TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Welcome > TST Forum Info and Feedback
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #41
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
i'm not asking anyone to click any of the ads... if you want to go for it, if you dont then dont. what i'd like to know is what reasoning do you have in particular for being ultra-negative? unless you're joking, you're missing the bigger picture here...
thanks to those who are being flexible and understanding though, it is appreciated
I guess I am sorta joking cause it doesnt bother me that much....other then the fact that there has to be another way to make it less intrusive. All I am doing is voicing an opinion----the reason the forum was created in the first place. Theree are plenty of other forums who are much larger that dont require such a wild change to pay for the site.

So i guess heres where my emotion comes from

1) car of the week was ditched in lieu of some stupid ads
2) other bigger sites can manage without having every forum subsection littered with bull**** ads
3) Profit is being made off an informational site. Its not like I am paying for a service. I feel like i am being exploited...
4) NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE DUMB **** IN THE ADS
5) We all contribute to the site by hosting/putting on events/meets and support the "tuner economy" through the for sale section. We dont ask for anything back. I never asked for compensation for putting on the ultimate street car challenge....
Old 01-19-2007, 10:51 PM   #42
adamkob32
Tri-State Addict

Member #911

My Ride:
Anything With 4 Wheels

I think that bar that's on the left is much better suited to be on the right side of the page instead. THat's usually where it is. It's just weird on the other side lol.

--Adam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBL ID - Radical Knob

"Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers"
adamkob32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #43
Shri2222
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2926

My Ride:
78 Datsun 280z 11 Chevy Cruze

Send a message via AIM to Shri2222 Send a message via MSN to Shri2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
if the ads are needed to pay for the site thats cool, but put them at the top or bottom of the page, not on the side... makes the page look squished...
agreed and i think direct sponsor/ad links should be better defined then the google ads.
Shri2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #44
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Like troll said this site isnt free for him. He is paying money from his pocket (or so I assume) to keep it up and running. Im broke lately with how slow the shop has been but I'd still be willing to throw a few bucks towards the forum to get rid of the ads, or just help out and what not. Now im not real down with anyone making money or getting rich off me either. But I also don't think Bryan should have to pay for everything so D can post every 5 minutes. Or so cleanneon can make an ass of himself atleast once a day.

Come on guys be supportive of TST and help it grow, and if you don't feel that way, get the **** out.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #45
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
This is great news !

Wait, no it isn't. Booo!

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:35 PM   #46
adamkob32
Tri-State Addict

Member #911

My Ride:
Anything With 4 Wheels

Now that is much better up there. :D

--Adam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBL ID - Radical Knob

"Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers"
adamkob32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #47
SUB2.5RS
Tri-State Addict

Member #697

My Ride:
2.5RS , 89 Supra turbo , 93 240SX coupe (SOLD), 96 Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh View Post
Like troll said this site isnt free for him. He is paying money from his pocket (or so I assume) to keep it up and running. Im broke lately with how slow the shop has been but I'd still be willing to throw a few bucks towards the forum to get rid of the ads, or just help out and what not. Now im not real down with anyone making money or getting rich off me either. But I also don't think Bryan should have to pay for everything so D can post every 5 minutes. Or so cleanneon can make an ass of himself atleast once a day.

Come on guys be supportive of TST and help it grow, and if you don't feel that way, get the **** out.
I dont know the whole story on the money thing, but dont the vendors pay money to be a vendor. He shouldn't pay for it all himself but were not the ones that started this thing, not being a jerk but thats how it is. And it wasnt getting annoying until i saw it for the 3rd time. It was fine the way it was back when I first joined. Nice and simple. Another thing what kind of support are we talking about. Not giving an honest feedback?

Last edited by SUB2.5RS; 01-19-2007 at 11:50 PM.
SUB2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #48
2drStunner
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2009

My Ride:
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T and 2008 Honda CBR1000rr

Send a message via AIM to 2drStunner
man this really sucks! I wouldnt have probelm with a few ads but damn! There everywhere!

If theres thousands of people on this site, like we all know there are! Charge everyone a dollar and that should help out! lol

I mean come on guys lets do something this stinks!
you're car looks so deliciously good possibly better then the cereal i'm about to eat.
2drStunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:53 PM   #49
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetEG View Post
3) Profit is being made off an informational site. Its not like I am paying for a service. I feel like i am being exploited...

wow
i wanna see you buy a domain name and then pay monthly for the terebytes of data transfer a month.
then let me know when you've had it after a couple years.

I know one of the sites i belong to costs WAAAYY too much and people we mad when ads showed up. When one single person paid over $24,000 in hosting just for a site for a year, you gotta be thankful
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:04 AM   #50
drew
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2617

My Ride:
fuzion & exploder

Send a message via AIM to drew
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetEG View Post
yo man I think you're under estimating the cost of keeping a site like this up, not only does he have to pay for hosting and the domain but the vb license itself is costly. i doubt troll makes anything off of the site, he's probably paying a decent chunk out of pocket for us to enjoy the site

drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #51
Will@TurboTek
Former Vendor

Member #2536

My Ride:
2004 SRT-4 & 2006 STi

I see no problem with a reasonable number of Google ads, hell, I will even click them for you when i get bored!

