TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
EKLIPZGSX97
Tri-State Addict

Member #2381

My Ride:
'03 Evo 8 '11 F150 Ecoboost

EKLIPZGSX97's 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX *New Updates & Summer Tease!!*

Ok Well, I've finally decided to throw together a Member Journal on this car. It may be a little long winded but I'm just now throwing almost 3 years with of fun into a thread...A lot of pictures were lost in a previous computer crash, so I'll throw it together with what I have left.

A "Brief" History

I bought the car from an (idiot) from East Stroudsburg back in April of 06. I had a previous DSM (same car, just white and MUCH cleaner) that was lost in an accident on February 11th, 2006.
From...

To...

I had only had the white car since November of '05 and decided it was taken away from me before I got a chance to have any kind of fun... so I bought another one. Whether it was a good idea or not to go for round 2, remains to be seen...

Bought the purple car for $6,500 with 129,xxx on the clock in semi-stock condition. It had the wheels that are still on it, an Injen intake, K&N FIPK filter, HKS SSQV, and the random ass 2.5" Cat-Back and Autometer gauges that didn't work, lol. Everything else was stock. Here's the closest pic I have to the day I brought it home...

The car basically seemed to be a curse from the beginning... First day I brought it home, snapped the only copy of the key I had off in the hatch, had to take it to Mitsu dealer to get a new key cut off of the VIN and have the lock cylinders re-keyed. Upon getting it there they noticed something I failed to...

The whole underneath was like this, aparently the kid thought it would be cool to take the car offroading. This also began the rust problems...

I Took care of what needed to be, kept the car and continued on. Car remained faily stock for a while, adding small things here and there. I worked at a muffler shop during this time so me and a buddy that worked there made up a 3" turbo back system, deleted the cat and put on an Apex'i N1 muffler. Switched over the the Greddy Type S BOV. Regular maitenance began to be a problem (plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, front trailing arms, rear suspension being frozen with rust, etc) A LOT of money was spent just keeping the POS on the road...

June-November 2006 lol
Symptoms of the dreaded crankwalk began @ about 132,xxx. the search for a 6 bolt began... Found a used, running 6 bolt from a SJDSM'er for $500, for $900 total I also picked up a practically new EVO3 16G, and a set of 580cc injectors. Picked up an ACT 2100 clutch, AFPR, Lines, gaskets, bolts, fun stuff and tore into 6 bolt swap number 1...
7 Bolt...

7 Bolt out, 6 Bolt in the background...

I retained A/C This Time...

It was fun

End Result...

Last edited by EKLIPZGSX97; 03-19-2010 at 09:29 PM.
EKLIPZGSX97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Nice. Looks clean at the end pic haha

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #3
EKLIPZGSX97
Tri-State Addict

Member #2381

My Ride:

Over the next year, modding kept on. Added DSMLink to work with the 6 bolt swap, Autometer Cobalt Gauges. AEM Wideband, did a small stereo system,
Carbon Hood... (pic was taken on New Years, Drunk as ****, bouncing off the 2 Step @ midnight!)

Drove the car for another year, minimally modded as I had other things going on in life. Never got a chance to really get to the dyno or track but the EVO 16G setup @ 22psi felt pretty good on the street. Biggest noteworthyness of 2007 was the front mount Install, JMF Coolant and Oil catch Cans, Plug Cover, and Heatshield...

BOV in the Fenderwell...

Now the domino effect of the current state of the car began...

July-November 2007
Got a set of BC 272 Cams...

MMMMM Beer! (Buddy of mine, helped with the Install...)

When installing the cams I found out that the cam journals were fairly scored up. I decided to install the cams and start looking for a head outside the car to swap on...

Last time the car was seen in public was at the PhillyDSM Nockamixon meet in August 07...

Found another head to swap on, Got a set of HKS 272's, ARP Headstuds, Mitsu MLS headgasket, JM Fabrications SMIM, and I fell into a set of 680cc PTE Injectors, SS Tubular Manifold, Tial Wastegate, and a Turbonetics 57 Trim. So, It was all supposed to on on at once...
Starting...

Head Off

New Head

57 Trim Hanging

JMF Re-did my UICP and this was SUPPOSED to be the end result...

