TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

Nissan FTW

This isnt a "What should i buy" thread, myself included hate those threads and im not here to ask which car i should buy. Im simply here to ask people who have owned these cars or people that have more knowledge than me with each of these cars. Im looking to buy another car as a project and would like some input on the tunability, aftermarket, reliability, ect. with each of these vehicles. Price range is ~$25k and under 50k miles, i have found at least few a of each of the cars mentioned so i know its possible. Also this will not be a daily so no need to get in a "AWD for winter" discussion. Please keep rude and off-topic posts to yourself, thanks!

Subaru STi 08+

Pros:
-Boxer Rumble
-Bulletproof 6 Speed
-What im used to
-Good platform to start with
-AWD

Cons:
-Expensive for +400awhp
-Already been here
-Not an Evo lol

Mustang Cobra 03/04

Pros:
-Easy Big Power
-Bulletproof Tranny
-Bulletproof Motor
-Exhaust/SC'er symphony

Cons:
-RWD (IMO/traction issues)
-Weak Interior
-Live rear axle
-Heavy
-Softer suspension

BMW 335i Coupe

Pros:
-Sounds great w/ exhaust
-Decent power w/ aftermarket
-BMW quality

Cons:
-Pricey
-Maintenance
-Pricey aftermarket
-RWD

Mitsubishi Evolution 9 (GSR/SE)

Pros:
-Bulletproof motor
-Seats
-Looks good
-Big aftermarket

Cons:
-Only 5 speed
-Lag with the 2.0
-Lifeless exhaust note (IMO)

Mitsubishi Evolution X

Pros:
-Great looks
-Nice interior
-Takes well to mods

Cons:
-Slower than Evo 9
-4B11T not as proven as 4G63
-Weak 5 speed
-Lifeless exhaust (IMO)

Infinity G37

Pros:
-Great looks
-6 Speed
-Great exhaust

Cons:
-Pricey aftermarket
-Pricey
-Maintenance

Nissan 370Z

Pros:
-Same as Infinity

Cons:
-Pricey aftermarket

Honda AP2 S2000

Pros:
-Looks

Cons:
-Vert
-Pricey to mod
-RWD

Volvo C30

Pros:
-Love their look
-Exhaust
-Decent aftermarket

Cons:
-5 cylinder, really?
-FWD =(

I've also thought of Charger SRT-8, 350/G35, Genesis Coupe, Audi S4, Volks R32, GSX, Mazda Speed6. Some of what i said above IMO, others are somewhat known "facts", what ever you care to enlighten me on feel free. Also if you have any other recommendations feel free to bring them up, looking for mainly AWD or RWD. Thanks guys!

Currently leaning towards Evo 9, Cobra, and 335i.

*CK*

Last edited by ambitiousCK; 03-06-2011 at 07:19 PM.
ambitiousCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Why is rwd a con? Proper set up cobras will pull ridiculous 60 foot times.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
laser92dsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #14720

My Ride:
gets me from point A to point B

Send a message via AIM to laser92dsm
I would possibly choose any of those just because like you said they all have their pros and cons. If I had to pick it would be either an Evo or a Sti (but you have done that already) another option is a Cobra, if your only using it for a weekender a Cobra or Evo would do the job.
laser92dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
DownforceTom
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7090

My Ride:
05 STi

335s are uncharted territory with mileage & reliability.

Quote:
did that STi make your dick grow bigger too?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DownforceTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

s2000 is expensive to mod?
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Im assuming hes meaning turbo,supporting mods for boost,motor work,etc.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
augustburnshred
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18314

My Ride:
1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Im a dsmer so I say evo 9 the tens arent as quick because of the new transmissions and its not a 4g63 anymore. and I would definitely want awd. and the 9's come in the MR which is 6 speed.
augustburnshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

If your interested in a Cobra, I saw this on Autotrader.... Seems like a pretty good price for it being a dealer.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
Why is rwd a con? Proper set up cobras will pull ridiculous 60 foot times.
Wheelspin and me being a virgin to RWD are the cons for me. Not cons in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser92dsm View Post
I would possibly choose any of those just because like you said they all have their pros and cons. If I had to pick it would be either an Evo or a Sti (but you have done that already) another option is a Cobra, if your only using it for a weekender a Cobra or Evo would do the job.
Yea it'll just be a fun build and a place to put all my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownforceTom View Post
335s are uncharted territory with mileage & reliability.
Meaning there too new to say about there reliability yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
s2000 is expensive to mod?
See below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Im assuming hes meaning turbo,supporting mods for boost,motor work,etc.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustburnshred View Post
Im a dsmer so I say evo 9 the tens arent as quick because of the new transmissions and its not a 4g63 anymore. and I would definitely want awd. and the 9's come in the MR which is 6 speed.

