TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Networking: requests and offers
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Any Resume experts?

Hey guys how’s it going? I've been looking to update my Resume. I re-did it myself but I think there’s still something missing. To me it doesn’t POP you know? If anyone has some blank templates or would like to take an honest look at it I'd appreciate it! (I can email it to you.)

(I'm not much for criticism so I wont be posting it up for everyone to critique. I can only take it in small doses Ha!)

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Microsoft Word has many templates for resumees, I just forget where they are hidden.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

Don't use templates. It doesn't say much to companies that you can fill in blanks.

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
dsturch1
Tri-State Addict

Member #2677

My Ride:
96 Civic DD & Boosted Del Sol

Send a message via AIM to dsturch1
Im usually pretty good at writing resumes...the key is to try to keep them to one page.

Also, a lot of people have different opinions on this but I think objectives are pointless. Your objective is obviously to get a job doing whatever your applying for so therefore the objective its pointless, however if you do need that in order to fill up space to take up a full page, then it serves its purpose. If you need help, just let me know.
Some people spend money on cars, some on women, I just spend money on my true solmate.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dsturch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Cleanneon - Yeah I know they are hidden. I could NOT find them for the life of me.

Thecaptain - I hear you, its prob. why it seems like there’s something missing from my Resume. Most likely because its generic looking.

dsturch - I would never do a two page Resume (not unless I was a CEO of a huge Company). I also agree with not having an objective for the same reason. I was however debating on doing an Introduction / opening with who, what, and when about myself but not sure on wording yet.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Glick
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3240

My Ride:
2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

Send a message via AIM to Glick
Use proper grammar and spell check it numerous times. An employer is going to be looking through a stack of resumes, and their job is to get the number of possible applicants down as fast as possible. They are going to be looking for random little things so they may get that number down as fast as possible so be aware of that. Get people to proofread it. A pair of fresh eyes may make a difference.

Do not leave a gap in your employment history. Do your best to avoid this, but do not lie.

In designing it, try to keep it as simple and quiet as possible, if it is busy an employer may just toss it aside.

Other than the above nothing else is really coming to mind, hopefully some of this helps.
Glick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Snoozie
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1887

Cover page! I think now-a-days, that is the most important thing you can do. Most employers look for resumes with cover pages. Im in the middle of looking for a new job too, and every add I see says to include one.

"Everyone learns faster on fire." - Alkaline Trio
Snoozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
dsturch - I would never do a two page Resume (not unless I was a CEO of a huge Company).
I hope you were kidding with this statement. Once you start working and gain experience your resume will grow, espically if you have worked for a bunch of different companies. My resume is 3 pages long right now and only highlights the key points and big accomplishments of my previous employment history.

Don't use templates it looks like something a highschool kid would do. Take time and create your own resume and style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpressure02 View Post
I hope you were kidding with this statement. Once you start working and gain experience your resume will grow, espically if you have worked for a bunch of different companies. My resume is 3 pages long right now and only highlights the key points and big accomplishments of my previous employment history.

Don't use templates it looks like something a highschool kid would do. Take time and create your own resume and style.

I'm pretty sure Resumes for the most part aren't supposed to go over a page. There are certain fields where more pages are common but 1 page is the generally accepted norm.
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffros Spec V View Post
I'm pretty sure Resumes for the most part aren't supposed to go over a page. There are certain fields where more pages are common but 1 page is the generally accepted norm.

depends on your experience level.
if you're very experienced in the job you're looking for it can be over a page.
just don't spend more than one page saying how you worked at radioshack and applebees.
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
Quote:
Originally Posted by igo4bmx View Post
depends on your experience level.
if you're very experienced in the job you're looking for it can be over a page.
just don't spend more than one page saying how you worked at radioshack and applebees.
My point!
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffros Spec V View Post

I am pretty sure your wrong if you are talking about any corporate job enviroment where you have had multiple experience.

Some of the resumes i dealt with in the pharma industry can be over 100 pages long.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
KingOfDelco
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #8058

My Ride:
'05 Scion Coupe

x2, resume should not be over a page. NO ONE will read a 100 page resume. Those business people types don't have time for that. Quality over quantity. Obviously, if you can't fit all of your occupational history on one page, you can leave off the job you had when you were 16 or any IRRELEVANT jobs. Ie. if you're applying for a job in insurance industry, no need to list your job waiting tables or delivering pizzas. Also don't list any jobs that you were fired from or had a falling out with, or any short term/summer jobs (unless you don't have an extensive history).

