TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
gtsiawd96
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #227

My Ride:
1995 Eagle talon Tsi Awd

Send a message via AIM to gtsiawd96
NJ Exhaust Ticket

Hello officers. I have searched through all the NJ exhaust topics, no luck. I was pulled over in New Jersey the other night for loud exhaust I haven't been pulled over in more than two years, I consider myself a good driver and a car enthusiast, hence I'm on this sight. I downshifted into second 35mph'ish coming into my apt. and the officer followed me to my parking spot and put up the lights. I have been at the apt. here for about 6 months. I have not swapped my registration or my license over yet from parents house also in New Jersey either. He came back to the window, saying he was ticketing me for loud exhaust. I asked very calmly, if there was any DB measurement taken? Explained I have good inspection sticker and if he could or explain the law that constitutes "Loud." Every officers opinion cannot possibly be the same. He couldn't and just said I could give you more tickets for not having your license or registration(witch expires in a month) switched over this address. He replies, "I'm trying to do you a favor here."

I'm thinking about fighting this ticket. He said he wants me to put the stock exhaust on. I'm an Audi mechanic with a pretty good head on my shoulders, the car is not that loud its most definitely quieter than most of the modified cars and no doubt motorcycles on the road. I'm not going to install the stock exhaust. So I have a feeling that I'm going to be targeted/possibly harassed for lake of better words. But if I pay it than, I'm pretty much pleading guilty and saying yes, my vehicle is overly noisy. Making future fights possibly harder if I go to court down the road for the same offense.

I have an Apexi N1 cat-back system and this is taken directly from them:

"All A'PEX exhaust systems comply with applicable emission laws since they neither modify nor relocate the required factory emission control devices; they are considered "direct replacement" parts. Such parts do not require a CARB Executive Order (EO) since they are not "add on" or "modified" parts. A'PEX exhaust systems are "functionally identical" to the OEM parts during emission tests. Sound levels are tested on stock vehicles before the product release to ensure compliance with the 95dB limit. "

The ticket is only 47 dollars. I'm really not worried about that. I just don't want to be messed with constantly now. Any suggestions, has anyone ever fought a NJ exhaust ticket and won??? It looks much easier to win in PA. There doesn't seem to a straight answer like PA with the DB testing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

1995 Tsi AWD
307awhp@24psi
Track numbers coming soon.
gtsiawd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
gtsiawd96
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #227

My Ride:
1995 Eagle talon Tsi Awd

Send a message via AIM to gtsiawd96
Anyone??

No one has won or knows someone who has won a Noisy muffler ticket in New Jersey?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

1995 Tsi AWD
307awhp@24psi
Track numbers coming soon.
gtsiawd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:
2006 Crown Victoria Police "Interceptor".

YOU can always fight a summons. In NJ the law only says LOUD so it is up to the officer if you can get the Db rate for you system and for a stock system and if they are close you may win your case. sounds like you had other issues on this stop and the officer was cutting you a break by giving you the least expensive summons. So its your call