I remember the old site used to have contests where you could buy a raffle ticket and the winner would get a private photo session. There are more than enough photographers on here who would be willing to make this happen again!

And I know that vendor fees must go towards the bills, but I guess that we all just talk too much and its costing more than the vendor fees! lol
Will@TurboTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #52
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

wow.. some of you need to pull the wedgie your panties have created.. it's just a few ads. I'll admit, the side one bothered me.. but obviously.. it's not there anymore.

Chill out, people... Bryan does a lot for us to have this site, and enjoy it.

P.S. - Bry.. don't exploit StreetEG too much now....
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #53
BlackBulletTSi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #224

My Ride:
99 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to BlackBulletTSi
guys sorry for the crazyness for the ads but were still working on defining the entire layout. I know a bunch were thrown in your face but thats what happened when the system was installed. as you can see now theres basically only like 3 google ads. Vendors no need to worry they do not show up in your threads. We of course always appreciate your support, we hope to have found a nice balance.

New DJ community being built,
COMING SOON!!
BlackBulletTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #54
wrx_snobordr
Tri-State Addict

Member #21

The only thing I have a problem with is the placement of some of the ads. Banner ads are fine, but the ads placed between the first and second post in every thread and the sponsored links threads are annoying. I personally feel that if fees have increased this should mostly passed onto vendors. They are here because of all of us, we are all potential customers.

However, I am a fan of money as I'm sure most everyone else on here is. SO really, I cant fault Bryan for what hes doing. I have no idea if he is making a profit, I hope he is. I also hope it is distributed amongst all the mods for keeping this place free of tons of trash.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #55
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_snobordr View Post
The only thing I have a problem with is the placement of some of the ads. Banner ads are fine, but the ads placed between the first and second post in every thread and the sponsored links threads are annoying. I personally feel that if fees have increased this should mostly passed onto vendors. They are here because of all of us, we are all potential customers.

However, I am a fan of money as I'm sure most everyone else on here is. SO really, I cant fault Bryan for what hes doing. I have no idea if he is making a profit, I hope he is. I also hope it is distributed amongst all the mods for keeping this place free of tons of trash.
Exactly, and it's really no ones business if Bryan made profit, or not. If anyone doesn't like the fact of "potential profit", or say "why don't we just leave?".. then do it.. click log out, clear your history and cookies.. and don't come back.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:27 AM   #56
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
To Will, and anyone else else...

Just to explain how Google ads work, they can be very helpful to generate funds for a site but Google also has rules in place in order to maintain the quality of advertising that they do. Because Google monitors their ad program so closely, please avoid fraudulent clicks by only clicking on an advertisement if you are genuinely interested in it. Thanks!

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|

Last edited by TROLL; 01-20-2007 at 12:29 AM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #57
PotenzaSub
Tri-State Addict

Member #2213

Lol. I don't see any ads. When i first got Firefox I modded it so that ads wouldn't show. They still load onto my computer, but they don't show up. If anyone wants to know how to do this just let me know. (I'm trying to figure out how to prevent them from even loading onto my computer.)

Last edited by PotenzaSub; 01-20-2007 at 12:38 AM.
PotenzaSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #58
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

I understand that the site needs to be paid for somehow, that being said premium membership option ftw. Why not open a thread to see who would be willing to sign up and pay for that type of thing and what might be offered with it (decoder rings, pins, secret handshake lol).
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:58 AM   #59
italianblaze
Tri-State Addict

Member #2973

My Ride:
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew XLT 5.4

Send a message via AIM to italianblaze
troll you should set up a donation thing so people can donate to stop the ads i dont mind them as long as you dont have popups or slow ass loading time
im sure plenty of people would donate including myself!

91 Laser Rs-T Build - on the back burner

italianblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:29 AM   #60
gary
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1638

My Ride:
2004 Hyundai Tiburon

Send a message via AIM to gary
I wasn't going to reply to this but all of this has me questioning some things:

1. The vendors on here pay approximately $25/mo x 24 vendors =$600/mo
I understand hosting costs are expensive since that is what I do for a living but for $600/mo my company would get you 1 kick ass web server or 1 web server and 1 db backend. This all comes with 140G of bandwidth and 24/7 support with management. I am not sure what you are paying but according to my calculations you should be banking at least $200 a month or so.

2. Do you actually make that much money off Google ads? I ran a community website with approximately 10k forum users and only brought in less than $50 a month. Is it worth the clutter for the money? Maybe it is.

These are just questions and I am not bashing your decisions in any way, just wanted to know?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote