TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
motorvated
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9779

My Ride:
2010 VW Jetta 2.5, 5 speed/ 73 VW Beetle drop top.

Send a message via AIM to motorvated
JDM engines... to trust or not?

My miata is up there im miles. About to turn 200K. In light of this, I've been motor shopping. On ebay (go figure) there are companies all over; these companies sell JDM motors. Usually they have 40-50K miles, or so they claim. There is a company in NJ that sells them and I can get a motor for my car for $600 give or take a little.

Ive heard some horrible things, and some great things. Like the internals being swapped for ****ty stuff, compression being horrible and various other things. So im after the truth!

Have any of you used these JDM import motors? Any car..240s,integras,miatas. Just looking for feedback and advice.
motorvated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
4N2NR
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #9968

My Ride:
1986 & 1990 CRX Si

I purchased an engine off of eBay from a junkyard in Florida who apparently had it shipped from a junkyard in Ohio for my Concorde and am extremely happy with it. I have put about 15,000 miles on it after installing it and done nothing more than routine maintenance. But you should carefully check out the prospective seller. Look at their feedback, volume of sales and even contact a couple of people who purchased similar items to see if after installing the engine it held up well or took extra to get it right. You should be able to send eBay messages to those that have left feedback to find out if the motor was everything as advertised, shipping charges and transit time and how well it is holding up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
4N2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Do your research. Whatever shop it is, see what they offer with the engine.

Wiring? ECU? etc...

See if they have a compression test printout or proof that the engine ran before it was taken out of whatever car it came from. See if they have documentation as to how many miles were on the car.

Also, we have a vendor on here with the username EliteImports, he does nothing but importing of clips and stuff. I bet they could help you out and you'll know its a good source because they are a vendor here.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
I'm def. a fan of this topic considering one of my buddies owns Elite Imports here in Philly (yes give them a call for your engine).

ALOT of companies buy in bulk from Japan and Malaysia. What they do is pick up the phone / or email and say "yeah I need 10 of this and 10 of that, etc etc." With this you get some guy over seas randomly grabbing engines and tossing them into a container. Some of these engines are actually sitting outside in the elements. The Company doing business like this gets very cheap prices but in turn is taking a risk of getting crap. Then, they pass this risk onto the Customer.

Companies doing business this way have put fear into the industry and have raised many questions like yours.

The RIGHT way of doing business within this field is like what Nick from Elite Imports (www.elitejdm.com) does. Nick flies out to Japan to hand pick what he will buy so that when this engine reaches the customer there are no worries! He will actually drive the car before it’s broken down or if the engines already out he will do a compression check, check the plugs, etc. on the spot before loading.

I know I sound like a commercial or like I’m trying to get in some quick advertising for my buddy but everything I say is true. I'm sure everyone has heard the term "if your going to do it, do it right the first time". Any Business following that goes by this should be praised.

www.elitejdm.com (they are also in the vendor section here)
Old 11-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Spocknasty
Meh

Member #986

I can definitely vouch for Nick and Elite JDM. Great company.

I have a JDM motor in my car and it ran fine until I ****ed with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I <3 JSC Speed and Liquid Powder Coats!
Spocknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
motorvated
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9779

My Ride:

I'll check them out, thanks! See what kind of prices they have.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
I'm def. a fan of this topic considering one of my buddies owns Elite Imports here in Philly (yes give them a call for your engine).

ALOT of companies buy in bulk from Japan and Malaysia. What they do is pick up the phone / or email and say "yeah I need 10 of this and 10 of that, etc etc." With this you get some guy over seas randomly grabbing engines and tossing them into a container. Some of these engines are actually sitting outside in the elements. The Company doing business like this gets very cheap prices but in turn is taking a risk of getting crap. Then, they pass this risk onto the Customer.

Companies doing business this way have put fear into the industry and have raised many questions like yours.

The RIGHT way of doing business within this field is like what Nick from Elite Imports (www.elitejdm.com) does. Nick flies out to Japan to hand pick what he will buy so that when this engine reaches the customer there are no worries! He will actually drive the car before it’s broken down or if the engines already out he will do a compression check, check the plugs, etc. on the spot before loading.

I know I sound like a commercial or like I’m trying to get in some quick advertising for my buddy but everything I say is true. I'm sure everyone has heard the term "if your going to do it, do it right the first time". Any Business following that goes by this should be praised.

www.elitejdm.com (they are also in the vendor section here)

i have also heard MANY good things about elite JDM from friends that have been customers...

also check out hmotors online. i have a JDM swap in my del sol from them.

EDIT.... wait what... you have a miata and you want a jdm swap? wtf swap a hard core usdm LS1
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 AM   #8
motorvated
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9779

My Ride:

no. it takes a LOT of money to do that, and i dont want it.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:09 AM   #9
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:

JDM swaps usually do too.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
motorvated
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9779

My Ride:

ok. your right.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
+1 for Elite JDM... like said above you may find 'deals' elsewhere but there's a reason for it... the stuff isnt carefully selected and some of it is garbage.

I talked to Nick at Elite last night about how he goes about business and was very impressed. You can even go down to the shop and he'll start any of the engines for you right there, you can see and hear it run and rev to know that things are peachy. Thats impressive, and you know what you're getting.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #12
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Elite JDM's website is lacking to say the least. I'm not in the market currently, but do they actually stock JDM honda motors?
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:34 AM   #13
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
yeah they just got a ton of them... they've got so much inventory coming in and out that they're struggling to keep up with it. the shop is very organized though and they know all the details about each engine so just give them a call if you're looking, or even just curious about what they have.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
92sileighty
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #6020

My Ride:
05 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
yeah they just got a ton of them... they've got so much inventory coming in and out that they're struggling to keep up with it. the shop is very organized though and they know all the details about each engine so just give them a call if you're looking, or even just curious about what they have.
well said. elite jdm is the only place i would ever trust for any used motor, nick takes his business seriously and gets the best **** out there. can't go wrong
92sileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh View Post
Elite JDM's website is lacking to say the least. I'm not in the market currently, but do they actually stock JDM honda motors?
get yourself a JDM H22A and build it up or a sick ass type R

its funny how JDM honda motors are so much more powerful.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh View Post
http://www.driftpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=230

They sure do.
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #17
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:

*orgasim*
Old 11-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
Zapata2119
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2519

My Ride:
1994 MX6 LSZE

Send a message via AIM to Zapata2119
I can vouch for noyan in virginia that's where i got my jdm engine they definitely know what they're doing

Zapata2119 is offline   Reply With Quote