TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #301
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
No ///M, no care.
Hey when I restore the M everyone is just going to be mad that it's never going to leave the garage, so I want to fix the car I will actually use first

Fixed my air compressor finally which resulted in some progress!

Disassembling the ebrake assemblies.

Removing trunk tar- this stuff is heavy!

Lowering her down (just kidding I had to air hammer the hell out of it to get it to drop)

I only had to drill out one bolt which wasn't bad at all.

Taking stuff apart to begin cleaning.

Debating on rebuilding this 4.10LSD, or getting a 3.73LSD to rebuild instead.

I have to order ebrake cables/shoes/hardware, rear wheel bearings, and the chase bays complete brake line kit, because the lines running the length of the car are too rusty to reuse. Then I'll throw it back together with the GC kit, Konis, upgraded diff, garagistic subframe, and everything else fresh!

Last edited by blue91lx; 06-21-2017 at 10:45 PM.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #302
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Awesome update. I'm really looking forward to seeing it cleaned up and reassembled. A working air compressor is truly invaluable when you need it.

Is one of the diffs better in anyway, or is it just personal preference? I know the 4.10s make the M20 pretty fun despite it's lack of power; my brother had that setup in a gutted E34.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #303
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Awesome update. I'm really looking forward to seeing it cleaned up and reassembled. A working air compressor is truly invaluable when you need it.

Is one of the diffs better in anyway, or is it just personal preference? I know the 4.10s make the M20 pretty fun despite it's lack of power; my brother had that setup in a gutted E34.
Thanks dude!! It really is invaluable- especially in working on these older cars.

The diffs in strength are exactly the same due to being in the same casing, the 3.73 ratio is just a tad better suited for highway driving. After searching for another used 3.73 (since mine was stolen) and seeing the high price tag and lack of availability I decided to just use the 4.10 and I'll have to get used to not having much of a first gear. I'm not convinced I'm going to notice 4.10 vs 3.73 anyway, and I won't make enough power for anything longer than a 3.73.

I'm taking out a spacer/shim in the limited slip assembly which will allow me to add a third clutch pack to increase lockup.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #304
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Oh gotcha. I wasn't sure if they were the exact same diff or not.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #305
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Oh gotcha. I wasn't sure if they were the exact same diff or not.
There are different size diff cases that fit the E30, which is nice! Most of what is available are the 'medium case' (188mm) diffs, specifically the common 4.10 and 3.73.

I decided I'm just going to put new seals in this 4.10 and run it until I can find a euro 3.64 down the line. No sense spending $300 in upgrading clutch packs in a diff that may or may not work out with this enging/trans combo.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #306
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I'm slowly ruining this car for myself by going too in depth (par for the course with every single other car I've built and sold).

To avoid that, I'm going to finish pressing in all of my new stuff, clean things up briefly, and skip the "restoration" portion that adds 10hrs to each project and sucks the life out of the car. Debating on even resealing the diff at this point.

Rear trailing arms getting new bushings, wheel bearings, hubs, ebrake assemblies etc.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #307
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Buried some cat 5e out to the garage and set up an AP! It's the small victories.

Appalachian engineering is cheaper than proper tooling.

I know I said I wasn't going to paint stuff BUT

I need to figure out what to do about the rear halfshafts and I'll throw the back end together. New boots are $100. Reman axles are $120. Reman axles suck. Rebuilding axles.......greasy.

I opted to NOT refresh the rear diff as the bolts were corroded so badly I'd have to replace most/all of the hex heads if I even put new seals in it, and it wasn't leaking.

PLAN: use 4.10 LSD until I find a 3.46LSD and do a full 4 clutch pack rebuild/mod on that.

I need to buy tires so I can mount up my wheels and clearance the fenders for the porterhouse I'm going to throw on 'em (and by porterhouse I mean a 6oz filet in the form of a 225/45)

I just want to do burnouts...
Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #308
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I need to get rid of this E36 before I start putting money into it.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #309
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Hahaha, when does a car remain stock in the hands of a car guy?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #310
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

How much do you want for it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #311
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
I need to get rid of this E36 before I start putting money into it.
i know where you can find a twin turbo truck with all the parts youd need to make a nice little rocket ship....
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #312
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Hahaha, when does a car remain stock in the hands of a car guy?
I gave myself way too much credit when I bought this. "Nah I'll just keep it totally stock and daily it!" In a week I rebuilt the front and rear suspension and bought wheels for it......Houston I have a problem

Quote:
How much do you want for it?
This car isn't nice enough for you, man. That being said, I've got someone coming out to look at it for $1300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
i know where you can find a twin turbo truck with all the parts youd need to make a nice little rocket ship....
Everything seems like such a good idea until you bring it home and turn the first wrench!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #313
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

Quit playing games with my heart. I need me an old bmw asap.

