TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #41
Vypurr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #58

My Ride:
06' SGM STi / 05' ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr
post here.
Gentleman do what ever it takes to empty our coffers lapdances, champagne dances, shower dances. Oh the things you can buy for a handfull of bills. It makes me excited. It gives me the chills. Thell be filcher rubs, breeders, hambones and tweeners, zobos and debos and blorps that go eenah. for a one dollar bill you can pull down their zippers.
I am the snorlax, I speak for the strippers!
Vypurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #42
awdrev
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #7417

My Ride:
2004 Wrx

56K - THERE'S A LOT OF PICS SO UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR PC TO BE STUCK FOREVER PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO SEE THIS POST

First of all this is a whole HOW TO for a full sound installation in a WRX. I was looking for a CLEAN SOUND with nothing huge, I wasn't lookign to spend a lot and I really wanted to keep a DECENT trunk space. This HOW-TO will include amp rack creation, wiring and just about everything you'd need to know about installation of everything INCLUDING Dynamat.

Electronic List:

* Alpine Amp - MRP-M500
Link
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - MRP-M500

* Alpine Amp - 2/3/4 Way - MRP-F30
Link
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - MRP-F300

* Alpine 12" Subwoofer - SWR-1242D
Link
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - SWR-1242D

* Pioneer - Avic D3
Link
Pioneer USA - In-Dash Navigation

* Rockford Fosgate - 1 Farad Capacitor -
Link
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

* 6-1/2" Type R Alpine Component Set
Link
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - SPR-17C

* 12" Subwoofer Enclosure "Perfect Fit" for WRX
Made by Audio Integrations
Link
02-04 Subaru WRX/STI Sedan 12 Inch Perfect Fit Enclosure

* Lots of cables!

Pics

--------------------------------------------------
The avic D3 install was done months ago, it's really pretty straight through. Make sure you get the harness and your job is a lot easier, to ensure a full connection I actually soldered all the wires to the harness that I bought and everything worked out fine.

AMP RACK:

I originally had intended two boards, kinda like making a "L" shape. However, after cutting down the first board I realized that it's much better to use the METAL BACKBOARD to hold the rack. In addition, I now have access to the spare tire since it was not going to be bolted to the trunk metal blocking the access. I used plywood and the final board was made out of 3/4" MDF. I tried to mount it in a very strong spot. You can see how I bolted it right onto the metal board and it's definitely going no where!

PICS

AMP INSTALLATION DESIGN:

I was picky with how I wanted everything to look. I really liked a symmetric look since there was two amps and I could put the capacitor in the middle of them. Check out the pics for the slow built up of the rack itself. Please note that the rack was actually WRAPPED with "stock" looking carpet. This material I actually bought it from Audio Integrations when I got the enclosure, it was 10 dollars for a yard and now you can see that the trunk will look "stocK" carpeted and I wouldn't have to deal with different colors, etc etc

PICS

INITIAL DRAFT OF THE FINAL OUTCOME

WIRING:
I only used high quality wiring. I had 4 Gauge wires from the battery to the capacitor and at the same time I had 8 Gauge for the amps. If your IQ is positive you can see how I actually ran the wiring, I used a distribution block with 60 AMP fuses to power both amps from a single cable that came out of the capacitor. I grounded the system to bolts in the backseat, it was hard to do but so far the sound is clean with no interruptions and/or distortion. In addition, I made sure to leave enough wiring in everyangle of the installation just in case I ever need to pull something further. All cables should have an extra 6-7 Inches from both ends. All Connections were Soldered and wrapped to ensure a full connection, I hate ****TY JOBS!

PICS

SUB ENCLOSURE AND SUBWOOFER:
The audio integration box was really good. It allowed me to maintain the "stock" look I was looking for and it also fit without any problems. The only problem I ran to was when I couldnt' find the hole in the trunk. It turns out that there wasn't a "BLACK" sticker but it was rather covered with some foam protectant from Subaru's Manufactury, needless to say I was glad I had to do no modifications whatsoever to it so it could fit my trunk. As far as the subwoofer, it's dual coned so it did come with the banana split connectors. Overall the TYPE R is excellent on the sound and the weight for such subwoofer. I took pics of everything, look for the final details in the end pics.