Yea the X's are nicer as far as interior vs. the 9's (IMO) and the 9's MR 6 speed is something i'd like to stay away from, hence the specification of the GSR and SE models.

Keep the feedback coming guys

*CK*
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
If your interested in a Cobra, I saw this on Autotrader.... Seems like a pretty good price for it being a dealer.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

wow thats real low mileage lol i found many Cobras for $20k and under though. I dont have a specific range in where im looking for cars. I'd have no problem flying to purchase a car. lol

*CK*
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:

Also, reason i posted "pricey aftermarket" for some cars is that if its N/A (350/370, G35/G37, S2000 ect.) it would be being built (motor, F/I) after bolt ons are accomplished. Just to clarify that...

*CK*
Old 03-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
Kiro
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19484

My Ride:
1988 Toyota MR2

Is ~$25k your budget, or just your price range for the initial purchase of the vehicle?

Some of these, like you've mentioned, you can find for under $20k. Whatever is remaining after purchasing can be put towards modding. For example, if you had to choose between a $15k S2000 with $10k mods and a stock $25k STi (numbers are only for example and do not reflect real prices), which would you rather have?

I haven't driven let alone owned any of these cars before, so I don't really have an informed opinion. Of that list, though, I'd go with an early AP2 S2000 before they introduced drive-by-wire. However, for you, I think the Evo IX would be a good choice.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
Is ~$25k your budget, or just your price range for the initial purchase of the vehicle?

Some of these, like you've mentioned, you can find for under $20k. Whatever is remaining after purchasing can be put towards modding. For example, if you had to choose between a $15k S2000 with $10k mods and a stock $25k STi (numbers are only for example and do not reflect real prices), which would you rather have?

I haven't driven let alone owned any of these cars before, so I don't really have an informed opinion. Of that list, though, I'd go with an early AP2 S2000 before they introduced drive-by-wire. However, for you, I think the Evo IX would be a good choice.
The $ 25k is just the purchase price of the car itself, now though the more and more I research I'm finding some things I like and don't like. Like the lack of aftermarket for the 335i and the cobras interior...yuck. The evo 9 is still number one but im gonna be looking at the G37/370z alittle closer.

*CK*
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Subaru STi 08+---------- Only if u really want it over the others, cuz like u said, uve been there done that....I personally wouldnt get another sti right away.

Pros:
-Boxer Rumble
-Bulletproof 6 Speed
-What im used to
-AWD

Cons:
-Expensive for +400awhp
-Already been here
-Not an Evo lol

Mustang Cobra 03/04--------- Great choice if u want a fast car with a lot of easy potential, definitely the fastest of ur listed options, deff kind crap on the interior though. But if u just want fast as hell, get this hands down

Pros:
-Easy Big Power
-Bulletproof Tranny
-Bulletproof Motor
-Exhaust/SC'er symphony

Cons:
-RWD (IMO/traction issues)----------------- Learn to handle it, its not that hard just got to a parking lot and practice, and teach urself to be more mindful of what ur right foot is doing, and what the car is doing. Hone ur senses.
-Weak Interior
-Live rear axle-------- Not on these, they had IRS on the cobras only
-Heavy---------- 3300-3400lbs is on the lighter side of most of the cars in question
-Softer suspension--------------- One of the easiest things to change about a car, not even worth mentioning here

BMW 335i Coupe

Pros:
-Sounds great w/ exhaust
-BMW quality

Cons:
-Pricey----------------- This will be a continuing theme if u get this car, yea its very nice in all ways......but ur paying for it
-Maintenance
-Pricey aftermarket
-RWD------------------- Same as above, RWD is easy and preferable if u know what ur doing with it.

Mitsubishi Evolution 9 (GSR/SE)------------- Great option if u dont want a X more for some reason.......namely weight

Pros:
-Bulletproof motor
-Seats
-Looks good
-Big aftermarket

Cons:
-Only 5 speed------------- 6 speed if u can find an MR
-Lag with the 2.0

Mitsubishi Evolution X ------------ Great car, hard to argue with 370whp from basic mods alone, and ur well aware of what a goo package a fast awd sedan is from ur scoob

Pros:
-Great looks
-Nice interior
-Takes well to mods

Cons:
-Slower than Evo 9
-4B11T not as proven as 4G63----------- True in that it hasnt been around as long, but it seems to be doing well
-Weak 5 speed-------------------- This is very true, it completely drops off when u shift into 5th lol
-Lifeless exhaust (IMO)

Infinity G37

Pros:
-Great looks
-6 Speed
-Great exhaust

Cons:
-Pricey aftermarket
-Pricey
-Maintenance
------------------------- For both VQ37 cars, theyre fun but if u want 400whp from them ur gonna have to spend alot to boost them, cuz they aint making more than 350 (generous) without boost. Fun cars though, but theres better ones on this list.
Nissan 370Z

Pros:
-Same as Infinity

Cons:
-Pricey aftermarket

Honda AP2 S2000------------- This is quite different from anything else here. If u want a fun roadster then this is good, but u put rwd and vert under cons.....so u clearly dont.......forget the S2k then bro

Pros:
-Looks

Cons:
-Vert
-Pricey to mod
-RWD

Volvo C30------ Very fun car, but again quite different from anything else ur considering here, and like the S2k u dot really seem to want this kind of car......not over the others anyway

Pros:
-Love their look
-Exhaust
-Decent aftermarket

Cons:
-5 cylinder, really?
-FWD =(

I've also thought of Charger SRT-8 No its Auto u'll hate urself, 350/G35 Not if u can have a 370Z/G37, Genesis Coupe Very good car, maybe think more about it compared to the others, Audi S4 If ur thinking B6 then forget it. V8 + 13gal tank = less than 200mi per tank, Volks R32 Cool car, great sound, but expensive and limited, GSX, Mazda Speed6 good car not as good as the evo or sti. Some of what i said above IMO, others are somewhat known "facts", what ever you care to enlighten me on feel free. Also if you have any other recommendations feel free to bring them up, looking for mainly AWD or RWD. Thanks guys!

Good call, u need to figure out what u really want though. If u can do without the Luxury, then scrap the bimmer for sure. If u want power and speed, get the cobra bar none. If u want the good overall package then either evo is the way to go
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:
'06 Subaru Baja Turbo. Cash consuming vortex from HELL

Or wait for the Subaru/Toyota sports car to hit.

It's going to be in the 25k range.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

Don't get an Evo X. You're into making the car flashy, so you'd be competing with me.

I have yet to see a local 08+ STi that stands out from the crowd.
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #17
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

STi if I had to choose. If the S2000 were an AP1 I'd say through that in the choices as well.
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #18
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
Subaru STi 08+---------- Only if u really want it over the others, cuz like u said, uve been there done that....I personally wouldnt get another sti right away.

Pros:
-Boxer Rumble
-Bulletproof 6 Speed
-What im used to
-AWD

Cons:
-Expensive for +400awhp
-Already been here
-Not an Evo lol

Mustang Cobra 03/04--------- Great choice if u want a fast car with a lot of easy potential, definitely the fastest of ur listed options, deff kind crap on the interior though. But if u just want fast as hell, get this hands down

Pros:
-Easy Big Power
-Bulletproof Tranny
-Bulletproof Motor
-Exhaust/SC'er symphony

Cons:
-RWD (IMO/traction issues)----------------- Learn to handle it, its not that hard just got to a parking lot and practice, and teach urself to be more mindful of what ur right foot is doing, and what the car is doing. Hone ur senses.
-Weak Interior
-Live rear axle-------- Not on these, they had IRS on the cobras only
-Heavy---------- 3300-3400lbs is on the lighter side of most of the cars in question
-Softer suspension--------------- One of the easiest things to change about a car, not even worth mentioning here

BMW 335i Coupe

Pros:
-Sounds great w/ exhaust
-BMW quality

Cons:
-Pricey----------------- This will be a continuing theme if u get this car, yea its very nice in all ways......but ur paying for it
-Maintenance
-Pricey aftermarket
-RWD------------------- Same as above, RWD is easy and preferable if u know what ur doing with it.

