TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #41
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Picture time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 12-25-2009 at 05:37 PM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #42
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

A few things from the pictures...

Mobil 1? Really? I wonder if the 4B11T will spin bearings like the STi does on that stuff?

Think there's enough heat shielding for that turbo? Should be interesting to see how large of a turbo fits back there for the Evo drag warrior crowd.

That keyfob is the FAST system. I'm still trying to figure it out, but basically you keep it in your pocket and you can open the doors and turn on the car and drive without physically doing anything. It's pretty damn cool.

The Navigation/MM system is unbelievable...it does everything! I can even watch DVDs and rip CDs on it! It also has the 6 disc changer upgrade too so I can store more than 1 disc in it.

The iPod plug in is just an aux port, but from what I can see, it requires a white and red L+R audio connector to plug in, not just a standard headphone jack port, which is kind of neat.

That warning label is on the drivers side door, I guess to warn guys that they aren't Superman.

Average fuel economy after 30 some miles? 15.2 mpg...piggy is running rich.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #43
jjm4life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4443

My Ride:
jew canoe

Send a message via AIM to jjm4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post

Back in 2005, the Subaru was the better car, the Evo was the better performer. These days, the Evo is both (2008+ models only).
fair assessment.

welcome to the dark side.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #44
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

Send a message via MSN to 06evors
Quote:

Mobil 1? Really? I wonder if the 4B11T will spin bearings like the STi does on that stuff?

That keyfob is the FAST system. I'm still trying to figure it out, but basically you keep it in your pocket and you can open the doors and turn on the car and drive without physically doing anything. It's pretty damn cool.

The Navigation/MM system is unbelievable...it does everything! I can even watch DVDs and rip CDs on it! It also has the 6 disc changer upgrade too so I can store more than 1 disc in it.

Some ppl bitched that the ripping feature is too slow. My car didn't come with a radio so they're grasping at straws on that...

The iPod plug in is just an aux port, but from what I can see, it requires a white and red L+R audio connector to plug in, not just a standard headphone jack port, which is kind of neat.

That warning label is on the drivers side door, I guess to warn guys that they aren't Superman.

-I've used it on my car from day one and spun the 4G to 9k at the track plenty of times so your ok there.

-There have been failures with Fast Key but everyone I read about was warrantied.

-Some ppl bitched that the ripping feature is too slow. My car didn't come with a radio so they're grasping at straws on that...

-Awesome.

-Someone will manage to sue MMNA.

-These engines like the 4G and probably the sti motor run pig rich from the factory hence the stage 1 stock map referal that cures it.
06evors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #45
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Quote:

Think there's enough heat shielding for that turbo? Should be interesting to see how large of a turbo fits back there for the Evo drag warrior crowd.

When people ask you where your key is you get to say "yeah, it feels the love."

If you need one of these let me know. I have a spare.

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #46
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06evors View Post
-I've used it on my car from day one and spun the 4G to 9k at the track plenty of times so your ok there.

-There have been failures with Fast Key but everyone I read about was warrantied.

-Some ppl bitched that the ripping feature is too slow. My car didn't come with a radio so they're grasping at straws on that...

-Awesome.

-Someone will manage to sue MMNA.

-These engines like the 4G and probably the sti motor run pig rich from the factory hence the stage 1 stock map referal that cures it.
Cool deal!! thanks for replying

I'll go stage 1 eventually with a new Cobb AP, I imagine. Suspension-wise, I am completely satisfied and in awe of what the car does stock. I think it would outhandle my STi...

The FAST key is cool as ****, haha.

The ripping feature is fast enough, I mean its never going to be instant. I think it took 5 minutes for an entire CD to be copied while it was playing?

One thing I noticed is that when the Nav voice comes on over the stereo, sound from the music gets cut down and muffled at the tweeters in the doors. I don't mind it, but found it interesting...I wonder if the Nav reserves a certain sound frequency range from the stereo to do it. It then cuts back to sounding normal after the voice is finished. Really slick interface.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #47
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest_Bob View Post
When people ask you where your key is you get to say "yeah, it feels the love."

If you need one of these let me know. I have a spare.
hahaha i'll have to do that

sweet! yes, that's exactly what i need too. i went to wally world and they didn't have one surprisingly.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #48
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
nice, cant say I've seen a blue one in person. looks awesome!

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #49
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

First mod ordered...2" Perrin Stubby antenna to get rid of the R/C car look. Yep, that's right....lots of horsepower coming from this one.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #50
Turbo_CitrusEs
Tri-State Addict

Member #660

Send a message via AIM to Turbo_CitrusEs
Nice car, awesome color. Kelly mitsu does offer awesome freaking deals. I gotta admit, thats where i picked up my 03 lancer, $10,000 out the door. Im sure your aware, but I would say check out www.evolutionm.net There is a ton of good info on that site.
But like a fat bitch that is going out with her fist pumping girlfriends, she's going to take a long drink from a bottle filled with denial and try to squeeze in a size 6 when she's really a 16 and act like she's the baddest bitch on the block. So believe what you want Jersey peeps. Cause when you leave your state and people ask you where you are from, we all know you want to lie cause secretly you are embarrassed by how much it sucks.
Turbo_CitrusEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #51
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

First highway drive with the car today...averaged 22mpg. I had the nav display the instant mpg and at points the car was hitting 40mpg at 80mph haha. i'm getting ~2mpg less than my STi got, but its pretty even vs. the stock STi tune. About to fill it up with some fresh 93. Damn, I love the new car smell.

