TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
94integra
Tri-State Addict

Member #7222

My Ride:
93.5 p10

Help...title transfer

Im making a trip up to newark soon to trade cars with someone. I was wondering how I should go about transfering the titles. Does it matter that my titles form PA and his is from NJ? Also would I be able to drive the car back or do I need to take care of insurance first?
94integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
You need to get insurance on it before you can swap titles. As long as the titles are in your name and his name respectively, you'll both need to go to an Auto Tags place and have them do the transfer.
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
94integra
Tri-State Addict

Member #7222

My Ride:
93.5 p10

I was told that we could just sign the back of the title and take care of the insurance some other time? Is that right.
94integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Username
Tri-State Aficionado
Banned

Member #13480

My Ride:
mk4 jetta 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94integra View Post
I was told that we could just sign the back of the title and take care of the insurance some other time? Is that right.
Considering you have a honda (acura) and im assuming that your trading for another honda (or acura) i would go to a title transfer place and just do it right before my car went out of my sight. Thats just me, but i have had 14 cars and i have never once just signed the back of a title and went on my way. Something just seems fishy about doing that and i always feel as if im gonna get ripped off. All you need is an insurance card with your integra listed on it, and your fine. You dont need an insurance card with the new car on it , aslong as your current car has insurance then you should be good.

good luck and be careful... the honda scene can be dangerous when selling/buying.
Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
dubjinc
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4368

My Ride:
93' civic

First you need the vin number of the car you don't own yet to begin insurance coverage before you drive the new car.then if you want to trade titles wihtout doing it at a tags place, you'll need the previous title owner's signature notarized and have a copy of his drivers license, then take that to toplace to get it registered. About driving it back you'll be insured but not registered idk if thats illegal or not but you should have some plate on the car maybe your old one but thats iffy. gl make sure the title is legit and he is the owner and its not stolen or somethin
dubjinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
EBBS_03_Cobra
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #14093

My Ride:
03 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username View Post
Considering you have a honda (acura) and im assuming that your trading for another honda (or acura) i would go to a title transfer place and just do it right before my car went out of my sight. Thats just me, but i have had 14 cars and i have never once just signed the back of a title and went on my way. Something just seems fishy about doing that and i always feel as if im gonna get ripped off. All you need is an insurance card with your integra listed on it, and your fine. You dont need an insurance card with the new car on it , aslong as your current car has insurance then you should be good.

good luck and be careful... the honda scene can be dangerous when selling/buying.
+1. I just don't trust people enough to let them take care of it on their own. I'd rather be really inconvenienced doing a title swap the right way, then loosing sleep hoping it's done at all.
EBBS_03_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

most insurance companies will cover a "new" car for 30 days (may be a couple weeks, not 100% sure).

both my truck and mustang were covered by my policy before they were actually on it.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

You can swap titles without insurance, but you need insurance to get a plate. Most places when you do out of state title transfers will give you a temp registration that lasts for a short time to get it squared away with your state.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
most insurance companies will cover a "new" car for 30 days (may be a couple weeks, not 100% sure).

both my truck and mustang were covered by my policy before they were actually on it.
Same here.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
blkmz3
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4316

My Ride:
2004 Acura TL 6spd

Send a message via AIM to blkmz3
NJ titles do not need to be notarized. PA titles do.
blkmz3 is offline   Reply With Quote