TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Vendor Marketplace > [TST] Vendors > Mishimoto
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:
2008 EVO X, 1991 RHD J-Spec S13 (566RWHP)

How To: Install Exhaust Wrap by Mishimoto

DIY Guide – Heat Wrapping your exhaust manifold

Since we at Mishimoto love to see our customers happy, we wanted to show you how to wrap an exhaust manifold with our new Mishimoto Exhaust Wrap. Click the link to see what the wrap can do for you!

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...68#post1629068

The manifold we are wrapping today is a 4-1, 2 piece, Honda D16 (4 cylinder) header.

Step #1 – Cleaning and Preparation

Clean off any and all dirt, oils, or anything else that may have made it’s way onto the surface. We sprayed it down with Simple Green, cleaned it, and then wiped it down with a cloth and Brakleen.

Step #2 – Starting the Wrap

We started with the downpipe first. Unroll about 2 feet or so and make the first wrap. Put some zip ties on it to prevent the wrap from moving.

Step #3 – Wrapping

Begin to wrap tightly around the exhaust piece while pulling on the wrap itself.

*Remember to continually pull on the wrap to keep it tight!

**Make sure you over lap about a ½”**

When you get to a bend, you must pull the wrap in order to get any creases, overlaps, and folds out!

**We found it would be easier to wrap while the o2 sensor was installed. This prevented us from getting any of the wrap stuck in the threads.

Apply zip ties to hold it in place. Almost done!

Step #4 – Finishing the Wrap

Take a steel tie, put it around where you started wrapping.

Now, get a buddy to help. Hold the silver piece, and pull on the black steel to tighten the tie. We used pliers to do this. Once tightened, fold the extra back over the silver piece and then push the metal “clips” down to hold everything in place.

Now repeat step #4 where the wrap ends (at the other side of the exhaust piece). Cut off the extra that’s left over.

Done the downpipe!

Step #5

Now, repeat steps #1-4 for the upper piece. Remember to keep it tight! The more bends the manifold has, the more of a chance a fold, or flap can develop! We found it was easier to unroll the remaining wrap and pull it all through with each pass.

Pulling the wrap through:

Try to do as much wrapping as possible without stopping. We chose to go down runner #4, and up runner #3 and cut. Then, a separate piece going down runner #2 and coming up #1. This was the preferred method rather than wrapping each runner, then cutting when we got to the end. Not mention, you would probably run out of the steel ties, too.

Both #3 and #4 runners wrapped, and tied.

Now, begin wrapping the remaining runners of the manifold the same way.

Manifold is now done!

We then bolted the two pieces together and we were finished! Here are some pictures of the final product.

Be sure to check out our Mishimoto Exhaust Wrap in action! Click the link below:

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...68#post1629068

Thanks!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
|
]

The Leader in Aftermarket Performance Cooling Technology
Offering Aluminum Radiators, Intercoolers, Silicone Hoses & Cooling Accessories
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Correct me if I am wrong, but ive seen people wet the material before wrapping to get a tighter fit? Like Spray water on the pipe to help get the material to conform easier and then to spray after it was all wrapped up
|Nikon|
Twitter:
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:

I would not suggest it as the water will become trapped under the wrap, causing the header to rust and break down. This is where I believe the "Wrapped headers have cracking issue" problems come from.

As long as the everything is dry and clean, no dirt, oil, moisture, or anything else can get in there, the header should last just as long as it normally does.
|
|
|
|
]

Old 01-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Roughly how much of the Wrap material was used here, fellas?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:

We had purposely wrapped the downpipe and manifold thicker so we would have just the right amount. The kit includes a 35 ft roll of heat wrap. If wrapped conservatively, I would assume there would have been about 5 ft left over.
|
|
|
|
]

Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
We had purposely wrapped the downpipe and manifold thicker so we would have just the right amount. The kit includes a 35 ft roll of heat wrap. If wrapped conservatively, I would assume there would have been about 5 ft left over.
And what was the OD for the downpipe? I'd think it might vary a little bit for a full 3" exhaust moving up from what may be 2.25" or 2.5".
Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:

The amount of wrap needed for a 3" would be greater than what's needed for a 2.5", so you are thinking correctly, got insulin. The downpipe is 2.25" but the wrap was covering the outside of that, which measured to be about 2.4" in diameter.
|
|
|
|
]

Old 01-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
That looks to be a stainless header no?

I always soak the wrap in water before I start. It makes a tighter wrap and any moisture is evaporated once the piece heats up.

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:

Yes, it is a stainless header that was wrapped. Be careful if you decide to wet everything during installation. The water/moisture can bring dirt, oil(s), grime, etc in with it causing decomposing issues since it is trapped under the wrap.

If anything, I would suggest to use some sort of silicone sealant spray on the outside of the once the wrapping is completed.
|
|
|
|
]