TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-19-2005, 11:56 PM   #1
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
2005 STi HIDs vs. 2003 EDM Projector HIDs photo comparison (4300k/5000k/6000k)

All three photos were taken from the same distance, on the same night, with the same exposure and the daylight white balance setting was used in my camera which is 5200k (which means that a light with temperature of 5200k should be pure white). No post processing of the photos have been performed, so what you see is what you get. These photos should be an accurate way to compare and contrast light intensity, focus, and color.
FYI I just swapped the Brightstar kit for the McCulloch kit on my EDM projectors so thats what I was originally check out, and yes I know they arent levelled properly, its a ***** to do in 20 degree weather!
bryan
edit: i should get a wrx with stock halogens in there to give it a 'baseline' huh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:08 AM   #2
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL
edit: i should get a wrx with stock halogens in there to give it a 'baseline' huh?
Ask Ash for some shots. She has HIDs on stock WRX headlamps.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:51 AM   #3
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:
88 RX7 TII, 2012 WRX hatch

Send a message via AIM to Silverfc88
Yeah I want to see what the stock headlights would compare to those. I was thinking of getting a 4300k hi/lo kit for my car, but I'm worried about the light pattern it would project.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj
Silverfc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
Smokescreen
Tri-State Addict

Member #9

I could pop my OEM lights in for some pics. Got a heated garage?

Smokescreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Send a message via AIM to S4toSTI
Mine are the sti ones and they are not aimed right as you can see but yeah they stink and i am sad.

Quote:
Bryan: hmm Word says streetable isnt a word but i say f*** Word
"Its not a Rice Rocket its a Matzah Missile" -RichK
S4toSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:10 AM   #6
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

ha no heated garage, but yes i would like to get photos of stock halogens and also stock lights with HIDs, now i'm curious.
this was in northeast philly so ideally i'd need to do the photos from the same exact spot, otherwise i'd need to measure the distance and find another dark lot with a light gray wall to use. and of course replicate my cameras settings again to standardize everything.
bryan

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 12-20-2005, 02:30 AM   #7
OWENthatsmyname
Tri-State Addict

Member #55

My Ride:

Send a message via AIM to OWENthatsmyname
wow i REALLY need an HID kit for my EDM headlights

OWENthatsmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

i got a stock wrx 05 but i got 8500k hids in it really bright...much better over stock yellowish color ones...

fastjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
Smokescreen
Tri-State Addict

Member #9

Quote:
ha no heated garage, but yes i would like to get photos of stock halogens and also stock lights with HIDs, now i'm curious.
I'll throw them in if that is what you need.

Quote:
this was in northeast philly so ideally i'd need to do the photos from the same exact spot, otherwise i'd need to measure the distance and find another dark lot with a light gray wall to use. and of course replicate my cameras settings again to standardize everything.
I'm on "vacation" all week so anyday is good. Let me know.

Smokescreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:41 PM   #10
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Nice, lets get a pic of my hid's on there lol. Mine are super bright.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:24 PM   #11
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

what are they?

|

Quote:

|
Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 PM   #12
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
lol, Im not even sure lol. They are just really bright and purple. O yea, and they 6500k.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
EatmyDust83
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #792

My Ride:
2009 Mazdaspeed3

fastjims are really bright and he doesnt even have the hid headlamps hes got 8500k bulbs though and they have a sweet blueish tint to them
EatmyDust83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #14
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

I think 8500k bulbs are a waste. For one, they arent much brighter than halogen bulbs and they are too blue. Every car that comes stock with xenons run 4100k bulbs. I have that temp bulbs in my car and the illumination is plenty bright and I have the "cool blue" cutoff that everyone likes.

See its not the bulb per se that makes that nice color, its the optics used. Generally the E-code lights have the most colorfull cutoff. Not only that but in europe their standards for lighting in general are much stricter than in the usa, so the equipment (optics, lenses, hardware..ect) are made to higher tolerances.

One question. How come in the pics above the "horizontal" part of the light shining on the wall is uneven. Its tilted slightly, the left side is lower than the right. Mine are the same way. On my projectors, there arent any adjustments for turning the housing to level that part off. You can adjust the overall height and I think the distance (left to right) horizontally.
2slowMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #15
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

Edit: Sorry I thought you were talking about 8500k xenons. Still xenon or not, 8500 is too high.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #16
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

well they kind of have a slight arch... if the photo was wider you'd see it starts to curve downwards the farther left you go. i can adjust up and down and left and right, but cant rotate mine clockwise or counterclockwise either.
as far as the _/- _/- cutoff if thats what you were asking about, its e-code which is in europe and it designed that way to illuminate the side of the road well for street signs or pedestrians, but its lower to the left to not blind traffic. jdm lights are the opposite and when used here generally blind traffic and do not illuminate the side of the road at all because they are shaped like -\_ -\_ instead.
oh and another thing, tinted halogen bulbs so they 'look' like HIDs blow... they look cheap and they cause extra glare because of the tint on them and they blind oncoming traffic

|

Quote:

|
Old 02-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #17
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

no i got hid halogens cuz they dont make projectors for my car yet so until i get projectors ill stick with the 8500s i got them in both of my cars and i love them...

Old 02-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #18
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

mine arent tinted either i got high quality ones

Old 02-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #19
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

i'm not trying to hate on you, but any halogen bulb advertising any color temperature above 4000K is tinted, no question about it.
halogen bulbs burn an amber-yellow-almostwhite color... thats just the color that the gas burns inside the bulb. xenon bulbs burn at a white-blue color, depends on the mixture of gases in there. the goal of a headlight is to put as much useable light on the road... any halogen bulb advertising its 'ultra white' or 'blue' color is achieving that by tinting the outside of the bulb... thats a bad thing because it decreases the amount of light the bulb would be putting out if it wasnt tinted, and it also disperses the light more which causes a less focused pattern and more glare for those driving in front of you or oncoming traffic.

|

Quote:

|
Old 02-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #20
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

Quote:
well they kind of have a slight arch... if the photo was wider you'd see it starts to curve downwards the farther left you go. i can adjust up and down and left and right, but cant rotate mine clockwise or counterclockwise either.
as far as the _/- _/- cutoff if thats what you were asking about, its e-code which is in europe and it designed that way to illuminate the side of the road well for street signs or pedestrians, but its lower to the left to not blind traffic. jdm lights are the opposite and when used here generally blind traffic and do not illuminate the side of the road at all because they are shaped like -\_ -\_ instead.
oh and another thing, tinted halogen bulbs so they 'look' like HIDs blow... they look cheap and they cause extra glare because of the tint on them and they blind oncoming traffic
Na I wasnt talking about the cutoff. Look at the 2nd pic down. Look at the perfectly level "lines" on the wall, where the cinderblocks are stacked on top of each other. Ok, those "lines" are perfectly straight, now look at the light at the bottom and top of the cutoff. Comparing it to the wall its crooked. Mine is the same way. Just wondering why this is.