TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
enohand
Tri-State Addict

Member #2644

My Ride:
1996 p10

Send a message via AIM to enohand
reg sata is probally cheaper.

other then that no benifit.
enohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchSurfer3 View Post
Fantastic. As long as it works that's my main concern. Would it be beneficial to find a regular SATA though, or are you saying it just wouldn't be as fast as it could be in a SATA 3 port? You've been a huge help Bates, I really appreciate it.
A Sata 3 6/gbs drive is capable of a high amount of read/write speeds, which means it has newer and better technology. Trying to find a SATA 1 drive, while not impossible is not recommended as the technology is obsolete. But the price difference might significant enough to buy an older drive, but if you are going with a SSD drive, just make sure you read lots of reviews on Newegg first.

SSDs are fantastic but some like older OCZ drives are plagued with firmware issues. OCZ does make great drives, as does Kingston and Crucial. PNY isn't bad either. Also be sure to read up on warranty info just in case they fail. OCZ usually offers a limited lifetime warranty on all their products, and they have great customer support.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227727
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233268
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227707
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Bates, you're the man. I was actually looking at some OCZ ones earlier. Been trying to read up and find as many reviews as possible. I'll probably go with a ssd. Now the problem will be getting a new copy of windows if I can't clone my old hdd.

FRP™ #5
HatchSurfer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Do you not have a Windows CD key?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Do you not have a Windows CD key?
I don't believe one came with my laptop when I got it. I'll have to go back through everything though. I think I used to have an XP from my desktop which is even older, so that might have to suffice for the time being.

FRP™ #5
Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
I don't believe one came with my laptop when I got it. I'll have to go back through everything though. I think I used to have an XP from my desktop which is even older, so that might have to suffice for the time being.
look on the underside of your laptop, you should see a genuine windows sticker with your cd key on it.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
look on the underside of your laptop, you should see a genuine windows sticker with your cd key on it.
Oh it is there! Thanks! Is there anywhere I can download a copy for free since I have the key if I don't have the CD? Its Vista premium home if it makes a difference.

FRP™ #5
Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

PM'd...
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #29
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

IIRC Manufacture Keys only work with their discs. Example, A Dell or Asus Key will not work with a Retail Copy of Windows, you have to use the Dell or Asus (depending on your laptop manufacture) Windows Disc.

Best Series SSD when I bought mine a few months ago is the M4 series. The write speed is slower, but you shouldn't constantly be writing to a SSD anyway. Get a 60 or 80 GB SSD for Windows, Anti-Virus and maybe Office and thats it. The rest goes on a standard platter drive.
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutobahnRacer View Post
IIRC Manufacture Keys only work with their discs. Example, A Dell or Asus Key will not work with a Retail Copy of Windows, you have to use the Dell or Asus (depending on your laptop manufacture) Windows Disc.

Best Series SSD when I bought mine a few months ago is the M4 series. The write speed is slower, but you shouldn't constantly be writing to a SSD anyway. Get a 60 or 80 GB SSD for Windows, Anti-Virus and maybe Office and thats it. The rest goes on a standard platter drive.
This is pretty much true. OEM discs are usually hard coded to only work with certain devices. Plus, you wouldn't want to put Vista back on it anyway.

You have a couple of options now. You can find yourself a hacked version of XP (like Performance edition) and use that, or find a cheap copy of Windows 7, that shouldn't be too hard either. Though I'd hope your notebook has at least 2 GBs of ram or Windows 7 is going to lag something wicked.

Also, go ahead and buy yourself a cheap 500GB external HD and start using that as a backup. Schedule a Windows back up once a week or once a every 2 weeks to that external that way this won't happened again.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

One thing I forgot and the most important key point to my previous post about the M4 series drive is that it is slower at writing, but had the fastest read speed out of all of them.
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #32
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I'll be upgrading to windows 7. My laptop I'm 99% sure has 2gb of ram, which I might upgrade to 4 while I'm at all this.

