TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #61
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
They've figured the trans as a weakness point already? Didn't the car just come out? That's amazing!

Geez...Mazda sounds great. Not jealous over here, nope....not jealous at all.
I have a version 5 transmission in my car, the '16s had version 1/2, and everybody autocrossing a v1 or v2 blew them up, lol
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #62
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I have a version 5 transmission in my car, the '16s had version 1/2, and everybody autocrossing a v1 or v2 blew them up, lol
5 versions in the ND alone? Woah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #63
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
5 versions in the ND alone? Woah
Yeah, good times.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #64
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Yeah, good times.
In contrast, GM has had shudder problems with their 8 speed automatic since 2014 and they continue to recommend to customers that they change the fluid.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #65
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ford's power**** transmissions, lol
Old 03-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #66
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

DocWalt came down to Richmond Raceway today to run with the VMSC. They've changed parking lots for this season, going to a much larger layout from the pothole ridden POS that I wrecked in last year. The only problem is that this new lot may just be even more bumpy than the old one!

That didn't stop DocWalt from battling with the local hot shoe for most of the day and holding the FTD for the majority of the run group until the very last run, when the Porsche nipped him within a tenth of his best time. Pretty damn exciting and super quick driving - most cars were 2 seconds or more off of his pace.

So he came down to Richmond and laid waste to nearly everyone in his run group, beating some by almost 6 seconds. Pretty damn incredible to watch.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #67
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
DocWalt came down to Richmond Raceway today to run with the VMSC. They've changed parking lots for this season, going to a much larger layout from the pothole ridden POS that I wrecked in last year. The only problem is that this new lot may just be even more bumpy than the old one!

That didn't stop DocWalt from battling with the local hot shoe for most of the day and holding the FTD for the majority of the run group until the very last run, when the Porsche nipped him within a tenth of his best time. Pretty damn exciting and super quick driving - most cars were 2 seconds or more off of his pace.

So he came down to Richmond and laid waste to nearly everyone in his run group, beating some by almost 6 seconds. Pretty damn incredible to watch.
Hmmmm... I think this Docwalt guy might know how to drive. Nothing better than battling a Porsche with a nearly stock Miata .

Miata vs Porsche = The answer is always Miata!

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #68
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Haha, thanks for the write up Dave! I've got video to go with it. Possibly the bumpiest, grittiest, roughest surface I've ever driven on. A Miata shouldn't get wheel spin in the middle of 2nd gear, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwJTNFY_qm4
Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #69
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The meatier autocross tires really fill out the wheel wells much better

Important mileage milestone, haha

Gridded up next to a really rare car!

Got a nice pic of my car behind said Porsche

PAX results:

Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #70
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Those tires look great on there! I need to attend an autox..... one of these days. I'm sure it's a blast to be competitive!
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #71
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I finished 3rd in class at the Charlotte Champ Tour and 15th overall on PAX index. Not a bad result. The car felt REALLY good.

See my videos below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJWnGu1pL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHefma14m8

My codriver's videos as well (he finished 6th in class on the back of a sloppy day 2 performance after a solid day 1):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTPZqXYnfCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E02otOIYOIM

My car is currently in pieces ready to go to a body shop however (entirely unrelated to the autocross, thankfully). Unfortunately the entire trip pretty much sucked from start to finish. I'll share more details later.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #72
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

That sucker looks quick. Seems really well balanced. Definitely a good result.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 03-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #73
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I went over to the dragon after Charlotte and met up with a friend and his friend. Some assclowns tore past Killboy store/Deals Gap at 80 mph with the sheriffs there eating lunch witnessing it. We left shortly after to head out. Our first pass together was at a relaxed pace, me having never been there before and all. We caught some morons going slow while using the entire road. One of said morons decided to stop dead after a blind corner to build a gap to the cars ahead and accordion effect and I got smashed into my buddy's car by his friend. The guy behind me had ZERO chance to stop. Hell, I barely stopped before hitting my buddy in the first place... None of us were hurt, it's just an enormous PITA.

Depressing as **** de-modding a car to go to the body shop. The remote canisters were mounted literally right where the car is all smashed up but didn't get damaged thankfully.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #74
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Man..... that is so incredibly frustrating. Your car suffers all because someone else thought they were the only person on the road.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #75
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Is that frame damage?

I am always amazed at people and there selfish attitudes that endanger others. Problem is that guy will get away without any consequences while you and your buddy end up paying.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #76
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeah, the rear frame rails are bent.

Some people really really suck at life
Old 03-28-2019, 11:07 PM   #77
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Old 03-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #78
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Oh man that really really sucks. I’m sorry dude

When will you find out what the damage verdict will be?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #79
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Initial estimate was $4k, at the body shop now getting taken apart to get the estimate updated and start on repairs.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #80
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Finally have the car back and re-prepped it last night