TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
tint argument

so i was talking to a buddy about window tint and we got into a little argument that hopefully you can shed some light on..

In the state of PA window tint darker than 70% is illegal (meaning it lets 70% of the light through, OR only blocking 30%). My buddy says to me while driving in my car with tinted windows "you better put your windows down, theres a police station up there"

my question to you is this; an officer can not legally pull someone over for their tint being too dark can they? i say this because SOME tint is legal and an officer would have no way to determine if the tint on the suspected car is illegally dark just from looking at it. They can assume it is too dark but by pulling someone over based on an assumption they would be violating ones 4th amendment right against illegal search and seizure. (which is not only unconstitutional but would probably land the officer in some trouble).

if i am completely wrong please let me know, it does seem like it needs to be clarified however due to so many different interpretations.

thank you in advance.

~dave
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:
2006 Crown Victoria Police "Interceptor".

Sorry Dave your wrong. You have no right to Privacy while driving a car that any one can see on a public road as for putting down your windows come on its March do you think the police a dumb. And you can have tint for medical reasons but the officer can stop you to see if you have the proper documents to prove that you need the tint. Looking at my copy of the US Constitution I find no right to window tint sorry dude.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
i agree with what you say to an extent, however if the constitution defined exactly what fit and what did not fit under each amendment i think it would be a rather lengthy document.

First, I am not really sure what you are trying to say by "as for putting down your windows come on its March", are you saying that if i DO have my windows down in march i can be pulled over for that because it deviates from what an officer assumes to be the norm for that month? based on that logic, one could be pulled over in august for NOT having their windows down...

As far as "You have no right to Privacy while driving a car that any one can see on a public road", the way that reads, your saying "if an officer feels you are doing something wrong, or have something illegal in your car," he can pull you over. Are officers not trained to NOT pull a car over based on a "I had a feeling" or "something seemed suspicious" reason?

From what i gather after reading PA tint laws, tint above 70% is legal even for non-medical purposes. How is an officer to determine if the suspected cars tint falls within the legal limit? Would they not need a warrant or the owners consent to "test" the tint with the tint meters that are notoriously inaccurate? AND, since there is no statute banning tint all together, if an officer stopped a vehicle because he noticed the presence of tint, that would not seem to be sufficient probable cause to warrant a stop, and is it not illegal for an officer to stop a car without probably cause?

please dont take this as disrespect, i fully appreciate what you and your fellow officers do on a daily basis, i really just want to see this from a LEOs point of view.
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:

Can't take that being wrong thing well can you!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:

Posts like this wear me out people.

Dave I try to put things in laymans terms with a little bit of humor to keep it as light as possable. So I know the The Constitution does ot spell out every right.

"As far as "You have no right to Privacy while driving a car that any one can see on a public road", the way that reads, your saying "if an officer feels you are doing something wrong, or have something illegal in your car," he can pull you over. Are officers not trained to NOT pull a car over based on a "I had a feeling" or "something seemed suspicious" reason?"

Don't put words in my mouth I said "You have no right to Privacy while driving a car that any one can see on a public road" The inference you have drawn is your own and not what I said. This is why your belief that a warrant would be needed to test the tint on your car in also wrong. You must follow the rules and laws of the State you are driving in.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:

OK Im done!