Driving impressions: German ride quality over everything but the worst bumps when I think the car is using its full strut travel. A fresh set of Bilsteins and Eibach springs from the MR may find its way onto my car in the future, but the stock KYBs are correctly damped and valved, so its really not worth upgrading right now. Spring rate provides enough of an effective wheel rate to keep the car flat during cornering up to 80mph...didn't have the sack to go higher yet due to the roads not being clear enough.

You can feel the heavier weight of the car vs. my old STi, but where the STi would start to give up traction in the front, the Evo wants to get the rear into line with the steering wheel.

The stock exhaust is barely audible inside the car until 4.5k-5k rpms. Very silent interior, no creaks or rattles (yet) and the dash materials, etc. just exude a higher level of quality than whats been in these cars in the past. Gauges look awesome, everything is visible through the steering wheel (no blocked gauges, etc.)

Stereo is the best sounding OEM unit I've heard that I can remember. Can get muddy if you bump up the mids, but its RF, not something crazy aftermarket.

Steering rack is 13:8:1 and it shows immediately by doing a great job of turn in that rivals my old STi on the 27mm front swaybar. I'm hooked...its not too light either, has good weight to it, better than my STi.

Brakes are big Brembos...enough said there.

Transmission is notchy going into 3rd, but its a Mitsu trans so I expected that. As long as it holds power, I'm happy.

Power of the twin scroll stock turbo could be higher, but the response/boost threshold is damn impressive. I'm getting response in every gear right around 3k rpms.

Still feels like I'm dreaming when I drive this car. I honestly am struggling to find something to improve on.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #52
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_CitrusEs View Post
Nice car, awesome color. Kelly mitsu does offer awesome freaking deals. I gotta admit, thats where i picked up my 03 lancer, $10,000 out the door. Im sure your aware, but I would say check out www.evolutionm.net There is a ton of good info on that site.
Thanks man, I've been surfing there for awhile now along with evoxforums.com and just recently joined tristateevo too.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #53
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

Quote:
Transmission is notchy going into 3rd, but its a Mitsu trans so I expected that. As long as it holds power, I'm happy.
Shifter Bushings? Helped a ton on my car.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #54
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Quote:
hahaha i'll have to do that

sweet! yes, that's exactly what i need too. i went to wally world and they didn't have one surprisingly.
Stop by the applebees meet on Wed. I want to see this car, you can have the cable.

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #55
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest_Bob View Post
Stop by the applebees meet on Wed. I want to see this car, you can have the cable.
Sounds like a plan to me.

Car is dirty already! I've gotta wash it, but its kind of overcast out...

Black interior shows all kinds of dirt...gotta vacuum it out too, haha.

Still absolutely love this car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #56
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Shifter Bushings? Helped a ton on my car.
do they make them in poly instead of metal? I don't want to undo the nice interior quietness by throwing solid mounts at the car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #57
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

Quote:
do they make them in poly instead of metal? I don't want to undo the nice interior quietness by throwing solid mounts at the car.
Not sure. I have aluminum (sp?) ones from Buschur. They didn't transfer any noise into the cabin. I have kartboy bushings for the shifter base and they're urethane.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #58
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Not sure. I have aluminum (sp?) ones from Buschur. They didn't transfer any noise into the cabin. I have kartboy bushings for the shifter base and they're urethane.
that's good to know, thanks!

so the buschur bushings cut down on the notchiness?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #59
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

Quote:
that's good to know, thanks!

so the buschur bushings cut down on the notchiness?
Well I got my TC rebuilt by ShepTrans and filled both the trans and TC with redline fluids. It's only notchy when it's bitter cold outside. The bushings cut down on that and improved the feel overall. It's a cheap mod and I'm cheap so it worked for me.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #60
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ah ok...cool...I'll have to wait and see on that one. I'm not gun shy about modding the car, but I don't do mods just to do them. I'm seriously having a very, very, very hard time figuring out what this car needs. I got to take it through my country road test course tonight...I matched my full-suspension STi all over the place with a lot less drama with the steering wheel and a lot more comfort. The Evo is just so smooth and ****ing fast in the turns. It reacts perfectly to my inputs and just keeps asking for more power and to go faster mid turn, haha. I'm in complete amazement that a stock Evo X could compete/beat my T2-equipped STi. I really do think its faster in the turns by a good margin!

/
/
/
/
/