TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

February 2011 Car & Driver: STi vs. Genesis vs. WRX vs Evo vs Mustang V6, etc, etc

Just got the digital copy of February's Car & Driver digitally- gotta love Zinio on the iPad!

Anyway they had an interesting article pitting several cars against each other, in different price classes, at Virginia International Raceway. I was shocked at some of the results. The WRX was the slowest in the entire lot with a lap time of 3:16.5. Surprisingly the Genesis bested it with a 3:13.8! Even more surprising is the Ford Mustang V6 (with an electronic governor of 114mph) beat both of them with a 3:12.5. The explained the Mustang V6 had the needle pinned at 114mph down most of the back-stretch and still came out on top vs. the two other cars!

The biggest shocker is that the Mustang V6 even beat the new 2011 STi's time (3:13.8)! They went on to explain that the WRX was actually quicker down the front straight (123.4mph vs the STi's 122). They attributed the STi's 2.7 second overall lap lead over the WRX to it's tighter chassis and fad-free brakes.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear the new STi is still getting beat by the Evo at the track (which posted a 3:10.6), yet alone a Ford Mustang GT with a time that trounced the STi at 3:08.6. I heard most of the changes they made to the new STi were in chassis/handling department. Apparently it still exhibits traditional awd excessive understeer. I'm still amazed the Genesis coupe matched the STi's 3:13.8. Hyundai has come a long way apparently- and that's coming from someone who's owned two previous Tiburons in the late 90's.

Finally, I don't want to hear about how the Subies "may not be as fast in a straight line as the american muscle cars but try to take them into a turn" or "see what happens at the track", as both the V8 and V6 Mustangs beat the WRX and STi...on the track no less. Don't take this the wrong way I'm not trashing imports or Subarus. I'm in fact, a previous 2005 STi owner, and a huge fan of them. Just disappointed to see them getting beat, and tired of people going on about how it would be different off the drag strip on an actual road course.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

sweet, so my 2010 gt can handle stock subbies.

really interesting to hear that the stock v6 mustang is a capable vehicle and can contend with other cars on their circuit!

granted... the 2011 GT is gunning for the M3, so i suppose it isn't a surprise that this solid rear ended "pony car" is a track demon.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Ford did a good thing with the 2011 Mustang. I bet the reason why they limited the top speed of the V6 is for more economic tires. I'm sure with the power it has it would have no problem with 140+
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I'm sure with the power it has it would have no problem with 140+
definitely not a problem. the 05-09 gt's were rated at 300bhp, the new v6 is rated at 305bhp and probably rev's higher. and i can attest to the 3v 4.6 in a heavier 2010 being capable of 140 as i've had it up to 135 and it still wanted to go
Old 12-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Rally Sport
Tri-State Addict

Member #14869

My Ride:
02 Impreza 2.5RS

The new wrx and sti are good, like always, but everyone else is getting better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
TWills215
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #17361

My Ride:
has AWD

I started getting use to it after a evo v. sti track meet..... results were not to my liking :/
Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
The new stangs keep impressing me.
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car
Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
I like that the Gen is giving the traditional track monsters a run for their money in it's stock form. Hopefully this will stimulate them to keep making better and better versions of it, and force the other guys to take a look in the mirror.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallpre1 View Post
The new stangs keep impressing me.
the new stangs keep damning me for my lack of patience.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ho-Tep View Post
Just got the digital copy of February's Car & Driver digitally- gotta love Zinio on the iPad!

Anyway they had an interesting article pitting several cars against each other, in different price classes, at Virginia International Raceway. I was shocked at some of the results. The WRX was the slowest in the entire lot with a lap time of 3:16.5. Surprisingly the Genesis bested it with a 3:13.8! Even more surprising is the Ford Mustang V6 (with an electronic governor of 114mph) beat both of them with a 3:12.5. The explained the Mustang V6 had the needle pinned at 114mph down most of the back-stretch and still came out on top vs. the two other cars!

The biggest shocker is that the Mustang V6 even beat the new 2011 STi's time (3:13.8)! They went on to explain that the WRX was actually quicker down the front straight (123.4mph vs the STi's 122). They attributed the STi's 2.7 second overall lap lead over the WRX to it's tighter chassis and fad-free brakes.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear the new STi is still getting beat by the Evo at the track (which posted a 3:10.6), yet alone a Ford Mustang GT with a time that trounced the STi at 3:08.6. I heard most of the changes they made to the new STi were in chassis/handling department. Apparently it still exhibits traditional awd excessive understeer. I'm still amazed the Genesis coupe matched the STi's 3:13.8. Hyundai has come a long way apparently- and that's coming from someone who's owned two previous Tiburons in the late 90's.

Finally, I don't want to hear about how the Subies "may not be as fast in a straight line as the american muscle cars but try to take them into a turn" or "see what happens at the track", as both the V8 and V6 Mustangs beat the WRX and STi...on the track no less. Don't take this the wrong way I'm not trashing imports or Subarus. I'm in fact, a previous 2005 STi owner, and a huge fan of them. Just disappointed to see them getting beat, and tired of people going on about how it would be different off the drag strip on an actual road course.
I agree, I think subaru really hasn't gotten the GR chassis quite right yet. Im glad the sedan sti is back but it doesnt seem theyve actually nailed it yet. The evos torque vectoring is really something special, and overall at this point its just more technical than the subies are. so on the track, they will be inferior.

But as overall street cars, its hard to beat the subies. Theyre mix of usable performance, practicality, reliability, robust build, and versatility from the awd make them hard to equal as an overall package for the average person.

None of the said competitors are on par with the subarus in all of the mentioned areas. Mustangs are far less practical and are not as versitile, genesis coupes are less practical, not as versitile, and not as solidly built. And the Evo, while being the closest match up.....lacks reliability and build quality compared to the STi.

Were talking stock here, all of these cars have solid performance as is, and all can be modded to the owners liking. But the other aspects of these cars are not so easily changed.

So all in all, my point is that on the track subies do get beat by many competitors. But on the street (where 99% of owners use them) they are superior in the overall package they offer to all of their competitors.

Track performance can be changed, other aspects cannot

The sales speak for themselves

Last edited by ndubz; 12-29-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
vdcoff
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6984

My Ride:
2011 Impreza WRX Ltd / 2012 Yamaha FZ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
I agree, I think subaru really hasn't gotten the GR chassis quite right yet. Im glad the sedan sti is back but it doesnt seem theyve actually nailed it yet. The evos torque vectoring is really something special, and overall at this point its just more technical than the subies are. so on the track, they will be inferior.

But as overall street cars, its hard to beat the subies. Theyre mix of usable performance, practicality, reliability, robust build, and versatility from the awd make them hard to equal as an overall package for the average person.

None of the said competitors are on par with the subarus in all of the mentioned areas. Mustangs are far less practical and are not as versitile, genesis coupes are less practical, not as versitile, and not as solidly built. And the Evo, while being the closest match up.....lacks reliability and build quality compared to the STi.

Were talking stock here, all of these cars have solid performance as is, and all can be modded to the owners liking. But the other aspects of these cars are not so easily changed.

So all in all, my point is that on the track subies do get beat by many competitors. But on the street (where 99% of owners use them) they are superior in the overall package they offer to all of their competitors.

what he said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
92awdtsi
Tri-State Addict

Member #8248

My Ride:
92 talon tsi awd

not to be rude but, how is a 100% stock evo not reliable?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
jjm4life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4443

My Ride:
jew canoe

Send a message via AIM to jjm4life
TST subie fanbois man your keyboards....
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post

not sure what you're talking about.

the mustang offer more trunk space than the sedan impreza, so it is more practical in that regard. not to mention the v6 mustang will easily outsell the impreza sti or wrx.

the mustang is definitely more practical with a near 50/50 weight distribution, more trunk space, more power, better MPG, lower octane rating. not to mention it is cheaper than the base wrx and faster than the base 33k sti.

i don't have time to look up all the stats and compare them... but those are what i found just now.

about the only thing that the sti and wrx are better at than the mustang is driving in the snow. but considering we've seen higher HP corvettes hauling christmas trees down the road i'd say it'll do just fine with the right tires and driver.

in regards to all of the vehicles in this comparison, the V6 mustang trumps them all. It's a fantastic buy at the starting price of 23k and some change.

it's cool... i hate to admit that the 2011 mustang v6 is a badass little pony car in the same standing as my 2010 gt that i spent 10k more on last year. but at least the new gt's can start to move into the muscle car arena, despite still carrying a pony car sized motor.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
vdcoff
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6984

My Ride:
2011 Impreza WRX Ltd / 2012 Yamaha FZ8

just lock the thread now lol

Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
92awdtsi
Tri-State Addict

Member #8248

My Ride:
92 talon tsi awd

LOL @ all the subbie owners getting pissed because the new STI got its ass handed to it by a v6 mustang > LOL

Last edited by 92awdtsi; 12-29-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92awdtsi View Post
LOL @ all the subbie owners getting pissed because the new STI got is ass handed to it by a v6 mustang > LOL
i have something to put in my sig finally... thank you
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
92awdtsi
Tri-State Addict

Member #8248

My Ride:
92 talon tsi awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
i have something to put in my sig finally... thank you
i fixed a spelling error, so now its sig worthy
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

OP, any link to the article?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
i_ride_fieroGT
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10595

My Ride:
Does not hit mivec anymore.(DD) 06 solstice 5 speed. 84 IMSA Fiero5 speed. 87 Fiero GT 5 speed

I'm proud to see that american manufactur's are getting there a^^es in gear about there flagship cars. sadley it has tpo be ford thats on top of it all right now but still nice to see.
Closed Thread