And cover letter is VERY important. Resume gives them your education and experience, hard facts. Cover letter gives them insight on your personality, attitude, ambitions, intangible stuff. You should be honest in your letter, but it also should not be over a page long.

I'm no expert on resumes, but I think I have a pretty nice one. I've gotten numerous compliments on it over the years (including my current employer). I've also given it out as a template to my brother and a few friends. I'm the assistant manager at my company, so i've received quite a few resumes in the last 2 years..

Email it to me and I'll give you my opinion/review/suggestions. lorentman@hotmail.com

GL
KingOfDelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Quote:

I was always told to keep it one page short. I've also researched Job seeking Websites and they all say the same. Resumes are a tuff thing because some want it one way and some another. I'll prob. work on making 2 resumes. 1 with 2 or more pages and 1 with 1 page and go from there. I am also starting to agree with not using a genarick template.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
dsturch1
Tri-State Addict

Member #2677

My Ride:

Quote:
I am pretty sure your wrong if you are talking about any corporate job enviroment where you have had multiple experience.

Some of the resumes i dealt with in the pharma industry can be over 100 pages long.
Your supposed to keep resumes short and sweet....theres a big difference between a resume and a thesis. My mom is pretty high up for Bristol Myers Squibb and has told me on multiple different occasions keep your resume to a page...2 TOPS. Seeing as she gets well over 500 resumes to review for certain positions, im pretty sure she would NOT look at a 100 page resume.
Some people spend money on cars, some on women, I just spend money on my true solmate.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #16
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsturch1 View Post
Your supposed to keep resumes short and sweet....theres a big difference between a resume and a thesis. My mom is pretty high up for Bristol Myers Squibb and has told me on multiple different occasions keep your resume to a page...2 TOPS. Seeing as she gets well over 500 resumes to review for certain positions, im pretty sure she would NOT look at a 100 page resume.

Really whats her name? I use to work at the Lawerenceville site for 2.5 years I may know her, espically if she works in HR, which I am assuming she does since she has seen well over 500 resumes and the HR staff is located in Lawerenceville.

The 100+ page resumes are all cvs that are submitted in FDA submissions just telling you what I see granted these people have been working for many years, have their PHD's along with several other notiable publications and so on.

I will keep my 3 page resume seems to do me just fine.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #17
WhiteXFire
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #305

My Ride:
2007 Infiniti G35x, 2008 MB SLK55 AMG

Send a message via AIM to WhiteXFire
Quote:
Really whats her name? I use to work at the Lawerenceville site for 2.5 years I may know her, espically if she works in HR, which I am assuming she does since she has seen well over 500 resumes and the HR staff is located in Lawerenceville.

The 100+ page resumes are all cvs that are submitted in FDA submissions just telling you what I see granted these people have been working for many years, have their PHD's along with several other notiable publications and so on.

I will keep my 3 page resume seems to do me just fine.
You're not crazy, most employers in a technical/professional field are more likely to pass over a 1 page resume with little detail than one several pages long highlighting key accomplishments in relevant past work experiences. Just covering education, skillset, and awards/publications can take more than a page in a lot of cases, and that's before you even get to work experience!

For someone looking to hire in at Walmart, Home Depot, a restaurant, etc, how many relevant things can you possibly add beyond one page?

2004 Chrysler Crossfire - Gone
2007 Infiniti G35x Sedan -

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG -

Last edited by WhiteXFire; 07-09-2008 at 12:36 AM.
WhiteXFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #18
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
One page resumes only. Include a cover letter for any chit chat about yourself.
There is no reason to go over 1 page. If you have that many jobs that you can't list them all, then drop some, most likely showing that you worked for 80 companies in the 25 years you've been working is not an attractive thing for most people looking to hire you. As far as skill set and that stuff, again limit it to relevant info. Don't list references if you are tight on space, just mention they are available upon request.

In all off my experience keeping the resume to one page is the rule.

People loose or misplace 2nd or 3rd pages. Also people don't enjoy reading that much about random people. If you can't give them something that makes them want to call you in for an interview in one page, then you aren't going to be hired, plain and simple.

grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #19
dsturch1
Tri-State Addict

Member #2677

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm View Post
In all off my experience keeping the resume to one page is the rule.

People loose or misplace 2nd or 3rd pages. Also people don't enjoy reading that much about random people. If you can't give them something that makes them want to call you in for an interview in one page, then you aren't going to be hired, plain and simple.
Im glad someone agrees with me....Thats all I have ever heard as well.