Quote:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #314
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Quit playing games with my heart. I need me an old bmw asap.
You absolutely do! The E36 is commonly known as BMW's last great 'drivers car', making it a solid option now that E30s have gotten so expensive.

With E30 prices continuing to skyrocket, though, you're gonna have to find one soon if you're keen on going that route! A decent $2500 car is now $5-6K. Add another $2K if it's an iS or iX. Add another $30K if it's an M3. But there are still deals to be had.

BUT, if you went E36, going 328i from 96-99 is a great option (the silver E36 above). It's the poor mans E36 M3. Almost all of the performance with none of the price inflation. S52 cams and a front M3 bumper and you're 80% of the way there. If I didn't have 3 other project E30s I would've seen this one through and drove the hell out of it.

Sell the STI since you don't drive it that much, bank 3/4 of it, and find yourself a clean E30. For what it's worth, too, it's an investment if you do it right. I have gotten my money back out of (and more) with each and every one I've owned.

Last edited by blue91lx; 07-11-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #315
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

My main issue is parking right now. Im not selling any of my cars so picking up a 4th plus my girls car would be such a pain in the ass. Im moving to a 2 car garage in october so Ill have more room but I dont know if shell go for the 4th car idea lol. I havent been able to find a correctly priced e36 around here at all either. If I could get my hands on an e36 coupe in silver Id be super stoked.

Quote:
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #316
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
My main issue is parking right now. Im not selling any of my cars so picking up a 4th plus my girls car would be such a pain in the ass. Im moving to a 2 car garage in october so Ill have more room but I dont know if shell go for the 4th car idea lol. I havent been able to find a correctly priced e36 around here at all either. If I could get my hands on an e36 coupe in silver Id be super stoked.
Oh it absolutely would. I still have the M3 and the iX back in PA (which would make 5 cars total) and logistically I have no idea what I'm going to do with them when I bring them out here .

I'm glad you decided to keep the STI!

I think a clean e36 328i with m3 bumper/skirts would look awesome and would be very affordable to get it how you wanted it without going too far in depth.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #317
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

E36 progress (praying the guy coming to look at it this weekend buys it so I don't have to look at it anymore). Racing dynamic springs, Bilsteins, offset M3 strut hats, offset M3 CABs, garagistic poly RTABs.

E30 Progress- it's taken me two months to do a weekends worth of work. My harbor freight c clamp and my ebay wheel bearing kit have been working hard lately

Pressed in the new bearings, cut the races off of my hubs and pressed them into the TAs, found a set of Poly RTABs I found in a random box, pressed those in, and pressed in a urethane diff bushing I found in the same random box. I literally constantly buy parts but never install them.

Threw some of the bolts in my tumbler to clean them up a bit. For 0 effort it cleaned most of the rust off and brought them back to life a bit.

I took a day off tomorrow so I'm going to see what else I can get done.

I have to run new AN brake lines from front to rear (current ones rusted), install the new ebrake cables I have, assemble the rear ebrake assemblies, calipers, etc, roll the fenders, install the rear coilovers, and...... I think that'll be it for the rear of the car.

Once the E36 sells I'm going to bring the motor to the machine shop and get moving on the 3.0L!

For the front suspension I need to find a Z3 steering rack to work with my airbag console, weld on perches for my coilovers, and install all of the new parts I've had in a box for months.

I can't wait to get this thing on the road. Wish I had a car buddy to wrench with for motivation.

Things I still need to do/purchase:

modified engine harness
rebuilt vanos unit
clutch
318is AC line
parallel flow condensor
Z3 1.9 steering rack
e30 catback exhaust/make custom mid pipe
UUC twisted DSSR
Z3 shifter
Nissens M42 Radiator
Pusher and Puller Electric Fan
944 Booster

Last edited by blue91lx; 07-20-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #318
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Nice progress on both cars. I'm pumped to see the 3L come to life. This thread is making me miss BMWs in my life.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #319
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Nice progress on both cars. I'm pumped to see the 3L come to life. This thread is making me miss BMWs in my life.
Thanks, man! You need one. E30s are such timeless cars and are [usually] a pleasure to work on.

The E36 is "done", aka I'm not doing anything else to it before I sell it. The car cleaned up very well, and despite the fact that whatever lowering springs I was sold are INSANELY low and look like ass, the car rides 100,000x better with all of the fresh bushings/struts throughout the car. I really, really want to find a nicer E36 some day, they are great cars.

The poly RTABs with the sandwich bushings to secure them better in their mounts.

On the E30 I re sealed the diff and installed it onto the rear subframe. I began re-booting my rear halfshafts, only to realize the joints are too far gone, so I had to order remans from FEQ which are supposedly decent quality.

I inspected a few things and found that my fuel feed line on the E30 is shot, so I ordered one. I also ended up having to order a speed sensor for the diff as the one I had was very brittle.

"its the little things"

Old 07-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #320
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Said goodbye to the E36 today.

Time to build a motor!