TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Any boat owners out there?

As some of you know I moved to FL a couple years ago... recently picked up a boat which I already found a bunch of projects to get started with. Don't know too many knowledgeable boat people so I figured I'd ask if there were any other boat owners on there... if so post up some pics and info on what you have!

This is a 1995 Proline 170 with a Johnson 90 on it.
Had it out at one of the nearby sandbars a couple weekends ago with my dog...

The motor has good compression but just isn't getting the boat up and going like it should so I've been working through figuring out what it is.
I have replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the carbs, and now I just replaced all of the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs, including a new fuel water separator and primer bulb. We'll see if that did the trick this weekend.

So yup, anyone else have anything to share?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Did you look at your prop? It might be starting to slip. Nice looking boat! Water looks beautiful.

I have a 1968 16' MFG with a 50 HP 2 Stroke Evinrude. It's a little beat but runs good. I go boating in the Bohemia River in MD.

GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Oh yeah, RPMs build slowly so I don't think that the prop is slipping... the motor just feels like a dog. With 2 or 3 people in the boat it'll very slowly get on plane - 8 or 10 seconds till its really cooking. Max RPM of about 5000 and about 31-32 mph with a prop on that has a 19 pitch.
I had 5 people on board a couple weekends ago and we had a max speed of 13 mph at full throttle, couldn't even get on plane with 3 of the 5 people all the way up front and the motor trimmed down all the way.

I do think I need to go to a 17 pitch prop but thats not the only issue here. It does sounds like it misfires in the midrange but then clears up at higher rpm... we'll see if refreshing the fuel system helps, if not I'll look back at ignition.

Out of curiosity, how quickly does your boat get moving and up on plane?
Your boat looks solid... I definitely have a new appreciation for them now. And you just reminded me I really need a swim platform/ladder!

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
we'll see if refreshing the fuel system helps, if not I'll look back at ignition.
The ethanol in the fuel really eats the fuel lines on boats, especially older ones like mine.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how quickly does your boat get moving and up on plane? Your boat looks solid... I definitely have a new appreciation for them now. And you just reminded me I really need a swim platform/ladder!
With just me in the boat I can get it to plane in about 3-4 seconds. If I have 4 people it takes a while to get up on plane and sometimes might not ever make it unless some people come forward to help it.

Quote:
I definitely have a new appreciation for them now. And you just reminded me I really need a swim platform/ladder!
I grew up around boats but owning one gives you a definite appreciation for them. Yes swim platforms/ladders are nice! If you get one get a ladder with at least 3 steps on it. Mine only has 2 and it can be a pain getting out of the water. An extra step or 2 would help.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

My girlfriends father has 2. A boston whaler rage, 15ft jet boat with a 175 in it. His quick fun play boat. And he has a 1996 Stratos center console we take down to nj every year on vacation. Both are fun boats in their own ways. The Stratos is a fishing machine. 36 mile radar, sonar fish/depth finder, T-Top. Both are currently for sale. He just doesn't use them enough any more. I'm pretty bummed about it though cuz I had access to boats for the past 5 years haha.

I'm looking into a couple of jet skis now. We will see what happens with them though.
I think the reason you had such a miserable time is because you neglected to urinate on yourself. I believe another contributing factor is your diet. You mentioned nothing about eating raw snakes... not even one "moral booster" snack of a handful of maggots. The first sign that things weren't right was the minute you decided to build an igloo instead of climbing inside an animal carcass. I think you failed because you lack dedication.
300zx_tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
ho1ywars
Tri-State Addict

Member #282

My Ride:
S14, EF, 600RR

Send a message via AIM to ho1ywars
15ft aluminum starcraft with a 40hp merc!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140807_181614_resized.jpg (91.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2014071795181504_resized_1.jpg (40.7 KB, 8 views)
ho1ywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
OMGz Turbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3108

My Ride:
01' WS6..That whistles...01' Explorer 5.slow

I don't know if it will let me link this photo but this is my dad's 32' Luhrs convertible it has a full cabin (AC, TV, Shower, Captains room, Crapper) and runs twin 454's instead of diesels. If it ever gets repowered it will run diesels though.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT BEING TTT APPROVED
OMGz Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote