TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
dt98gsr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2949

My Ride:
'98 Integra GSR (Gone) '07 Si Coupe (Daily) '08 s2000 (New Project!)

Send a message via AIM to dt98gsr
NJ Aftermarket HID Retrofit and PnP Laws and Regulations

Well I have spent some time doing research on retrofits and PnP HID kits for my '98 Integra but soon after I decided I really wanted to go ahead with a retro fit but I then questioned what the laws were about them in NJ.

After doing some reading doing many searches I have come up with no conrete answers as to what the laws are regarding aftermarket lighting whether it be a PnP "kit" or a Retro fit.

I would really like to find an answer to this question because if any type of aftermarket HID's are indeed illegal then I would simply prefer to go with a plug and play kit and not have to do a retrofit and purchase a second set of OEM headlights simply to pass insepction.

I have done plenty of reaserch on Retro fits and there benefits over PnP kits but I simply don't want to invest that much time and money into a retrofit if I am going to have to purchase a secondary set of OEM headlights simply to pass inspection.

Can anyone offer me some information on the laws and regulations. I have heard many different things. I have heard that laws vary from state to state or county to county, and I ahve also heard that the laws are the same in every US state.

Helpful Thread on HIDPlanet.com

Read tlordon's post towards the bottom of the linked thread. If this information is true I will definitely be doing a retrofit for the spring! (BTW let me know if the link doesn't work and I can just copy and paste his post here)

Thanks for any help in advance.

-Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dt98gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
dt98gsr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2949

My Ride:
'98 Integra GSR (Gone) '07 Si Coupe (Daily) '08 s2000 (New Project!)

Send a message via AIM to dt98gsr
I just found out the link isn't working. Instead of repairing it I am just gonna post a quote of the thread on HIDplanet.com.

Here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlordon
LOL

This jumps around kinda live with it…

The law states as of current if you install a dot ece approved projector or reflector and a d2s or d2r bulb you are good... auto level is not required by dot like it is in euro

The bulb and projector or reflector have to be rated as d2r or d2s approved... if it is or you took the projector or reflector off a d2s or d2r car and u use d2s or d2r bulb then you are good..

Its when you take a modified or rebased bulb and install in non d2s d2r system...(halgen is NOT desinged for HID not even H3 projectors or hellas 90mm H9, h7 projector even if you can properly modify it as its not dot ece approved for d2s xenon)

The ballast no laws about that... but basically if you don’t have a d2s/d2r socket on there they can and will say you have a illegal setup as no legal setup would need any other connector as those (as of today’s mfr bulbs)

I think of it this way if I a cop pulls me over and starts giving me sh*t about headlights I would say. Now mind you this speaks for my setup change what’s needed for your setup

#1 tell the officer upfront that you have some info you would really appreciate him/her looking over before he/she issues citation, if your nice before you show them that they wont think your being a smart a$$ just that your covering your a$$.

#2 here is a current copy of the DOT code, a current flyer from the motor vehicle lighting counsel (who basically writes the lighting laws from what I hear)

#2 look at photos of my projector, bulb, ballast before install and showing part numbers... of each and pictures of a bmw e class headlight showing same projector... go into a bmw dealership get a qoute with the headlight part number on it, then take a photo of a e55 headlight torn apart. Showing part number on headlight and projector... (This proves your projector is dot approved)

#3 documents
make sure what papers you have in your car are only copies so if the LEO takes them you still can fight in court and make sure you say nicely that you have copies it keeps them honest..
Yes I will be keeping all this in my car when I put my new bi-xenon setup in.

#4 tell the officer that the reason you have these is you try to be legal but knew that allot of people aren’t fully understanding the current statute (LAW)

#5 this should never happen as long as you do the above.

#6 if they still say your illegal ask for your citation nicely inform them you will be having your car towed and get it towed home until you go to court... some cops will just have others pull you over one after another.... like 5 tickets before you get home for same thing differnt officers. and they might say it’s a hazard to others and just say “PUNK where impounding this RICEY thing!!!!” they can and will if your being smarty….all they have to say is while having you pulled over another officer came from an oncoming direction and got blinded by your headlights, that alone makes a car unsafe (against dot lighting) for travel on U.S. Roads.

#7 go into court with exactly what you showed the officer.
Ask the judge to verify that the documents are up to date.
And if you can get an e class headlight with or without the projector as you have pictures of that style projector being in there. This Just gives the judge the hands,
It also will have the headlight part number matching bmw dealer’s quote. And then the pics show that projector in there, also take one of your headlights into court and show the judge the projector being the same style..
If that fails im sorry someone upstairs doesn’t like you……

#8 someday someone with an illegal setup is going to cause an accident at night that will be witnessed by a camera or cause several cars to pile up. And that person will get there A$$ sued off because there setup blinded someone… then it will all go to heII
This is why they have sharp cutoffs well sharp compared to halogen... even reflector d2r has a cutoff...

But as long as you use approved equipment and have all that stuff showing you’re up to code you will or at least not be liable in the end...

one last point from what i understand if there is such a code as long as you do your own or at least say you retrofited your own you are not subject to the DOT retrofit law correct me if im wrong on any of this Mr.108 please

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dt98gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
The Law
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3357

I'm not sure I can help you much on this one.

If you expand Title 39 and go to 39:3-48 and on, you can read some of the laws regarding vehicle lighting:
http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin...TOC_Frame_Pg42

Basically, your best bet would be to talk to someone knowledgeable at an inspection station. If they do their job correctly, they should be able to tell you what is legal.
The Law is offline   Reply With Quote