PICS

I CAN'T FIND THE ****ING HOLE PIC!!!!!!

Ah....... now that's where it was....

Speaker Setup / Mounting:
I think this was the biggest pain and I'll explain how I did it.

A) Tweeters: The tweeters that come with the set are amazing, but neither of the mounts that came with the set worked for the doors. I decided to use the "stock" mounts but dump the "stock" tweeters. From Subaru, the tweeters are actually screwed in the back, I couldn't do that with the new ones so I used Industrial Loctite. Please check the pics for more details.

TWEETER CONFIGURATION:

B) Speakers: This was the biggest pain no doubt. First, I bought the "mounting kit" from IAPerformance.
LINK
Subaru speaker adapter plates 6.5 Front Universal Adapter Ring Set-

Subaru 99-06 IA Performance

However, these mounts actually broke 10 minutes after I put the actual speakers on them. Now, their customer service was amazing and offered a free replacements but I just simply didn't trust it. I went old school and bought some MDF to cut. Please check the pics for more details, note that with the 3/4" MDF and the speaker itself, everything clears without a single issue. Oh man I was so relieved =D

After 10 minutes.....

I used the other adaptors as the design for the new MDF cut

C) Crossover Networks: These crossovers were simply mounted into the door covers. They were glued by loctite, check the pics for the separate bottles and how the combinations bonds tightly. I'd highly recommend my choice of location as it does not hit ANYTHING once you assemble the door together again. The sound itself is really good and I'm very pleased.
PICS

DYNAMAT

The material itself is so good. I can't stress how much of a difference Dynamat made when it came to the bass kick. I'd highly highly highly RECOMMEND to at least dynamat the trunk and where the spare tire is. I did the trunk and the front door the best I could, it's actually hard to the the doors so I'd recommend taking your time. Use scissors to cut the material, but in the trunk, there's minimal cuts as you can put a layer down and press down.

PICS

FINAL PICS OF ALL SETUP -

(PLEASE NOTE HOW I ACTUALLY SPRAY PAINTED THE MOUNTS TO HELP WITH THE CORROTION, IT'S HIGHLY RECOMMENDED YOU DON'T LEAVE THE BARE WOOD BY ITSELF WITHOUT ANY

PROTECTION)

And finally....

My hands are still hurting.... but hey, it looks amazing!
Thanks for the input guys! =D

Last edited by awdrev; 05-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.
awdrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #43
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
honestly it would make more sense to have this stuff organized into each of their own threads... like the rest of the forum is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #44
JBWRX06
Tri-State Addict

Member #3377

My Ride:
06' Wrx Stage 2

Send a message via AIM to JBWRX06
Could anyone please help me find a how to install a greddy full auto turbo timer! Thanks John
Old 05-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #45
NickDHdfc20
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13680

My Ride:
2008 Silver WRX

and how to install a perrin turbo inlet hose on an 08
NickDHdfc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #46
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:
WRB 2004 WRX Wagon with 07 STI Trans and Longblock inside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDHdfc20 View Post
and how to install a perrin turbo inlet hose on an 08
It's right on their site dude.....
http://www.perrinperformance.com/sha.../pspint420.pdf

ScoobyNubieToo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #47
NickDHdfc20
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13680

My Ride:
2008 Silver WRX

thanks didnt even think to look at the legacy
NickDHdfc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #48
deadbeatdude
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4193

My Ride:
2006 wrx wagon 18g style

are installing new stuts a pain in the nuts never done struts b4
deadbeatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #49
012.5RS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1071

