TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drag Racing
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #21
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

Send a message via MSN to 06evors
I left work a half hour earlier than usual but had to wait on friends that wanted to go. I have a test pipe but just haven't installed it yet. As far as the tune I've wanted to get a custom tune but have not learned how to go about doing that since I DD my car and downtime sucks. It doesn't help that Al from Dynflash doesn't answer his phone, though I undestand he's a busy guy.
06evors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:
04 EVO Wrecked by Oakes Detailing

Those times aren't bad especially for your first time out. Don;t listen to the bench racers on here who don't race their cars. with an EVO the whole race is in the first 60' and how fast you shift. if you can get out of the hole good, and shift fast enough to keep the turbo spooled you're all set. It really sounds harder then it is though.

Your trap speed indicates you have the power to run low 12s but the mods in your sig tells me your car has the power to run high 11s.

Practice is key, first thing you need to work on is your 60' though. How were you launching? did you use the stationary rev limiter at all or just launch like you would normally on the street?
alwaysinboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #23
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

I've seen threads on EvoM where people with my setup minus the ported ex and o2 have been in the high 11's. I used the launch control built into the car from the factory. I just slipped the clutch too much in fear of shocking the drivtrain.

Last edited by 06evors; 05-31-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #24
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

im not bench racing at all
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #25
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06evors View Post
I've seen threads on EvoM where people with my setup minus the ported ex and o2 have been in the high 11's. I used the launch control built into the car from the factory. I just slipped the clutch too much in fear of shocking the drivtrain.
slipping the stock clutch is fine as long as you only do it a VERY little bit to launch. you only need to ride it utill the car starts to move forward a few feet. once that inital shock is gone come up off the clutch quick and smack the gas.

thats what I used to do to net low 1.7s on a pretty regular basis with the stock clutch. It wasn't until I hot lapped the car one afternoon @ Island doing 6 back to back 1.7 60's that it started to slip on the way home.

The trick to making a stock clutch last is to let it cool down enough after each pass so it doesn't glaze over on you.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 PM   #26
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #27
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:

no problem mang.

Forgot to mention tire pressure which is VERY important. you want to make sure each axle has the same PSI. I usually start around 32psi on all four corners and adjust from there. If you find your bogging then up the pressure a few PSI, or launch harder. If you find your spinning then lower the pressure and ride the clutch a 'touch' more.

this is for regular street tires, DR or slicks I've never run on the EVO. You really need to make ALOT of power to need those kind of tires with these cars anyway. I think alot of people use sticky tires as a crutch to compensate for bad driving habits. If you can get low 1.7s on regular street tires, with a 140 treadwear rating or higher, then your doing great. I've actually ran some of my best stock turbo passes on Blizzak WS-50 snow tires, lol.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #28
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

That might be something I'll look into because the stock Yokohamas are just about bald. Being that they're 235-250 a pieces I've been reluctant on forking out that cash for a new set of those or the 615's.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #29
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06evors View Post
That might be something I'll look into because the stock Yokohamas are just about bald. Being that they're 235-250 a pieces I've been reluctant on forking out that cash for a new set of those or the 615's.

if your looking for a great replacement tire check out the bridgestone Potenza RE-01R in 245/40 size. There are on sale @ tire rack right now for cheap! they are a step up from the RT-615's, which actually are a step down from the A046's. These have a 140 treadware rating which is basically just above a drag radial but these corner excellent in the rain.

I just got done a 2 day HPDE @ shenandoah and they performed great.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #30
sleeperstyle
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #848

alwaysinboost was like the kid who just couldn't play basketball good, but kept trying and trying until he finally could make a layup. hell i think he got a good .5 or MORE out of his evo from where he (and i and scapaldo) thought it ran it's best. just kept picking away at the times until it actually resembled a respectable pos.

i think it could be the spark plug gap though, making the car slower. gap them down a little bit
sleeperstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #31
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

Also, if you are not using your factory 2 stage rev limieter to launch, you probably should..Just make sure you keep the gas to the floor for a good 3-5 seconds and don't let off until you shift to 2nd..Pop your hood and leave it open after every run to let the trans/clutch cool as much as possible between runs..With practice you will see your times drop drastically..
peteyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #32
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:

whatever you say sleeperstyle.
you just don't have anything useful to add to this thread because you don't know about that pedal on the left.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #33
turbo4g63
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1057

My Ride:
98' 4runner

Send a message via AIM to turbo4g63
practice makes perfect....get those 60' times down to 1.8's and your in the 12's EASY...i agree that the track is completely different from the street....
Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 AM   #34
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

sleeperstyle knows whats up i remember his dsm days and an evo 9 should haul with those mods start getting it down
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #35
sleeperstyle
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
whatever you say sleeperstyle.
you just don't have anything useful to add to this thread because you don't know about that pedal on the left.
what, the e-brake??

thread starter, listen to these people and realize if you want good times out of your evo you need to launch it hard, shift it hard, and accept the fact that things break when you drag race a car. or the car lasts forever and runs 13's when it should run 11's. depends if you really care about what it runs, and if you are afraid to work on it or not and if you have the $ or not.

good luck.
sleeperstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #36
rmiii28
Tri-State Addict

Member #3368

My Ride:
G body

Send a message via AIM to rmiii28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperstyle View Post
what, the e-brake??

thread starter, listen to these people and realize if you want good times out of your evo you need to launch it hard, shift it hard, and accept the fact that things break when you drag race a car. or the car lasts forever and runs 13's when it should run 11's. depends if you really care about what it runs, and if you are afraid to work on it or not and if you have the $ or not.

good luck.
yea nick is right you can't expect to get good times out of the car if you don't drive it, and you got to realize that things break.He is just teling it how it is