TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Need computer tech help. Bad HDD

Ok, so I have an HP laptop that's about 5 years old or so. One day it just wouldn't fully boot up. Sometimes it would get stuck on the HP boot up screen and sometimes it would just remain a black screen (back lit, but still just black). I was able to access the BIOS and run a hard drive test. The attached image was the result. My question is, is there any chance of saving the data on the hard drive? Like, if I get an enclosure, would I be able to pull anything off of it, or is it just a loss cause and I should trash it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen.jpg (27.2 KB, 29 views)

FRP™ #5
HatchSurfer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

I'm not that hardcore into this stuff... but if your despirate to get the info off there are companies out there that do data recovery from bad drives.

I doubt swapping the enclosuer would make any difference.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
WolfsFang
Tri-State Addict

Member #17214

My Ride:
2013 Scion FRS

You still have a chance to save the data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I'm not that hardcore into this stuff... but if your despirate to get the info off there are companies out there that do data recovery from bad drives.

I doubt swapping the enclosuer would make any difference.
Yea, I don't really feel like paying a bunch of money for it though. Plus I generally don't trust people haha. When I say enclosure, I mean to make it external and try and just pull data from it, not put it in a different comp or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
You still have a chance to save the data.

So you think its worth it to buy an external enclosure and try and recover what I can?

FRP™ #5
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
WolfsFang
Tri-State Addict

Member #17214

My Ride:
2013 Scion FRS

Well I don't know if they have enclosers for 2.5" laptop drives. I have only seen them in 3.5" and ssd. If you do find one buy it, slap the hard drive in and plug it into a different pc. It might not work first put keep trying. If you cant find one you can buy another 2.5" hdd, install windows in it, install it on your laptop (if it allows you to install 2 hdd). Then go to bios and change the boot drive to the new hdd. This would slloe you access the limped hdd.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
Well I don't know if they have enclosers for 2.5" laptop drives. I have only seen them in 3.5" and ssd. If you do find one buy it, slap the hard drive in and plug it into a different pc. It might not work first put keep trying. If you cant find one you can buy another 2.5" hdd, install windows in it, install it on your laptop (if it allows you to install 2 hdd). Then go to bios and change the boot drive to the new hdd. This would slloe you access the limped hdd.

Awesome thank you! They do make them for 2.5" drives. I just didn't want to buy one if there was not point. I'll give that a shot.

FRP™ #5
Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153066

The free route would be (from another computer obviously) download a copy of Bart PE, burn it as a bootable disk (or make it bootable from a USB drive), and get your data back that way. Bart PE is a "Windows Environment" boot utility so it is easy to navigate. You should be able to copy the info you want off the bad HDD very easily this way.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153066

The free route would be (from another computer obviously) download a copy of Bart PE, burn it as a bootable disk (or make it bootable from a USB drive), and get your data back that way. Bart PE is a "Windows Environment" boot utility so it is easy to navigate. You should be able to copy the info you want off the bad HDD very easily this way.
Ah, I should've just spent the money to get that one. I ordered this one instead (before I saw your post): http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=211934983

Hopefully it works though. If not I will definitely try the Bart PE way. There are just a lot of pics and music on there I want to pull off. Would it be worth it to buy a new HD and try and get the laptop back up and running or should I just order a whole new one? It was top of the line 4-5 years ago, but crap advances so fast nowadays. It worked great before the HD went though.

FRP™ #5
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

External enclosure and if it starts failing while you are copying, stick it in the freezer, wait a few hours and run it from inside the freezer (not a joke).

Last edited by AutobahnRacer; 09-26-2012 at 12:38 PM.
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchSurfer3 View Post
Ah, I should've just spent the money to get that one. I ordered this one instead (before I saw your post): http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=211934983

Hopefully it works though. If not I will definitely try the Bart PE way. There are just a lot of pics and music on there I want to pull off. Would it be worth it to buy a new HD and try and get the laptop back up and running or should I just order a whole new one? It was top of the line 4-5 years ago, but crap advances so fast nowadays. It worked great before the HD went though.
Just replace the HDD. No point in spending extra money right now that a 75$ hard drive can easily fix. Try to get a 7200RPM hard drive, or drop some extra cash on 256GB Solid State Drive, and your laptop will not only be more reliable, but also worlds faster.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Quote:
Just replace the HDD. No point in spending extra money right now that a 75$ hard drive can easily fix. Try to get a 7200RPM hard drive, or drop some extra cash on 256GB Solid State Drive, and your laptop will not only be more reliable, but also worlds faster.
He/she still wants the data off regardless.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutobahnRacer View Post
External enclosure and if it starts failing while you are copying, stick it in the freezer, wait a few hours and run it from inside the freezer (not a joke).
Haha really? I can just imagine someone walking in my house while I'm sitting on my kitchen floor with my hdd in my freezer haha.

Quote:
Yea, you're right. That's probably the best route. Thanks

Quote:
True, but I asked if I should just get a new hdd or get a whole new laptop after. He was helping me with that aspect too.

I appreciate all the help guys.

FRP™ #5
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Yes I gave him 2 solutions for getting the data.

I was answering this question in my previous post: "Would it be worth it to buy a new HD and try and get the laptop back up and running or should I just order a whole new one?"
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Quote:
Yes I gave him 2 solutions for getting the data.

I was answering this question in my previous post: "Would it be worth it to buy a new HD and try and get the laptop back up and running or should I just order a whole new one?"

Missed that. Semi-Multi-tasking right now.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchSurfer3 View Post
Haha really? I can just imagine someone walking in my house while I'm sitting on my kitchen floor with my hdd in my freezer haha.

The freezer thing does work if it's not completely shot. It can buy you enough time to copy some data.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
The freezer thing does work if it's not completely shot. It can buy you enough time to copy some data.
Well it depends on what is screwed up with the HDD. If it is the controller board, then no amount of deep freezing will bring it back to life lol. If the platters or the magnets however are the culprits, then making them icy can work pretty good.

When you are done with the crappy hard drive, take that bitch apart and extract the magnets. They are a high powered and lots of fun... At least I think so. Play Frisbee with the plates too lol.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Quote:
Well it depends on what is screwed up with the HDD. If it is the controller board, then no amount of deep freezing will bring it back to life lol. If the platters or the magnets however are the culprits, then making them icy can work pretty good.

When you are done with the crappy hard drive, take that bitch apart and extract the magnets. They are a high powered and lots of fun... At least I think so. Play Frisbee with the plates too lol.
Correct. But really no way of knowing by the screenshot.

Try the external enclosure in the freezer. After that do what Bates said and take it apart, it is quite fun to play with.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Haha well good to know I'll have a toy to play with once i get all the info off! Hopefully it just works right off so I don't have to deal with the freezer or anything else.

This may be a dumb questions, but I've never really dealt to much with comp hardware. It seems the HDD that was in the laptop was just a SATA. Can I replace it with a SATA 2 or 3 without any problems? There's some decent deals on solid state 6Gb/s, but just want to make sure its compatible. Thanks again.

FRP™ #5
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #19
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

A SATA 3 drive will work in any SATA port, it just won't be as fast.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
A SATA 3 drive will work in any SATA port, it just won't be as fast.
Fantastic. As long as it works that's my main concern. Would it be beneficial to find a regular SATA though, or are you saying it just wouldn't be as fast as it could be in a SATA 3 port? You've been a huge help Bates, I really appreciate it.

FRP™ #5