Well, upon attempting to fire the motor with the new head on it, while priming the head/turbo, no oil was getting to the head. Further Investigation revealed that no oil was even getting to the filter housing. Pulled the Pan to inspect the crank/bearings... I lost the only pics I had of the bottom end but upon pulling the rod caps, the culprit revealed itself. The previous owner of that motor had it "rebuilt" and by rebuild he meant cut the crank. That wasn't so much the problem as the fact the he put STANDARD SIZED BEARINGS back in the motor... so there was a.025 gap between the rods/mains the crank. This explains the scoring in the head and the lack of oil during priming. Somehow that motor ran for well over a thousand miles without a single knock...

So I'm left with 2 options... 1.) Throw a front case/oil pump/crank/bearings back in it or 2.) Build

By this point the rust on the strut towers crept up on me. It had gotten worse quick, which weighed on my decision to build

Pulled the motor again, sent the shell to my dad's body shop where it comfortably sat until this most recent phase...

Not to be interrupted along the way. While sitting @ JNZ one night overnight there was a break in to multiple cars in the parking lot... mine included

Backwards ass crooks... they left my digital camera sitting on the back seat, but took 6 quarts of oil... End result they made off with my gauges, EBC, Volt meter, oil and oil cap

Onto Major Phase 3...
Old 12-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

lol they stole oil HAHAHAHA wow what pieces of ****. Car was looking goo though.

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
EKLIPZGSX97
Tri-State Addict

Member #2381

My Ride:

So the motor build process begun...

.030" Over Ross 8.3:1
Eagle H Beams
ARP Main Studs
ARP Head Studs
BS Eliminated
New 6 bolt Crank
Powdercoated EVERYTHING!!! (Block Included)
3G Lifters
HKS 272's

Motor has been done, waiting on the body...

The strut towers got bad to the point of un-safe. I knew it needed to be addressed, and since the motor was out AGIAN, I decided to do it right. Got the Driver side from Mitsu and the passenger side was discontinued. Hence why assault187 and I cut apart a green 2G...

Here's my 1/4 of the car.

The fenders, hood, bumper, lights, everything came out of my front end. Cut out the strut tower panels...

This was no easy process, tons of grinding, cutting and thousands of drilled out spotwelds later, we get to where these pics are.

During this time, I also took the time to remove the ABS and A/C. Cruise Control has been gone since 6 bolt #1. The only thing this car has left is P/S haha.

This brings us to current... The green piece was disected and carefully mocked up, measured and clamped into place on my car. These were from today.

And Here's the VIN plate of the car that gave it's life to save mine and make Nick's ****in Nasty!... (I saved it as a memento)

So, If you're still reading this, I thank you! I know it's been long, but like I said, there's a lot to say... Hopefully much more to come and I hope you've enjoyed this look into the history of my POS

Over $25,000, Countless hours, countless beers, countless bloody knuckles and long nights have gone into this thing and I'm proud of what it's become.

I can't say thanks enough to those who have helped me along the way...

Justin Warren (Big Time!)
Josh Jones
Zach Jones
Chris Ginev
Chris Fanelli
My kid brother, Nick
Erik @ JNZ
Jimmy, Brent, Fake Justin @ JMF
Nick Fox
Robo Joe
JNZ Tuning
JM Fabrications
GVAutosport
JNZ Finishing

Last edited by EKLIPZGSX97; 12-12-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
EKLIPZGSX97
Tri-State Addict

Member #2381

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
lol they stole oil HAHAHAHA wow what pieces of ****. Car was looking goo though.
Haha, Yup. I agree completely. But thanks for the good comments!

You kept catching me in between posts of making this thread. haha
Old 12-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKLIPZGSX97 View Post
Haha, Yup. I agree completely. But thanks for the good comments!

You kept catching me in between posts of making this thread. haha
haha I'll have a mod clean them out so its three posts in a row for you and it looks clean.

That motor is amazing. I can't wait to build one like that someday. The strut tower implant is sick. I had passengers side strut tower rust and I only needed a spot cut out and re welded so I lucked out. Looks like you did everything right though.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
EKLIPZGSX97
Tri-State Addict

Member #2381

My Ride:

no worries, it can stay the way it is... doesn't matter..

