TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you considering joining the military?
No way! 21 51.22%
Yes! 8 19.51%
It's been a thought in the back of my head. 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

Send a message via AIM to Sberk06
Military

Is anyone on this site enlisted in the Military?
Recently, i've been considering joining the Marines. Obviously it takes ALOT of consideration in making sure its really what you want becuase its no joke. I thought it would be cool, if anyone is enlisted, to talk from experience, because we all no recruiters will tell you what you want to here.
Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
even your girlfriend thinks you're a ricer haha
Sberk06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
i've been seriously contemplating the military, more specifically the marines, for a very long time. i havent pulled the trigger because i only have a year of school left before i'm finished and i dont want to interrupt that now but i'm still considering joining after school is finished. now, i personally do not have any military experience, but i do have a bunch of friends that are marines and i only hear good things from them about it. i hear good things about boot camp, being stationed on base to being overseas. of course there is the very real potential to have sh!tty experiences in the military. ie. ugly side of war, etc. but i guess that is to be somewhat expected and always in the back of your head when deciding whether to enlist or not. anyway, i just thought i'd share my .02 with you. you can take it to heart or take it with a grain of salt, either way these are the things i've learned and feel about the military.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
im thinking about coming back home and doing the national guard with my best friend who just got out of active duty. and theres always the air force or navy.

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

im really considering it. i went to the recruiters office and talked to someone for like 2 hours and took a placement test and it came up that im eligable for 85% of the jobs they offer.. im really thinking hard though before i sign my life over to the gov for the next 5 years.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #5
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:
Shelby Z, ZJ, NSX, CBR954RR, Hawk GT

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
id like to point out two things, IF you join COUNT on going. lotta guys get sent right out of basic. also, marines tend to take on the nastiest spots with absolutely ancient equipment. not saying the army is super great but trying to give you an idea of some things ive seen in the past few years
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #6
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

yeah a buddy of mine joined, but was lucky and is in japan.. for the most part unless they really need you, its based off your job.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
I can't.

Therefore upset.

Heart murmur FTMFL!

BUY MY STUFF!

james_ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:
88 RX7 TII, 2012 WRX hatch

Send a message via AIM to Silverfc88
Even if he got sent to Japan he can still go over. Even if it isn't Iraq, there is also places like Oman, Africa, Afghan, Kyrgyztan, Kuwait and alot of other places that you don't hear about.

Yeah its based of your job (well not really in some cases), but they need everyone there.

Edit: There is a bunch of military on here. I think we cover most of the services on here except maybe Coast Gaurd? So you should be able to get some decent opinions about the service.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj

Last edited by Silverfc88; 07-06-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Silverfc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

agreed.. if your afraid of going to iraq, military it probably not for you.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #10
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
id like to point out two things, IF you join COUNT on going. lotta guys get sent right out of basic. also, marines tend to take on the nastiest spots with absolutely ancient equipment. not saying the army is super great but trying to give you an idea of some things ive seen in the past few years
agreed 100%. marines take a lot of causalities. my friend from highschool is going over and to tell you the truth i wont be surprised if he gets wounded.

but honestly if you dont mind being told what to do and can handle responsibility and moving, military life shouldnt be bad.

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #11
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:

Why the Marines anyways? I'm not saying there bad or anything. I just want to hear your reasons for wanting to join the Marines. They are a special type and not everyone can be one.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj
Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 AM   #12
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
oh yeah, your job means dick as soon as you are out of training. on my last deployment our scout unit was tied up running gates and towers while cooks and mechanics went outside the wire. madness i tell you
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #13
martang
Tri-State Addict

Member #2574

Send a message via AIM to martang
The only thing I have thought about joining is the coast guard
martang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #14
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

As of now im considering the Marines because if i'm going to be part of something i would want to be part of the best, and imo the marines are the best. My dad was a Sergent in the Marines for about 8 years, i was actually born on a base in Panama on the canal. Don't get me wrong i'm looking into all of the different parts, but the Marines stick out the most. I just think it would be nice knowing, when all is said and done (figuring i'm alive), I was a marine. Idk thats what i tihnk about it.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #15
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:

Well sounds like a plan. Just make sure you get the job you want to do while your in and don't let the recruiter convince you into doing something else.

What did you want to do in the Marines?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #16
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspek View Post
agreed 100%. marines take a lot of causalities. my friend from highschool is going over and to tell you the truth i wont be surprised if he gets wounded.

but honestly if you dont mind being told what to do and can handle responsibility and moving, military life shouldnt be bad.
going over there EVERYBODY has a good chance of getting wounded. ive got 2 1/2 years of time in theatre without a scratch, and trust me its not for lack of combat or dumb **** on my part. one of my top reasons for not wanting to go back is im not sure how much longer my luck will hold out. please dont confuse want and will here, if they tell me, I go. I swore an oath unto God. lotta guys forget that
Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #17
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

agreed.

and as for a job im not even sure yet.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 AM   #18
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sberk06 View Post
As of now im considering the Marines because if i'm going to be part of something i would want to be part of the best, and imo the marines are the best. My dad was a Sergent in the Marines for about 8 years, i was actually born on a base in Panama on the canal. Don't get me wrong i'm looking into all of the different parts, but the Marines stick out the most. I just think it would be nice knowing, when all is said and done (figuring i'm alive), I was a marine. Idk thats what i tihnk about it.
ahh a legacy, i did that too. tookup tanking because thats what my old man was . best job ever, i really miss those things
Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #19
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

is it true you listen to like rage against the machine type stuff as you blow things up.. i think i saw that in that mike moore documentary..

Quote:
Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #20
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:

I joined because thats all I new and thats what I wanted to do. I wanted to join the Army, but my Mom and Grandpa talked me out of it and both convinced me to join the Air Force. My Mom (Army) is about to retire as a 24 year Master Sgt and my Grandpa (Air Force) is a retired 30 year Chief. I'm glad I joined in general and its been a great 10 years so far. I'll be re-enlisting for another 6 years in August. ;)