TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
drew
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2617

My Ride:
fuzion & exploder

Send a message via AIM to drew
anyone getting vista?

im going to buy it just so i can get a clean start on my computer, its getting really slow cause i got so many viruses and stuff. i dont even have icons anymore just the names of whatever i click haha. i did that updater thing to see if i can use vista, looks good!

No issues were detected for these system components
The following table contains system components that meet the minimum hardware requirements needed for Windows Vista. Category Action Required Explanation
CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz
System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 2.00 GB of RAM.
DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.
Video card No action required Your current video card will support the Windows Aero™ user experience.

but i got these problems

ATI Catalyst Control Center ATI Technologies Inc. 1.2.2340 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.

ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver ATI Technologies There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

hope i can still use vista

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
i prefer windows 3.1
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
i had the beta version and it was nice...ran slow, but was nice

im getting some latest release soon
Old 01-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Vista blows.

Kubuntu is going on this computer next re-format.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Send a message via AIM to SexyDSM95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
i had the beta version and it was nice...ran slow, but was nice

im getting some latest release soon
Probably ran slow because you have less then 1GB of DDR2 RAM. I am getting it thanks to comp benefits from Circuit City. I get the Home Premium version, I want the version that includes data encryption of drives. I wonder what companies like Norton and McAffee are going to do since all versions of Vista now have anti-virus/adware/spyware (Pretty much Windows Live OneCare) built into it.

I have played already with a laptop from HP that came pre-installed with it. It's very Mac-like, very GUI user friendly.
SexyDSM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyDSM95 View Post
Probably ran slow because you have less then 1GB of DDR2 RAM. I am getting it thanks to comp benefits from Circuit City. I get the Home Premium version, I want the version that includes data encryption of drives. I wonder what companies like Norton and McAffee are going to do since all versions of Vista now have anti-virus/adware/spyware (Pretty much Windows Live OneCare) built into it.
yea my pc is a 1.8
512 ram
100gb harddrive
my laptop has a sticker that says vista capable or compatable so il get it
Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
yea my pc is a 1.8
512 ram
100gb harddrive
my laptop has a sticker that says vista capable or compatable so il get it
Yeap 512MB is like the minimum Vista needs to run. How I explain it, is that with XP as well just realize that the minimum needed to run just means that you are lucky to get it on there. It uses that much process memory just for it to sit at idle and look pretty.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
drew
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2617

My Ride:
fuzion & exploder

Quote:

I have played already with a laptop from HP that came pre-installed with it. It's very Mac-like, very GUI user friendly.
i used to use mac and liked it way more. i cant wait for a widnows interface that doesn't look like ass. do you know when it goes on sale?

will it run good on my computer, it's slow but when i took it to best buy they said they can't do any upgrades for it except a video card maybe

it says

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
2.79GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

my video thing is a RAEDON x800

Last edited by drew; 01-25-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

My windows interface is haxed to hell, it doesn't look like windows anymore anyway. And suprisingly this version of explorer I run takes up like a 1/2 of the memory the old one did and this one is a LOT more flashy and has a LOT more **** in it.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
i used to use mac and liked it way more. i cant wait for a widnows interface that doesn't look like ass. do you know when it goes on sale?

will it run good on my computer, it's slow but when i took it to best buy they said they can't do any upgrades for it except a video card maybe

it says

2.79GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Jan. 27th it's released for the public

Is this a laptop or desktop? You can always look up the mobo specs on it and see what the max is for physical memory. I would highly highly suggest that if it's a desktop and you have PCI-Express to upgrade that card instead of standard PCI or AGP. AGP is the worst to use for upgrade of video cards since the bus speed is wayyyyy slower then PCI-E and PCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_ View Post
My windows interface is haxed to hell, it doesn't look like windows anymore anyway. And suprisingly this version of explorer I run takes up like a 1/2 of the memory the old one did and this one is a LOT more flashy and has a LOT more **** in it.
Just remember that IE is an interface embedded into Windows. For people who use Mozilla it will takes up more process memory in comparison. I like IE7's interface but still refuse to use it for personal banking or anything like that. When the owner of Microsoft himself states that IE is unstable and not secure then I know to stay away.

Last edited by SexyDSM95; 01-25-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
drew
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2617

My Ride:
fuzion & exploder

Quote:
My windows interface is haxed to hell, it doesn't look like windows anymore anyway.
in a good way or bad way

cause mine is fuxored

this is my desktop

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3...omputer8gk.jpg

it takes me like 10 min to find my games cause i cant just look for the icon. i never close my internet browser cause if i do when i reopen it it goes to some horse having sex with girls website

Old 01-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
2.79GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

It will run fine on that. The processor could be faster but it will run.

I am abandoning windows full time basically as soon as vista is released. I still have to address the issue of photoshop emulation in linux, but I am working on it....

