TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
maximaserg
Tri-State Addict

Member #3466

What do you see as a ''Perfect'' Car show event.

Trying to get ideas about what do you guys see as a perfect car show event, and what it would have to offer to the public.

Spill it!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Want the immature answer? Good looking ladies, and good looking cars

Seriously, good looking cars, nice crowd, info placards for each car (obviously owner's responsibility) and t-shirts, promo material. Good place to take nice pics. Just some quick ideas.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Come to the Hooters meet up in NE Philly. It's got girls, food, bewbs, bewbs, wings, bewbs, muscle car guys rubbing elbows with tuners, awards.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Monterey CA, on Concours week. There are shows all over the place, and just driving around the area is better than most auto shows in itself. But I like a bunch of types of shows. And quite honestly, I like the meets we all go too. Its cool cuz its real world and there is alot of cool and unique stuff. Whereas at concours events its a bunch of stock exotics parked next to each other that are mostly the same. Different stuff for different reasons I guess. I think I like the official auto shows the least though (like philly int. Auto show, and NYIAS) cuz they are all kinda gay about the cooler cars that are there. (not that they arent fun tho)
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
To me a car meet should be allll about the cars. Everyone should have "hoods up" and BS'ing about cars learning from one another, talking about what they did, or plan on doing etc.

The perfect meet for me would be where everyone has a lot work done to their cars and plans on going further. Everyone is into all cars and not just their own . One were I can meet, network, and make some new car buddies that think about this sh** all day long like I do.

I also think anyone at a meet who talks crap about beat up drift cars should go home (these guys are actually doing something with their cars and it should be respected).Anyone that thinks its stupid to drop a lot of money into a car, thinks their car is the best, or thinks a car is fine in stock form should go home. (I understand not having money to mod trust me! but convincing yourself its dumb because of that and speaking it is just being a "hater" and makes you look like a shmuck)

With the above said I think everyone would leave a meet / show having learned more about their passion and be inspired to continue the sport / hobby.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
timp
Tri-State Addict

Member #8001

My Ride:
1970 VW Karmann Ghia, 1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Send a message via AIM to timp
I showed my Ghia at Volksfest one year and won 2nd place in the Karmann Ghia category. In the other shows I've showed at, I really never stood a chance at winning anything (which was fine with me, I was just having fun) despite all the work I put into it... however, the way volksfest did it was pretty cool. Anyone who entered a car in the show got a voting sheet, and we each walked around the show, to each of the category areas, picked our favorite car in the category, and wrote the car's number on the voting sheet. turn in the sheets, they tally the votes and the car with the most votes wins that category. car with the most votes in the show wins best of show.

I really like that system, rather than having a few snotty judges who are biased in one way or another... also, if you weren't into, say, vw kit cars, you didn't have to fill out the entire voting sheet if you didn't want to. It also made the show more fun for me, being a judge made me feel more involved and made me pay attention to the details on each of the cars.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
timp
Tri-State Addict

Member #8001

My Ride:

oh, and I would also like to see my vinyl decal/t-shirt business have a tent there somewhere. lol
Old 04-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:
'68 Kaiser M715/ '37 Ford truck/'47 Dodge truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timp View Post
I showed my Ghia at Volksfest one year and won 2nd place in the Karmann Ghia category. In the other shows I've showed at, I really never stood a chance at winning anything (which was fine with me, I was just having fun) despite all the work I put into it... however, the way volksfest did it was pretty cool. Anyone who entered a car in the show got a voting sheet, and we each walked around the show, to each of the category areas, picked our favorite car in the category, and wrote the car's number on the voting sheet. turn in the sheets, they tally the votes and the car with the most votes wins that category. car with the most votes in the show wins best of show.

I really like that system, rather than having a few snotty judges who are biased in one way or another... also, if you weren't into, say, vw kit cars, you didn't have to fill out the entire voting sheet if you didn't want to. It also made the show more fun for me, being a judge made me feel more involved and made me pay attention to the details on each of the cars.
I like that system also. To me, there is alot more to a car than just keeping it clean. I give a lot of credit to unrestored classics, and cars that are driven daily. A classic survivor is always more interesting to me than a perfectly restored piece.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
poolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
ohsixMTee
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13578

My Ride:
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona

Send a message via AIM to ohsixMTee
I think a nice baseline for a perfect car show would be, as mentioned, all the owners talking cars and learning what they can from one another.

Parking and show location play an important role too, obviously.

And, agreed that food and drinks def. compliment any show.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to poisonivory
i agree that car shows should be all about the cars and "show-ers" should have placards and hoods up, no matter how minimal the mods. Refreshments are a must, merchandise is a good idea.

I also LOVE the idea that the registered show-ers collectively pick show winners, rather than a panel of judges. Great idea!

I'm not against sexy chicks either. However, I do appreciate a family friendly atmosphere so kids can enjoy too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
poisonivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
maximaserg
Tri-State Addict

Member #3466

all your ideas sound great. Im working on putting a big fundraiser car show event together at west chester university on september 27th, and will definitely consider all of your ideas. I will post more information about the show when its closer to the date.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivory View Post
i agree that car shows should be all about the cars and "show-ers" should have placards and hoods up, no matter how minimal the mods. Refreshments are a must, merchandise is a good idea.

I also LOVE the idea that the registered show-ers collectively pick show winners, rather than a panel of judges. Great idea!

I'm not against sexy chicks either. However, I do appreciate a family friendly atmosphere so kids can enjoy too.
I agree with you on this, but for some peoples cars, hoods up really doesnt show a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timp View Post

I do like this system also, but sometimes, due to time, it is TOUGH to tally up all of those votes, unless you have a group of people to do it. A show like, say, Waterfest, or H2OI, you have tens of thousands of cars. It would take a small group of people QUITE a while to tally all of those votes.

Personally, a "perfect" car show consists of awesome cars, awesome people, a few vendors with discounted merch, and just all in all, a great atmosphere. Venues also play a good part in it too. If you are at a ****ty place, most likely, the show itself won't be too nice either. I volunteer for a show around here, and we try our best to make it the best that we can. Generally, we pick one of the other local car clubs to do our judging though, and suprisingly, there is not a strong bias towards cars in their group, since they only park together as a club, and not in the general show area.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
To me a car meet should be allll about the cars. Everyone should have "hoods up" and BS'ing about cars learning from one another, talking about what they did, or plan on doing etc.

The perfect meet for me would be where everyone has a lot work done to their cars and plans on going further. Everyone is into all cars and not just their own . One were I can meet, network, and make some new car buddies that think about this sh** all day long like I do.

I also think anyone at a meet who talks crap about beat up drift cars should go home (these guys are actually doing something with their cars and it should be respected).Anyone that thinks its stupid to drop a lot of money into a car, thinks their car is the best, or thinks a car is fine in stock form should go home. (I understand not having money to mod trust me! but convincing yourself its dumb because of that and speaking it is just being a "hater" and makes you look like a shmuck)

With the above said I think everyone would leave a meet / show having learned more about their passion and be inspired to continue the sport / hobby.
This pretty much nailed it for me along with some other points that people have made. I just think that everyone should be there for the same reason, no matter what their car or what it has or doesn't have. We all love cars because they express ourselves and they're fun as hell haha.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:

I'm kinda with this as well.

If there's a car show, nothing drives me nuts more than someone who pulls in in a bone stock car lowered on wheels, pops their hood, and stands by their car all day telling everyone how awesome they think their car is. I mean, no offense, but if I wanted to see a stock car I'd go to the dealership and talk to the salesman to get the same speil.

Car shows are about cars. The end.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
RedDawg
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10837

My Ride:
2006 LGT

cool cars
cheap food ($1 hotdogs)
sun
girls in bikinis/lingerie selling above mentioned food
RedDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #16
AristoSan
Tri-State Addict

Member #10650

My Ride:
Boosted 2001 GS300

A car show at the end of day is a show and should be somewhat entertaining, that is what HiN tries to provide to the public. I think car shows should have more variety of categories stop bunching up categories to save money on 10 dollar trophies. I have seen some many nice Acura sedans lose to a Integra because it doesn't have enough JDM on it. I would like to see better cars too many cars put together at your local pep boys. Also at your bigger shows you have the same guy/crew winning over and over because he knows the promoters or judges no matter what a new guy has put together in his car. When I do shows I go to just have fun and enjoy talking to someone when they ask about my car. Also I think more knowledgeable judges, I had a judge at HiN last year call my crew mates Acura RL a Honda Accord and it even had an Acura symbol on it..
AristoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:03 AM   #17
timp
Tri-State Addict

Member #8001

My Ride:

I've been thinking lately that an adult pinewood derby race would be a cool idea, since I imagine that with the knowledge we've gained, we could build better ones than when we were kids... none of the regulations though, just weight, and how long/wide/tall it has to be... shave down the wheels if you want, you don't have to use the kit (but maybe DO have to use the wheels). I don't know, could be a fun idea, and an interesting gimmick to gain recognition for your particular show... I'll bet the more people learned about the competition, it would grow every year... and the plus side is, you could get a local boy scout troop to host it, most of them have the tracks, and thus you could also donate to the kids.

Last edited by timp; 05-07-2009 at 04:05 AM.
timp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #18
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
I think if you want a good car show, emphasize that it's for a good cause and what kind of benefit it is for. A lot of people love to help out for things such as cancer research and other types of benefits. You would probably even draw out the crowd of people that aren't even that interested in cars.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
I'm kinda with this as well.

If there's a car show, nothing drives me nuts more than someone who pulls in in a bone stock car lowered on wheels, pops their hood, and stands by their car all day telling everyone how awesome they think their car is. I mean, no offense, but if I wanted to see a stock car I'd go to the dealership and talk to the salesman to get the same speil.

Car shows are about cars. The end.
Haha! nice. And I of course agree.

Things that should never be said at a TUNER meet -

1. The cars fine in stock form, no need for mod’s
2. Why is that 240 dented up
3. Dude, you don’t understand the technology that has gone into my car from the factory its amazing.
4. (Meet just starts and everyone gets there) OK, guys lets go inside and eat!
5. Ummmm why would you put that much money into a Civic
6. etc

Once again a CAR meet should be about the cars and not about just having a place to hang out because you found a website.

(((nothing wrong with having a stock car. If money is tight and you can't mod yet that’s fine and trust me I understand. But dissing those that do mod is you hating, being childish, and you just trying to justify why your car isn’t mod’ed. OR you’re not really into cars and you shouldn’t be there)))
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #20
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
Quote:
Haha! nice. And I of course agree.

Things that should never be said at a TUNER meet -

1. The cars fine in stock form, no need for mod’s
2. Why is that 240 dented up
3. Dude, you don’t understand the technology that has gone into my car from the factory its amazing.
4. (Meet just starts and everyone gets there) OK, guys lets go inside and eat!
5. Ummmm why would you put that much money into a Civic
6. etc

Once again a CAR meet should be about the cars and not about just having a place to hang out because you found a website.

(((nothing wrong with having a stock car. If money is tight and you can't mod yet that’s fine and trust me I understand. But dissing those that do mod is you hating, being childish, and you just trying to justify why your car isn’t mod’ed. OR you’re not really into cars and you shouldn’t be there)))
I support this post 100%.