TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Spotted!
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #41
Spicy_Orange2003
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #9240

My Ride:
2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED protege

gsx yeah that was me most likly but yeah where were you when you saw me... finally justin your on the road you still pushing 10psi?... yo rush what you dynoed at why are you not sure if you want the uni chip... im thinking about it for our cars its around 50hp idk about tq but yeah... right not where i sit i have
-perrin exhust
-HKS front mount intercoolers with hard pipes
-Filter head
-Greddy Type RS BOV
Spicy_Orange2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #42
Spicy_Orange2003

Member #9240

My Ride:

yo brad do you have any of your stuff for sale for the msp?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #43
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
I miss my MSP! I ran the splitsecond afc but neevr got it tuned. Ran a base map off of it and the car ran great.

Spicy_Orange2003 i have a set of steelies with snow tires on them that I'm looking to sell that i used on my msp.
I also have brand new set of Satisfied Gran Sport brake pads.

If anyone is interested in this stuff please PM me.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #44
Rush
Tri-State Addict

Member #2869

My Ride:
'05 G35 Coupe 6MT [om-nom]; '00 Protege [DD]; Former MSP Driver [RIP #1276]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy_Orange2003 View Post
yo rush what you dynoed at why are you not sure if you want the uni chip... im thinking about it for our cars its around 50hp idk about tq but yeah...
Like I said .. My MSP is my daily driver. It's the only car I have. If I push my luck with the tune on the Unichip, and my engine blows, I'm screwed. And the Unichip comes 'stock' with a tune that was created for a MSP with ONLY an exhaust and intake. I have much more than that done -- so I'd have to have the Unichip tuned somewhere for it to run well on my car. And tuners for the Unichip are very hard to find, and tend to be expensive.

So overall, as I see it, here are my two options:

1. Drive about 2 hours to have my Unichip tuned, which will cost about $60 in gas. Pay $400 or so for the tune. If the tune isn't great, especially if it's lean, I'm that much closer to blowing my engine. And after the tune, I'd be pushing enough hp to run the risk of blowing my engine. And I'd be running that combined risk whenever I drive my car -- which is every single day, year-round.

2. Sell Unichip. Pocket $500 or so from the sale, plus keep the $400 I'd pay for the tune and $60 I'd spend on the gas to drive to the tuning shop. Keep my MSP's engine in one piece, and enjoy it without wondering if my rods are gonna come flying through the block every time I step on the gas pedal.

#2 sounds better to me.

Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #45
BradC
Tri-State Addict

Member #1083

My Ride:
Boosted NA/2000 SAAB 9-5

Send a message via AIM to BradC
Quote:
yo brad do you have any of your stuff for sale for the msp?
Hey man, the only things I have left are stuff you most likely already have. I still have the engine cover and front strut bar laying around, but nothing good.

If I were to do it again, I would go with either the S/S AFC like TalonTsi97 mentioned (search dsm afc on www.msprotege.com) or parallel a megasquirt in with the stock ECU.

As Rush mentioned, the Unichip was a pain in the ass as far as getting tuned. I also did a few long-distance tunes, and it also ran a bit lean for my tastes.

If you are willing to take a drive somewhere like Altered Atmoshpere, they will get it spot on for you. Only bitch is you need to do that whenever you make a power mod. Gay.

IIRC, the Perrin exhaust removes the cats, right??

With a good solid tune and your mods you should be able to get 200 wheel easy peasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEcRv9
more like fresh IC piping coupler...
Was his coupler damaged? If so, let me know Justin, I'll help you with the cost of the one you replaced it with.

Also, if you do it again, let me know and I'll let you borrow my air ratchet, make that **** easy on yourself.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #46
BradC
Tri-State Addict

Member #1083

My Ride:
Boosted NA/2000 SAAB 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
Like I said .. My MSP is my daily driver. It's the only car I have. If I push my luck with the tune on the Unichip, and my engine blows, I'm screwed.
Cindy, what kinda AFR's are you running with the stock ECU in there and your mods??
Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #47
justinlansdale
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4286

My Ride:
old BMW & obnoxious bike(s)

Send a message via AIM to justinlansdale
hey cindy, did you ever get any spark blow out before you switched to the colder plugs? i was getting quite a bit at 10 psi before i switched to the 6F's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Was his coupler damaged? If so, let me know Justin, I'll help you with the cost of the one you replaced it with.

Also, if you do it again, let me know and I'll let you borrow my air ratchet, make that **** easy on yourself.
it was the coupler connecting the hot pipe to the intercooler and it wasn't damaged but the pipe disconnected well off from the core haha! it slapped it back on, tightened it up, and threw in another set of NGK 6F's gapped .030 for good measure. i'm back up running 9psi and it feels strong! thanks for your help and expertise! i guess it was convenient that i broke right by your house hah

//
justinlansdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #48
BradC
Tri-State Addict

Member #1083

My Ride:
Boosted NA/2000 SAAB 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlansdale View Post
hey cindy, did you ever get any spark blow out before you switched to the colder plugs? i was getting quite a bit at 10 psi before i switched to the 6F's.

it was the coupler connecting the hot pipe to the intercooler and it wasn't damaged but the pipe disconnected well off from the core haha! it slapped it back on, tightened it up, and threw in another set of NGK 6F's gapped .030 for good measure. i'm back up running 9psi and it feels strong! thanks for your help and expertise! i guess it was convenient that i broke right by your house hah
I had spark blowout even with the colder plugs, if they got old at all. Keep 'em freshy fresh.

Good to hear the coupler just popped. If you ever die close again, give me a holler, lol. What sucks is we looked at that, as all of our first thoughts. How the F didn't we see that?

I still have the FSM on disk for you, I might be going for a ride in a few, give me a holler if you wanna snag it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #49
Rush
Tri-State Addict

Member #2869

My Ride:
'05 G35 Coupe 6MT [om-nom]; '00 Protege [DD]; Former MSP Driver [RIP #1276]

Quote:
If you are willing to take a drive somewhere like Altered Atmoshpere, they will get it spot on for you. Only bitch is you need to do that whenever you make a power mod. Gay.
Actually .. I wouldn't go to AA. I was just recently told by a MSP owner near them that they completely restaffed, and that the new staff is terrible. Their tunes aren't great anymore -- the MSP owner told me that one of his friends paid a hefty price for a tune at AA that he had to have fixed somewhere else.

Quote:
Cindy, what kinda AFR's are you running with the stock ECU in there and your mods??
At idle, my AFRs bounce between 14 - 15. At full boost, they go off the chart of my wideband at 10, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlansdale View Post
Nope, I've never had any problems with my spark plugs -- before or after I switched 'em out. Guess I got lucky!

Great to hear that your MSP is back on the road, Justin! TST just wasn't the same without all the Justin Lansdale spotted threads, roffles.

Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #50
MSPBoost03
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5934

My Ride:
08 caliber srt4 inferno red 'BOOST'

Send a message via AIM to MSPBoost03 Send a message via Yahoo to MSPBoost03
i love my perrin exhaust and short shifter. go with the afc not the unichip...

MSPBoost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #51
Spicy_Orange2003

Member #9240

My Ride:

hey whats up whats the afc and were would i be able to get that and how much power you get and how much is it going to run me?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #52
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Quote:
hey whats up whats the afc and were would i be able to get that and how much power you get and how much is it going to run me?
Take a minute and search the mazda forums. You will learn everything you need to know about these cars.

Anyway you would be interested in my snow tires/wheels or brand new brake pads i mentioned above?

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #53
Spicy_Orange2003

Member #9240

My Ride:

right now i have no money but yeah i dont think im driving me car in the winter prob going to take my dads truck
Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #54
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Quote:
right now i have no money but yeah i dont think im driving me car in the winter prob going to take my dads truck
Thats cool, i drove mine during the winter threw snow and the snow tires were amazing. If i still had it i wouldn't hesitate one bit.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #55
MSPBoost03
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5934

My Ride:

i got my afc off mazdas247.com forums used from another member..great site for msp owners. the couple years ive been on there ive spent probably $3k in the forsale section lol heres my mods:

Perrin Exhaust, Short Shifter & Fuel Rail, Millenia PCV, Corksport J-Pipe & Bronze Oil Bushings, Kartboy Shifter Bushings & Exhaust Hangers, Turboxs MBC & BPV, Aluminum Hard Pipes, Greddy Type-RS BOV, Split Second AFC, JDM Camshaft, PG Intake Mani, Injen CAI, AWR Front & Rear MM, SLS T-Stat Housing (not installed), AutoMeter Ultra-Lite Boost, Volts & EGT Gauges

Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #56
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPBoost03 View Post
i got my afc off mazdas247.com forums used from another member..great site for msp owners. the couple years ive been on there ive spent probably $3k in the forsale section lol heres my mods:

Perrin Exhaust, Short Shifter & Fuel Rail, Millenia PCV, Corksport J-Pipe & Bronze Oil Bushings, Kartboy Shifter Bushings & Exhaust Hangers, Turboxs MBC & BPV, Aluminum Hard Pipes, Greddy Type-RS BOV, Split Second AFC, JDM Camshaft, PG Intake Mani, Injen CAI, AWR Front & Rear MM, SLS T-Stat Housing (not installed), AutoMeter Ultra-Lite Boost, Volts & EGT Gauges
How much boost are you running with that setup? Ever get it dynoed? What map you running on the afc?
pm sent back

Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #57
MSPBoost03
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5934

My Ride:

im running about 9.5psi, dont know the dyno yet (im a pu$$y when it comes to running it hard) i let my brother take it down the track acouple times and it was high 14s with alot of wheelhop/spinning. i uploaded the stock supermap with the afc. i need to get a wideband gauge and fix the oil leak at the turbo. then ill dyno it. i dynoed it before with just the exhaust, cai and hardpipes and it was a whole 155hp lol.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #58
Spicy_Orange2003

Member #9240

My Ride:

yo boost 03 whats up man what do you have done to your msp?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #59
Outlawstar98
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6940

My Ride:
06 BMW; 13 BRZ

Send a message via AIM to Outlawstar98 Send a message via MSN to Outlawstar98
im in a GB for a 3" downpipe, but im thinking about just buying the GHL Turbo back and welding my HKS muffler i want onto it, hm... Dont know yet LOL
Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #60
MSPBoost03
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5934

My Ride:

yea i want the 3" s/j pipe to go with my perrin exhaust...but im trying to get a new driverside fender, some winter wheels/tires and turbo oil leak fixed first...im ordered turbo fittings friday or saturday. my mods are in post #55 in this thread.