TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
02kgeezy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15709

My Ride:
1999 2.5rs/2004 6.0L Powerstroke

Project Powerstroke

We're the Gelsinger's (Kyle, Kurt (brothers) and Ken(father)) a.k.a the founders of TFK Motorsports haha. We've modified/ done maintenance on countless cars out of our garage over the least few years. Anyhow, about a year ago we decided we needed a truck for some work around the house, and as my brothers '99 2.5rs blew a headgasket for the second time we needed something for him to drive. Parked the Subaru, went out and found a mostly stock 1994.5 5spd 4x4 with 173,000 miles. It was very clean and we assumed it had been well maintained and was a good price so we decided to go for it. Stock save an upgraded clutch (no proof or brand known), 3" downpipe, 4" MBRP catback, 33" rims and tires and GlowShift gauges.

Day we got it

Drove it around for a week or so and realized how bad the front alignment had gotten over that time, with serious toe in issues. Further inspection showed lots of loose/sloppy suspension components. We installed new MOOG ball joints, new tie rods and center link, camber bushings and then got a good alignment. Much better! One of the first times out muddin' with it

Drove it for another two weeks when on my way home from school I was rear-ended by a lady in a 2012 Ford Explorer who wasn't paying one bit of attention to driving. Barely owned it for a month and this bs happens:

Had it checked out by insurance and they verified there was no frame damage. Got money from insurance and kept the clean title, maybe this wouldn't turn out so bad after all

With the bed off

Ordered a 4" Rough Country Lift kit with new drag bars and dual steering stabilizers and got a used rust free bed off craigslist

Wheeled it for a while like this since we knew we were going to paint it eventually. So much fun but we got it pretty stuck a few times lol

The old 33's just weren't cutting it anymore, so we got a new set of American Racing 16.5" wheels with 80% tread 35" BFG Mud-Terrains on them. Made the truck look 100x better. Also, Kurt's girlfriend got him a TS-6 Position chip which really woke the truck up on its lower settings.

On Asatauge Island in Ocean City MD

Spray bombed it because we were tired of it being 3-toned

Me (Kyle) and Pops hooking up the jetski to take down to OCMD

50 sheets of 1/2" plywood aint nothin'

Was finally painted Deep Metallic Blue in January 2012

Over the ownership of this truck we've literally touched every surface and replaced just about every minor thing there is to replace. Take alot of pride in how it turned out. It's also gotten us very interested in diesel vehicles, so I'm possibly looking to pick up a TDI to do some work on within the next year.

Unfortunately all things must come to an end, as we picked up a 2002 7.3L Auto 4x4 short bed as it is a much better DD. The '94.5 is for sale currently, and the rest of the journal will continue with the '02.

Bone stock, one owner 2002. 4x4, manual locking hubs, and it drives like a cadillac in comparison lol. Only downside is that it's automatic but it was a very good deal so we went for it

Only things we've done to the '02 so far are 33" tires mounted on the stock wheels and a muffler delete/ side exit. More to come soon after the '94.5 sells
02kgeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Chopper17
Tri-State Addict

Member #7860

My Ride:
If it dont smoke black bring it back!

I got a 01' 6spd F350 and know a lot about these trucks so if you need help let me know. Look into getting a DP tuner or PHP tuner 6 position the next time around they are a lot better tunes. But truck looks good!
Chopper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Looks good so far. In for future updates.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
caldwell
Tri-State Addict

Member #8072

My Ride:
2012 Dodge Ram

4'' or 5'' straight pipe !!! or balls to the walls - stacks !!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
schaffer
Tri-State Addict

Member #16147

My Ride:
2015 Tacoma.

i love the older truck,looks damn clean and id buy it if i hadf the cash/needed it.

cant wait to see the new one...and please,no stacks.
schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
jrtcbmw
Tri-State Addict

Member #1850

My Ride:
F250 6.0Powerstroke, E36 Project Track Car/Drift Car

Send a message via AIM to jrtcbmw
nice looking trucks. i love the obs trucks but the newer (99-04) are so much nicer. kinda helps when i have one too.

"I don’t fail, I succeed at finding what doesn’t work"
jrtcbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Sweet truck man, always loved the older diesel Fords. I will tell you that it isn't the best truck in the mud because it is heavy, but most importantly the ISF aka scissor front end is the killer. The front pumpkin hangs so low it just digs in, same issue I have with my Ranger.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
02kgeezy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15709

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper17 View Post
I got a 01' 6spd F350 and know a lot about these trucks so if you need help let me know. Look into getting a DP tuner or PHP tuner 6 position the next time around they are a lot better tunes. But truck looks good!
Thanks man, I honestly love the tune on the '94, it depends if i decide to get the TS reflashed whether or not it goes on the '02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslow95 View Post
Looks good so far. In for future updates.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell View Post
4'' or 5'' straight pipe !!! or balls to the walls - stacks !!!!
No stacks on the '02, its too classy for that lol. We did have the intentions of doing it on the '94 but aren't since it might effect the sellability. My brother removed the stock muffler on the '02 and ran a new section of pipe that side exits, I kind of doubt we'll replace it because it sounds good and cost us nothing
Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
02kgeezy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15709

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer View Post
i love the older truck,looks damn clean and id buy it if i hadf the cash/needed it.

cant wait to see the new one...and please,no stacks.
See above post lol. Thanks man, its hard to find them in this condition and I've always been partial to this older style

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtcbmw View Post
nice looking trucks. i love the obs trucks but the newer (99-04) are so much nicer. kinda helps when i have one too.
Haha yea, its literally like driving a cadillac in comparison, however the gas mileage has been a huge drop between the two. Guessing it needs a tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
Sweet truck man, always loved the older diesel Fords. I will tell you that it isn't the best truck in the mud because it is heavy, but most importantly the ISF aka scissor front end is the killer. The front pumpkin hangs so low it just digs in, same issue I have with my Ranger.
Yea its no good really off road but we still have fun, its just too damn heavy. Also, note that when you get a truck of this size stuck you need a truck of similar size to pull you out hahah which turned out to be a pain in the ass. The '02 probably wont see any "trail" time
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
jrtcbmw
Tri-State Addict

Member #1850

My Ride:
F250 6.0Powerstroke, E36 Project Track Car/Drift Car

Send a message via AIM to jrtcbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02kgeezy View Post
Haha yea, its literally like driving a cadillac in comparison, however the gas mileage has been a huge drop between the two. Guessing it needs a tuner?

Yes a tuner will really waken that truck up. Tony Wildman is one of the top 7.3 tuners. I know he just started getting his hands in the 6.0, and i have one of them. Id look to him for some tunes for it.

"I don’t fail, I succeed at finding what doesn’t work"
jrtcbmw is offline   Reply With Quote