Mitsubishi Evolution 9 (GSR/SE)------------- Great option if u dont want a X more for some reason.......namely weight

Pros:
-Bulletproof motor
-Seats
-Looks good
-Big aftermarket

Cons:
-Only 5 speed------------- 6 speed if u can find an MR
-Lag with the 2.0

Mitsubishi Evolution X ------------ Great car, hard to argue with 370whp from basic mods alone, and ur well aware of what a goo package a fast awd sedan is from ur scoob

Pros:
-Great looks
-Nice interior
-Takes well to mods

Cons:
-Slower than Evo 9
-4B11T not as proven as 4G63----------- True in that it hasnt been around as long, but it seems to be doing well
-Weak 5 speed-------------------- This is very true, it completely drops off when u shift into 5th lol
-Lifeless exhaust (IMO)

Infinity G37

Pros:
-Great looks
-6 Speed
-Great exhaust

Cons:
-Pricey aftermarket
-Pricey
-Maintenance
------------------------- For both VQ37 cars, theyre fun but if u want 400whp from them ur gonna have to spend alot to boost them, cuz they aint making more than 350 (generous) without boost. Fun cars though, but theres better ones on this list.
Nissan 370Z

Pros:
-Same as Infinity

Cons:
-Pricey aftermarket

Honda AP2 S2000------------- This is quite different from anything else here. If u want a fun roadster then this is good, but u put rwd and vert under cons.....so u clearly dont.......forget the S2k then bro

Pros:
-Looks

Cons:
-Vert
-Pricey to mod
-RWD

Volvo C30------ Very fun car, but again quite different from anything else ur considering here, and like the S2k u dot really seem to want this kind of car......not over the others anyway

Pros:
-Love their look
-Exhaust
-Decent aftermarket

Cons:
-5 cylinder, really?
-FWD =(

I've also thought of Charger SRT-8 No its Auto u'll hate urself, 350/G35 Not if u can have a 370Z/G37, Genesis Coupe Very good car, maybe think more about it compared to the others, Audi S4 If ur thinking B6 then forget it. V8 + 13gal tank = less than 200mi per tank, Volks R32 Cool car, great sound, but expensive and limited, GSX, Mazda Speed6 good car not as good as the evo or sti. Some of what i said above IMO, others are somewhat known "facts", what ever you care to enlighten me on feel free. Also if you have any other recommendations feel free to bring them up, looking for mainly AWD or RWD. Thanks guys!

Good call, u need to figure out what u really want though. If u can do without the Luxury, then scrap the bimmer for sure. If u want power and speed, get the cobra bar none. If u want the good overall package then either evo is the way to go
Def agree with most of the things you said, barring the Evo and Cobra everything on the list will cost big money to make over 400whp. If thats the case the STi would be in line again BUT the big thing with that would be trying something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie_sleeper View Post
Or wait for the Subaru/Toyota sports car to hit.

It's going to be in the 25k range.
I was thinking about that...maybe i'll have the time to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujito View Post
Don't get an Evo X. You're into making the car flashy, so you'd be competing with me.

I have yet to see a local 08+ STi that stands out from the crowd.
Not to jerk you off or anything but you were in the back of my mind when i thought about the X lmao.

The 370z has really grabbed my attention and that is now in the top three....sadly i want a complete car as in performance/interior/exterior/visceral feeling ect. and the Cobra really doesnt make the list on some of those. If all i wanted was big HP i'd be all over the Cobra...but the thought of me driving around in that interior just irks me...especially with nothing i could do about it. The 370z seems to meet a lot if not all of my wants. The interior is nice, i like the exterior styling...large hips...mmmmm....lol Great exhaust note, 6MT, 4 pot 14'' brake set up on the sports models (only model i'd consider) and can make decent HP with bolt ons. Yes boost will cost money and any real boost will mean i built motor, 6-8psi on stock VQ37 is all it can handle. But if i was going to build the STi like that i'll have no problem building the 370z like that. This def isnt set in stone though.....Evo 9 GSR or SE is def still up there at the top.

*CK*
Old 03-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #19
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

370Z's are very sexy cars. With coilovers and nice aggressive wheels the car is sex.
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #20
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
I was saying that the Stang and the Evo would be the cheapest to make over 400whp. To my knowledge I think intake pully and exhaust will get u there easy with the stang.

The bimmer is the only really expensive one
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote