TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:
92 BMW 525, 95 BMW 525, 87 BMW 325, 95 BMW 530

Send a message via AIM to SoStock92
Project dash restoration!

So this morning I woke up - I had purchased VHT vinyl dye about 3 months ago. I told myself that while I am looking for a job I will take my dashboard out and dye it black because the tan one was (ugly) sunburned around the gauge cluster which was detracting from my cars overall appearance. I want to do the whole car black with tan door inserts, but let's take baby steps.

Originally, for whatever reason, and I might be yet to find out, BMW tucked all the wiring harness that goes from the left side to the right side of the car up inside the dashboard, wrapping around all the air ducts and wire tied between 10 - 20 times throughout. I relocated all the wiring so that it now sits UNDER the air ducts - I figure if the air ducts fit over the wiring comfortably, and the dash fits over the air ducts, there's no reason the wiring cannot be down there. I guess during assembly BMW does things in another order that makes their method better, but if I tried to put it back together the way it came out, I'd have to first tie all the wiring to the dashboard about 10" of length, then try and keep the wiring up as I insert the dash. NOT FUN.

So now that I have it out, I cleaned it with simple green and a rag, let it air dry a couple mins, and had at it with the VHT dye. The one thing I will say - I wish VHT used those spray cans that have that feathering/fan spray pattern because I have used those to spray primer on wheels before and they are SO smooth. I did not have any issue with the cans/nozzles VHT uses, but I just hate the typical spray paint tip because if you let the can go too low, you start to get some aerosol bursts with the medium. Anyway, I didn't let the cans run too low while doing this because of that experience, so I prob about about 1/10th left in each can. I will use it on parts that aren't in plain sight - unlike a dashboard!

So here it is, after 2 coats of spray.

I am letting it try for probably about 6 hrs before putting it back in. I won't attempt to clean it or anything until a couple days from now.

I'll have to see if I have any other pics, but if you look in this pic you can see discoloration on the dash in front of the gauge cluster:

Hard to see, but the flat portion of the dash at the windshield and such had very prevalent sun burn. Big maybe 2.5 - 3" splotches of black. Thought it was mold at first and was like "WTF!" then realized its burns probably due to the convex of the windshield perhaps it rectifies the sun, dunno.
SoStock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Gorilla Unit 33
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #532

My Ride:
Fly Mosca II w/pegs LOLZ

Send a message via AIM to Gorilla Unit 33
nice looks good. where did you order the dye from? ive tried to look for this in stores but never could find it
Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:
92 BMW 525, 95 BMW 525, 87 BMW 325, 95 BMW 530

Send a message via AIM to SoStock92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Unit 33 View Post
nice looks good. where did you order the dye from? ive tried to look for this in stores but never could find it
Ok guys its done. My wire tuck behind the dash made installation WAY easier than removal. Its a very clean wiring job behind the dash which leaves more room and space if I have to run more switches for anything at a later date, etc. All I have left to do is install the gauge cluster again but I am waiting til tomorrow night because the dye has to cure. I know for sure if I tried to squeeze the gauges in there, since its a tight fit, it will mess up the finish on the dash right now. Other than a spot on the passenger end (can't see it with the door closed, its literally on the side of the dash) the size of a BB that I need to touch up, I would call this job perfect. I hope it lasts, as it's not very fun to do. I have heard people have good outcome with this stuff so let's find out.

I got the dye from Summitracing.com

You can see above that the top vent doesn't fit the dash well - its a BMW thing, as these models get old the dash warps.

I spent about 30 mins w/ heatgun and reshaped it, now look:

Last edited by SoStock92; 07-03-2007 at 07:05 PM.
SoStock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Turbo s60R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2794

My Ride:
2009 Ford Focus coupe se

Send a message via AIM to Turbo s60R
looks good man
Turbo s60R is offline   Reply With Quote