And when I say my desktop is haxed to hell, I mean I did it intentionally.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
drew
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2617

My Ride:
fuzion & exploder

Quote:
It will run fine on that. The processor could be faster but it will run.

I am abandoning windows full time basically as soon as vista is released. I still have to address the issue of photoshop emulation in linux, but I am working on it....

And when I say my desktop is haxed to hell, I mean I did it intentionally.
is the processer the same thing as cpu? cause i wanted a better one but they said they can't put faster ones on my mother ship something, but said it would be fine because it has 2 of the 2.80ghz ones and that's fast ( i guess? ) i hate my pos computer it takes like 10 min to start up and sometimes it stops halfway and i gotta unplug it or kick it

Old 01-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Quote:
is the processer the same thing as cpu? cause i wanted a better one but they said they can't put faster ones on my mother ship something, but said it would be fine because it has 2 of the 2.80ghz ones and that's fast ( i guess? )
Terminology is similar. the CPU is usually meaning the tower itself. The processor is that chip that goes onto the mobo that has a heat sync on it.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #15
andru1313
Tri-State Aficionado

Location: with my true love or my Garage which ever is warmer
Member #717

My Ride:
2004 VW R32/2006 WW Evo IX MR

Wow they have a website describing all the details and it has screen shots.. Bonus!!!!
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
andru1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #16
drew
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2617

My Ride:
fuzion & exploder

Quote:
Terminology is similar. the CPU is usually meaning the tower itself. The processor is that chip that goes onto the mobo that has a heat sync on it.
ohhh k.. i'm going to go ahead and google like every word you just used to install vista can i just stick the CD in and it does itself like a game? or do i need to take it somewere

Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
andru1313
Tri-State Aficionado

Location: with my true love or my Garage which ever is warmer
Member #717

My Ride:
2004 VW R32/2006 WW Evo IX MR

Quote:
ohhh k.. i'm going to go ahead and google like every word you just used to install vista can i just stick the CD in and it does itself like a game? or do i need to take it somewere

Last edited by andru1313; 01-25-2007 at 03:05 PM.
andru1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

99% of the time, the reason your computer is starting slow is because you let windows degrade over time.

I reformat my computer... maybe every 4-5 months? My computer is as follows:

AMD Athlon64 3200 (the equivalent of 3.2 ghz in intel terms)
512 x 2 Corsair Platinum (don't make it anymore, this is what it was called)
2 x 36.7GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
a K8 chipset Asus board
and a 6800GT 256MB

This computer runs faster than my friends computers with processors like a 3500 or an FX55. Yeah, I doubted this too, but it is all how they use their computers. Over time, windows literally starts to implode in itself and decays as the system registry starts getting filled with junk. Windows just blows, I am not a fanboy as I use windows every day of my life, it's just a known fact. Not saying linux is absolutely better, because it isn't.

What I would reccomend doing for you is getting someone that knows a good bit about computers to reformat your computer and rebuild it with vista from scratch. At the point where you are windows is un-salvageable. Get someone to format... just be warned you will lose EVERYTHING on your computer. All your files, settings, everythign.

Last edited by Renegade_; 01-25-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #19
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Quote:
Call FireDog and I come-a-runnin

Quote:
99% of the time, the reason your computer is starting slow is because you let windows degrade over time.

I reformat my computer... maybe every 4-5 months? My computer is as follows:

AMD Athlon64 3200 (the equivalent of 3.2 ghz in intel terms)
512 x 2 Corsair Platinum (don't make it anymore, this is what it was called)
2 x 36.7GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
a K8 chipset Asus board
and a 6800GT 256MB

This computer runs faster than my friends computers with processors like a 3500 or an FX55. Yeah, I doubted this too, but it is all how they use their computers. Over time, windows literally starts to implode in itself and decays as the system registry starts getting filled with junk. Windows just blows, I am not a fanboy as I use windows every day of my life, it's just a known fact. Not saying linux is absolutely better, because it isn't.
Honestly...with most customers I have dealt with for laggy computers it's usually not Windows fault. It's usually because so much spam or corrupted drives due to a bad installation. Maintinence is the key to most windows based machines. People purchase the software to help them but don't update it or run the scans.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #20
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
Honestly...with most customers I have dealt with for laggy computers it's usually not Windows fault. It's usually because so much spam or corrupted drives due to a bad installation. Maintinence is the key to most windows based machines. People purchase the software to help them but don't update it or run the scans.
Not even that, on this current partition I haven't formatted it in 6 months, this is the longest I have gone between re-formats and it still runs great. Mainly because I know what stuff not to open and how to handle stuff if it goes wrong. I don't have a firewall, i dont have a virus scan I boot everytime. No, I am not dumb - I just don't get viruses. I dont have that problem with windows. The average user will just open stuff without even looking at it... mainly because they don't know what they are looking at...