But thanks, yea I had to do everything right, it was too far gone to band-aid
Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
I was staring in disbelief at that strut tower pic for over a minute, lol. The bad-assed-ness of cutting the entire section out of that green car and putting it into yours, is, not to be redundant, bad-ass. Car looks good, man. Hopefully, if any of cars are all running at some point, the DSMers of TST can all get together for a group fix/cruise/meet'n'greet.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Nice build thread so far I read the entire thing. I really like dsm's and maybe someday I'll have one.....or not.

I like your Nock meet pics, I'm actually in your picture on the right and that is my black integra sitting there too. I may have some pics of your car, let me look.

Edit - FOUND IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
I was staring in disbelief at that strut tower pic for over a minute, lol. The bad-assed-ness of cutting the entire section out of that green car and putting it into yours, is, not to be redundant, bad-ass. Car looks good, man. Hopefully, if any of cars are all running at some point, the DSMers of TST can all get together for a group fix/cruise/meet'n'greet.
Yeah I just kinda looked and it and questioned how he intended to put it back into the car at first, then I read that he was just using part of it lol.

Last edited by Honduh; 12-12-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:
97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder AWD

Send a message via AIM to assault187
Wow, You have deffinatly been through your fare share of issues. Awsome work on that panel work so far, looks great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

World record holder for Quickest and Fastest 1/4 mile Spyder, 4 cylinder vert, 1st in 10's, 2.0L 4G63 Holset record, Modified Mag December 2010, Self built, self tuned.
assault187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Eclipse GSX 61
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7996

My Ride:
14' Mercedes C300

Send a message via AIM to Eclipse GSX 61
Honduh you ass I was about to ad the same picture.

Joe that thing is a monster truck I demand you lower it more. In all seriousness though this is one of my favorite DSM's when its actually on the road driving lol.

02 RSX
Eclipse GSX 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #13
sillyeye
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8808

My Ride:
99 GSX

You better never sell this car, you've already invested your soul!!!
sillyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
nice story man. shows that you're dedicated. cant wait to see where it goes!

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
11secdsm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4914

My Ride:
'15 F150, '11 535xi, '95 M3, '04 Wrangler

Finally! Thank god it's on the road to being completed again! Good job Joe!
2006 Evo IX- 609whp-> (2.3L) || 11.19 @ 128 ->(stock 2.0) SOLD
1997 Supra- 670whp- 10.91 @ 139 SOLD
11secdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
EKLIPZGSX97
Tri-State Addict

Member #2381

My Ride:

Thanks so much for the positive comments, it really helps me stay motivated to see an end result.

Josh- 4x4 ride height is THE LEAST of my worries right now... it will come in time...

sillyeye - yea I threw in my soul as collateral somewhere around the $20K mark. lol. But yes, you are right.

Dan, Chris, Nick - Simply put... Thanks!

Honduh - Thanks for the pic! glad to see other people snapped pics of the bitch!

Got Insulin? - I stared in disbelief at the whole car saying the exact same thing to myself and I even knew the plan somewhat. Years of experience and skill from my pops came out in that process. Unquestionably, if I didn't have him, this car would have been crushed...

To those who read the whole thing, you are a champ! haha

Last edited by EKLIPZGSX97; 12-12-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
Soon2bG60
Tri-State Addict

Member #5437

My Ride:
06 SRR WRX

Send a message via AIM to Soon2bG60
Damn thats a really nice dsm.

Haha thats funny, they stole oil, wtf? but left your turbo timer?

Soon2bG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse GSX 61 View Post
Honduh you ass I was about to ad the same picture.

Joe that thing is a monster truck I demand you lower it more. In all seriousness though this is one of my favorite DSM's when its actually on the road driving lol.
Well Its my picture. I took it. Ass.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #19
Spacepope
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #577

My Ride:
'93 Talon

Send a message via AIM to Spacepope
I would've sold it right about here:

You have WAAY more patience than me, good luck with the outcome.

Spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #20
olmytsi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #159

My Ride:
99 Lexus SC300

Send a message via AIM to olmytsi
Very nice man!!!!!!!!!!
olmytsi is offline   Reply With Quote