Good news also. I got the enclosure in, slapped my old HDD in and it worked! I pulled some of my more important files off of it already, but probably going to clone it also once I get a chance. I figure I'll still upgrade to windows 7 and start fresh. Still nice that I'm able to retrieve all the info from the old one still though!

I'll be ordering the new HDD today or tomorrow once I can figure out which one I want.

FRP™ #5
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #33
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Bringing this back from the dead for a question. I did end up ordering a new HDD. I got a hybrid Seagate drive, which worked great for about a month then the same problem happened. Anyone know why it would happen again that quickly? I loaded a clean version of windows, didn't clone my old HDD or anything. Would there be another component in my laptop that would cause this to happen?

I bought a new laptop already but I figured I would ask to see what would cause this to happen. Also wouldn't mind throwing that hybrid one in my new laptop as it worked great. So if it is another component that failed rather than the actual HDD it would be helpful to know. I don't want to load a bad hdd onto my new laptop and cause any problems. Thanks guys.

FRP™ #5
Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #34
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Bringing this back from the dead for a question. I did end up ordering a new HDD. I got a hybrid Seagate drive, which worked great for about a month then the same problem happened. Anyone know why it would happen again that quickly? I loaded a clean version of windows, didn't clone my old HDD or anything. Would there be another component in my laptop that would cause this to happen?

I bought a new laptop already but I figured I would ask to see what would cause this to happen. Also wouldn't mind throwing that hybrid one in my new laptop as it worked great. So if it is another component that failed rather than the actual HDD it would be helpful to know. I don't want to load a bad hdd onto my new laptop and cause any problems. Thanks guys.
Sounds like you have Sata controller issues. Congrats on buying a new notebook rather than throwing money at the old one.

Word of advice, Hybrids are junk. You are getting let's say 500 gigs of standard disk storage most likely at 5400 RPM if it is a notebook hard drive, and 8 gigs of SSD storage.

It's a terrible way to drop 130$. Take that money next time and get a 60-120GB SSD, and then a 500GB slave HDD. Might be a little bit more money but it is a much better route to go.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
Sounds like you have Sata controller issues. Congrats on buying a new notebook rather than throwing money at the old one.

Word of advice, Hybrids are junk. You are getting let's say 500 gigs of standard disk storage most likely at 5400 RPM if it is a notebook hard drive, and 8 gigs of SSD storage.

It's a terrible way to drop 130$. Take that money next time and get a 60-120GB SSD, and then a 500GB slave HDD. Might be a little bit more money but it is a much better route to go.
Thanks, it was definitely a better idea then trying to constantly fix/update my old notebook. The hybrid I bought had 4gb of solid state and 500 gb at 7200rpm (Only paid $80). Thats still probably better than the 500gb at 5400 that came stock in the new notebook though isn't it? I have been looking at getting a SSD regardless. Looks like I can pick up a nice 120gb one for around a $100.

You think the hybrid one is fine then? I can even put that in my crappy little netbook I have to maybe give it a little boost.

FRP™ #5
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Thanks, it was definitely a better idea then trying to constantly fix/update my old notebook. The hybrid I bought had 4gb of solid state and 500 gb at 7200rpm (Only paid $80). Thats still probably better than the 500gb at 5400 that came stock in the new notebook though isn't it? I have been looking at getting a SSD regardless. Looks like I can pick up a nice 120gb one for around a $100.

You think the hybrid one is fine then? I can even put that in my crappy little netbook I have to maybe give it a little boost.
If you dedicate the 4 GBs of SSD speed to your page file you'll notice a difference in speeds. Other than that 4 GBs is absolutely useless lol.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #37
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
If you dedicate the 4 GBs of SSD speed to your page file you'll notice a difference in speeds. Other than that 4 GBs is absolutely useless lol.
Haha damnit, fooled by clever marketing and not enough research. Oh well, it was about the same price as other 500gb hdds at 7200 i think.

FRP™ #5
Old 12-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #38
dexxxter
Noob-Jersey

Member #28020

My Ride:
Exlipse GSX 61

Who is maker of HDD?
dexxxter is offline   Reply With Quote