TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Roads closed pizza boy!

The original yellow skyline from the fast and the furious is being crushed.... Oh noes.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...|text|APC-News
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

what a waste of government time...
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Zaior
Tri-State Addict

Member #21850

My Ride:
2000 Toyota Solara SLE

I don't see why are they crushing it. Is it illegal to have possession of the car at all? Or just to drive it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
I would never hit a women, but I would punch a bitch in her mouth.
Zaior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaior View Post
I don't see why are they crushing it. Is it illegal to have possession of the car at all? Or just to drive it?
Vin swapping is serious, and if you get caught doing or have possession of a car that has been vin swapped, you are in deep doo-doo.

He would have been better off if he made them track cars only.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Zaior
Tri-State Addict

Member #21850

My Ride:
2000 Toyota Solara SLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Vin swapping is serious, and if you get caught doing or have possession of a car that has been vin swapped, you are in deep doo-doo.

He would have been better off if he made them track cars only.
Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking. The article said the police felt it was wrong to sell a car that couldn't be driven on the street. I am sure plenty of people would love to buy the cars and just use them as track cars, or keep it as a collection piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
I would never hit a women, but I would punch a bitch in her mouth.
Zaior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

the implication in the article was that they wanted to crush the cars because they didnt want him selling the vehicles to someone else and that they did not believe that he was unaware of the laws regarding the legal nature of those specific vehicles and their missing VIN numbers.

basically, they were worried he was going to attempt to offload his problem on someone less researched than he was.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:
98 Trans Am WS7 | 01 Trans AM WS6 | 03 VW Golf TDI | 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (ZJ)

Send a message via AIM to PAFirefighter11
Sounds like entrapment to me. Stupid California!
Nikon D2x | Canon AE-1 | SB600 | Nikkor Lenses: 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Dakine Sequence | Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod | 3231 Monopod | 486RC2 head | AlienBees B1600 | etc.
FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
wow some of you jeep guys party hard
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Oh well. Off to more important things.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

Kalifornia strikes again. When will that ****hole just detach from the country and float away?
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 =:No, it's not for sale.:=
bl@ckvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ckvr4 View Post
Kalifornia strikes again. When will that ****hole just detach from the country and float away?
Most of us feel the same way about NJ, ironically.
Got Insulin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
Most of us feel the same way about NJ, ironically.
NJ is not great, I'll admit. But Kalifornia is on a whole other level.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Mad Dog Tannen
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #23066

My Ride:
1999 Volvo V70XC

At least I can get a concealed carry permit and use hollow points in Cali. Car laws in Cali ain't that bad and it's just as illegal to swap vin's on cars in NJ. Cali practically invented hot rodding and you can still make your car go fast there, I don't see what your beef is. If you saw how bad the air was in the past especially in LA, you would understand why Cali cares about smog control. I don't see what your beef is. You don't seem to understand what you're talking about.

1999 Volvo V70XC, debadged, full 3" exhaust , 16T turbo, "R" manifold, ARD tune, Rally Armor flaps, Hella lights.

Last edited by Mad Dog Tannen; 05-30-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Mad Dog Tannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen View Post
At least I can get a concealed carry permit and use hollow points in Cali. Car laws in Cali ain't that bad and it's just as illegal to swap vin's on cars in NJ. Cali practically invented hot rodding and you can still make your car go fast there, I don't see what your beef is. If you saw how bad the air was in the past especially in LA, you would understand why Cali cares about smog control. I don't see what your beef is. You don't seem to understand what you're talking about.
As far as I know, Kalifornia is the only state that crushes illegally modified/street racing vehicles. That would definitely make me think twice about pulling over. People would be more tempted to run from police, endangering innocent lives in the process.

Also, automobile manufacturers have to make specific ECUs/ROMs/flashes for vehicles just to be Cali compliant. How can you say that Cali's car laws "ain't that bad," when it has come to a point as rediculous as that?

CCW permits are the only upside really. Even though they're damn near impossible to get in Cali. Jersey is the same way. Hollow points are great, but in most encounters whenever you have to draw and (god forbid) use your firearm, an FMJ will be just as effective. No one is just gonna brush off getting shot with anything, be it an FMJ, a hollow point, whatever. Also, don't forget Cali has even stricter magazine capacity limits than PRNJ.

Last edited by bl@ckvr4; 05-30-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:
98 Trans Am WS7 | 01 Trans AM WS6 | 03 VW Golf TDI | 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (ZJ)

Send a message via AIM to PAFirefighter11
Quote:
It's still near impossible to obtain a permit in California, New Jersey, New York, etc. You can't even open carry legally in California, loaded or unloaded without a permit. Even with a permit in CA you can lose it by open carrying (Similar to the crap that happens here in PA from time to time). Obviously, here in PA you do not need a license to openly carry your firearm (I'm not a lawyer).
Nikon D2x | Canon AE-1 | SB600 | Nikkor Lenses: 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Dakine Sequence | Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod | 3231 Monopod | 486RC2 head | AlienBees B1600 | etc.
FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
wow some of you jeep guys party hard
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
PrideNas
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16452

My Ride:
Nissan Skyline GTR R33

For everyone saying California.... This is in De Pere, Wisconsin not California..... Vin Tampering is a FEDERAL offense, and an actual federal law that all states (as far as i know) follow.

It's a shame but this guy should have just left his tags on. Wouldn't it have been smart to at least put them back on before listing the car for sale?
PrideNas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Quote:
As far as I know, Kalifornia is the only state that crushes illegally modified/street racing vehicles. That would definitely make me think twice about pulling over. People would be more tempted to run from police, endangering innocent lives in the process.

Also, automobile manufacturers have to make specific ECUs/ROMs/flashes for vehicles just to be Cali compliant. How can you say that Cali's car laws "ain't that bad," when it has come to a point as rediculous as that?

CCW permits are the only upside really. Even though they're damn near impossible to get in Cali. Jersey is the same way. Hollow points are great, but in most encounters whenever you have to draw and (god forbid) use your firearm, an FMJ will be just as effective. No one is just gonna brush off getting shot with anything, be it an FMJ, a hollow point, whatever. Also, don't forget Cali has even stricter magazine capacity limits than PRNJ.
Unless your a zombie hopped up on bath salt!
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
You don't seem to understand what your're talking about.... I don't know too many people who build serious cars that can pass CA smog testing.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
PrideNas
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16452

My Ride:
Nissan Skyline GTR R33

Let me make a correction to my statement above. He never removed the vins according to Jalopnik.

"When he bought his first Skyline, Beno said he had it inspected by a state trooper to ensure its legitimacy. But by the time he'd purchased the second one, the state had changed its position — on both cars. Beno had acquired both Skyline shells WITHOUT their legally required VIN tags, and although he claims he wasn't aware he had done anything wrong, the Brown County district attorney's office seemed convinced that he had knowingly tried to dodge state and federal regulatory requirements."

So the state flip flopped it's decision without giving the guy a chance to do anything about it.
PrideNas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
Unless your a zombie hopped up on bath salt!
Haha. I said MOST encounters. But yes. In that situation, give me a magazine of hollow points. Lol
Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
clubken
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13951

My Ride:
VW hatch with a peanut sized turbo

Send a message via AIM to clubken
Quote:
All 2010 or newer GTIs sold in PA come with CBFA engine code 2.0t motors. They're the same standards as Cali cars. I believe most of the Tri-State is required to sell them, unless they're selling used car. I got lucky and bought a CPO'd car in PA that was originally sold in the south so I don't have the extra emissions crap.