann
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1229

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX

what is crankwalk exactly? I know this isn't my thread, my its my cousins, so I'll thread-jack if I want. lol
If you find a woman with zero drama issues or emotional baggage, check for a scar where her penis used to be.
Quote:
Old 06-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
240sxDann
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1229

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX

anyone??
Quote:
Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
SpendOne
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #144

My Ride:
1987 Mazda RX7 LQ4 Turbo

Send a message via AIM to SpendOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Q
What is 'crank walk'?
What is a 'walking' crankshaft?
Is there a recall or TSB regarding the crank walk problem?
How can I tell if my car has a walking crankshaft?
Search for this topic now!

A 'walking' crankshaft is a crankshaft that moves too much inside the engine. This is also known as excessive thrust bearing play. The movement is usually due to the crankshaft not fitting inside its bearings correctly. While not bad for the crankshaft, the movement can place excessive or uneven loads on the bearings, causing premature failures.

Many 2G owners have suffered from walking crankshafts. It appears that Mitsubishi built many 2G engines using defective crankshafts, which were machined out of specification and are thus capable of moving around too much inside the block. All 2G model years appear to be affected to some degree.

To fix this problem, Mitsubishi has designed several versions of matching crankshaft bearings. This allows the defective motor to retain the crankshaft, yet matches the bearings correctly so as to eliminate the excessive crankshaft movement. Matching the bearings in this manner is tricky and requires exact information about when the crankshaft was manufactured, which may be determined by color markings on the crankshaft itself. The 2G factory manual includes information on how to match crankshafts to bearings.

1G owners do not generally need to worry, as there are no chronic problems with crankwalk in per-1995 cars. However, it is possible for any engine to experience crankwalk if there is a problem with the crankshaft bearings. It has been reported that 'small rod' / 7-bolt flywheel motors (manufactured from later 1992 through 1994 on 1Gs) are more prone to crankwalk than 'big rod' / 6-bolt flywheel engines (manufactured from 1989 to early 1992). However, there can be no guarantees, since big block V8s and all other engines can also suffer from crankwalk.

It can be difficult to tell if a particular car is experiencing crankwalk. Symptoms are usually indirect and difficult to diagnose until major damage occurs.

Since the clutch places pressure on the crankshaft, many owners have reported clutch or shifting problems associated with the walking crank. Having the clutch 'stick' down on left-hand turns is often a telltale sign of crankwalk. Other symptoms include inconsistent engagement height, poor or rough engagement, difficulty shifting, ticking noises and varying pedal height or pressure. Another possibility is having the engine RPM decrease significantly when the clutch pedal is down.

Another problem with crankwalk is that the crankshaft may move so much as to literally tear up and destroy the 2G crankshaft angle sensor. This problem usually manifests itself as a ticking noise coming from the timing belt area, as the sensor is literally and slowly ground away by the crankshaft. Any such noise should be investigated right away to prevent serious problems.

Unfortunately, cranshaft angle sensor failure usually leads to a replacement sensor, rather than a replacement crankshaft, as mechanics fail to diagnose the underlying problem. 2G owners who have experienced premature failure of the crankshaft angle sensor should investigate the possibility of a walking crankshaft immediately.

For more information, read this post by Paul Estavez, which describes the crank walk problem in detail. Also read Road Race Engineering's archive of posts that contains all of the Talon Digest posts about the walking crankshaft problem. Those who appreciate that a picture is worth a thousand words will appreciate the Crank Walk Photo Archive.

Although 2G DSM owners have been anxiously awaiting a recall or TSB on the crankwalk problem, there is none as yet. According to Paul's second post on the subject, there may never be a TSB, although some members of DSM Canada are pushing for one in this thread on their discussion board. As a result, it is doubly important that affected 2G owners get their bearings (or blocks, if necessary) replaced before their warranty expires. This might be difficult for owners of aftermarket clutches, as dealerships often claim the aftermarket pressure plates are the cause of the problem.
Quoted from the 1000Q site.
1980 Ford Fairmont 4Dr
LQ4 Turbo AGAIN

Last edited by SpendOne; 06-27-2006 at 05:09 PM.
SpendOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #11
KrautFed20V
Tri-State Addict

Member #984

My Ride:
01 GTP & Honda ChitBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxDann
anyone??
Here's an easy solution to you and your cousin. If you have any further questions about crank walk, DSM motors, etc. go to:
www.vfaq.com

If you can't find the answer there then ask. You can also go to the Mitsubishi section of this forum and ask there too.

KrautFed20V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #12
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxDann
what is crankwalk exactly?
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
eviltalon
Tri-State Addict

Member #1374

My Ride:
Eagle Summit

^^hahahaha.
I find it ironic that getting the clap is nothing to cheer about.
If u dont get it
it u will.
eviltalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #14
turbo4g63
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1057

My Ride:
98' 4runner

Send a message via AIM to turbo4g63
the only known issue that i have ever heard of is crankwalk...but even that is a few and far between type deal. I have to say (knock on wood) that my dsm has been very good to me...i would say just a spendone said that it is only going to be as reliable as you build it to be. some people may say diff. but i swear by the 4g63 motor. its all about basic maintenance. Keep up on things like oil changes, timing belts, etc and all the other crap that every other car owner does
Old 06-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #15
awdlaserbeam
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1126

Simply said.... Your mechanical abilities and general knowledge of building motors will dictate the reliablity of your car.

Didnt read the long post describing crank walk, but i am sure it mentioned that CW is only common on 7 bolt motors (produced 3rd week of march in '92 to 99)
awdlaserbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #16
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdlaserbeam
Simply said.... Your mechanical abilities and general knowledge of building motors will dictate the reliablity of your car.

Didnt read the long post describing crank walk, but i am sure it mentioned that CW is only common on 7 bolt motors (produced 3rd week of march in '92 to 99)
Actually that's debateable. If you read posts on how many people have crank walked most have been higher mileage 7 bolts (95-96). Supposedly Mitsu re-designed or changed something in the 7 bolt for the later years (97-99) to "prevent" this issue.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
awdlaserbeam
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1126

Yea i forgot about that. I am not the 7 bolt master. I just know my car was made in march of '92 and i lucked out with a 6 bolt . Also I cant afford a 2g and then throw parts into it, so i just stick to the 1g. Best gain for my dollar.
awdlaserbeam is offline   Reply With Quote