My Ride:
2001 Stage 4 2.0RS---RIP, 2002 WRX Wagon, 1995 Impreza L

cant believe i never posted these earlier but my recent handling woes made me re read all this. good suspension info.
Modified Mag(Making It Stick)
Part 1
http://www.modified.com/tech/0506_sc...t_1/index.html
Part 2
http://www.modified.com/tech/0507_sc...t_2/index.html
Part 3
http://www.modified.com/tech/0508_sc...t_3/index.html
Part 4
http://www.modified.com/tech/0512_sc...t_4/index.html
Part 5
http://www.modified.com/tech/0512_sc...t_5/index.html
Part 6
http://www.modified.com/tech/0512_sc...t_6/index.html
Old 12-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #50
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
For my own reference and for others':

Brake Fluid Bleeding on a Subaru with ABS

And the order to do it in:

1) Passenger Side Front
2) Driver's Side Rear
3) Driver's Side Front
4) Passenger's Side Rear

If you have STi Brembos or other opposed piston calipers with bleeder valves on the inside and outside of each calander, then do the inside first, then the outside second.

Also, this is an amazing tool for bleeding brakes... makes it fast and easy, and one person can do it all by themselves: Motive Power Bleeder from JSC Speed

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #51
hvymetal86

Member #15657

My Ride:
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeScooby View Post
Secure your rubber tube as it can get damaged by the clutch or rub against the edge of the hole and get cut. I wrapped some electric tape around where it hit the hole and then "temporarily" taped it down.
When I first got my STi, the PO had half assed running the vacuum hose through that same hole and the grommet was long gone and the hose had rubbed a hole in it from the firewall. I thought about wrapping it/taping down, but I think I came up with a better way. I bought the rubber grommet from a Subaru dealer ($1-$2) and new hose from an auto parts store. With a box cutter I carved a hole right in the middle of the grommet. I made the hole just big enough to barely squeeze the vacuum hose through that I disconnected from the back of the boost gauge and slide the grommet down the hose until it was at the spot it should be to fit back into the firewall. Then I just reran the hose up to the gauge. This way it plugs the hole, protects the tube from the edge of the metal, and looks almost stock.

Last edited by hvymetal86; 08-13-2011 at 09:59 PM.
hvymetal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #52
subst06

Member #20660

My Ride:
01 RS. RIP 06 wrx

Mayb someone can help me out. Just bought a 01 RS as wholesale. The person before me did a 06-07 wrx front brake conversion and I need new rotors. Can I use oem RS rotors or do I use wrx rotors.
subst06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #53
IMPREZvWRX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by subst06 View Post
Mayb someone can help me out. Just bought a 01 RS as wholesale. The person before me did a 06-07 wrx front brake conversion and I need new rotors. Can I use oem RS rotors or do I use wrx rotors.
WRX rotors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMPREZvWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #54
subst06

Member #20660

My Ride:
01 RS. RIP 06 wrx

Cook tx
subst06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #55
JoeScooby
Tri-State Addict

Member #345

My Ride:
2004 JPB Subaru WRX Sedan

Send a message via ICQ to JoeScooby Send a message via AIM to JoeScooby
I miss my suby :***********(
2014 Outback
2014 STi Hatch
2013 Yukon SLT
JoeScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #56
012.5RS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1071

My Ride:
2001 Stage 4 2.0RS---RIP, 2002 WRX Wagon, 1995 Impreza L

another good site:
http://www.wrxinfo.com/index.html
Old 08-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #57
COTAJerry
Noob-Jersey

Member #27141

My Ride:
2002 Outback

Tranny problems

I have a 2002 Subaru Outback sitting in my yard because of a teenager. The transmission and front diff case are split open and this happened while he was "just driving it down the road". Anyway long story short is I have to fix it. My transmission code is TZ1A4ZCDBA-RM. I have found a 1998 Forrester with a tranny that has been rebuilt with a code of TZ1A3ZC2AA-P8. I need some help here folks. I would like to be able to swap in this other tranny but do not know for sure if it will work or what I will have to do to make it work. Please help, I'm getting more and more tired of seeing this car sit in my yard, when it was a good car when purchased.
COTAJerry is offline   Reply With Quote