TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Computer Gurus-- why is my computer beeping at me (like a warning system)?

I'm ripping a DVD, and my computer is doing this high-low tone alternating beep... and its coming from the tower. It only happens when I'm ripping the DVD and not when I'm burning it onto a blank disc. If I pause the ripping it stops pretty quickly so its gotta be associated with the DVD drive in one way or another.
Anyone have any clues? Is it a heat issue or a power issue? The computer is a ~2 year old custom built 3.0 Gig P4 with an Abit mobo, 1 gb ram, DVD drive and a DVD burner, and two 250 gb WD harddrives in RAID, and a 36 gb 10k rpm WD harddrive. Cant remember the power source but it think its 400 whatevers... haha.
TIA
Bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|

Last edited by TROLL; 08-03-2006 at 04:24 AM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
gary
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1638

My Ride:
2004 Hyundai Tiburon

Send a message via AIM to gary
Stop burning copyrighted material... haha.

I unfortunately wouldn't know where to start. Maybe consult your abit manual. That is the only thing in your computer with a speaker.

Good luck, maybe someone smarter knows...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:25 AM   #3
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiZiN
Good luck, maybe someone smarter knows...
Nope I couldn't figure it out either
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

maybe its coming from the cd drive itself, try playing a dvd, cd, game cd, etc in there and see if it does it again. Maybe the laser needs to be cleaned and its beeping? maybe something is rubbing against something else in there and causing the sound, dunno.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
R33P3R007
Tri-State Addict

Member #1069

My Ride:
Cobalt SS

the beep is fine.. isn't it the stopping of the beep that yeilds explosive results

2005 Cobalt SS/SC
FOR SALE!!!

Quote:
car looked good, and sounded like this....brrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn brrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaannnn
R33P3R007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
olsookie
Tri-State Addict

Member #806

My Ride:
2013 S4

Send a message via AIM to olsookie Send a message via MSN to olsookie
what prog are you using to burn?

05 Apexi Silver EVO with a bad azz Perrin Antannae
SOLD!
The M has arrived!
and now is SOLD!
Move over M
The X is here!
SOLD!
Jetta TDI - it's all about TQ and Fuel Economy!
olsookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

does it sound like the board is posting? Or is the beep different?
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Bryan, is the beep a constant beep or a series of beeps?

If you're using Nero, try burning at a lower speed. If this doesn't help, google for a program called NeroRegClean, its most likely a software conflict. I've also heard of this on Abit AN7 boards, is that what your board is?

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
Bizee
Tri-State Addict

Member #210

sounds like its obviously your burner.. some drives make different sounds. some sound like helicopter some sound like little beeps..

the reason you only hear it while your ripping the cd is because its spinning much faster to grab the data as fast as you can... if you want the noise to stop try RIPPING it at a slower speed.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
Bizee
Tri-State Addict

Member #210

and if he is ripping a video dvd chances are he is not using nero
Old 08-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

i use Nero 7 Premium to rip video dvds....

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
R33P3R007
Tri-State Addict

Member #1069

My Ride:
Cobalt SS

so do i... ^

2005 Cobalt SS/SC
FOR SALE!!!

Quote:
car looked good, and sounded like this....brrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn brrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaannnn
R33P3R007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

its an Abit IC7-G mobo... and the box to the dvd drive doesnt say what model, unfortunately i'm kinda in a rush this morning so i cant really look for it.
using DVDShrink to rip and Nero to burn... and come on guys, they're just backups!
thanks for the help so far... i've been burning at 2x and thats not the problem, only when its ripping it is the problem, which it does at like 4x-8x which is constantly varying.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #14
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

Send a message via AIM to smoger
if it's an obvious BEEP, then its coming from the internal speaker attached to the motherboard. they beep to give you warnings about all kinds of conditions..

as others have said,.. ripping is a pretty strenuous process, so perhaps there is an issue with excessive current draw while you're ripping. take a look through the manual for your motherboard and see if any of the warnings described match what you are hearing. i doubt its a heat issue but if you want to make sure you could download a temp. program to watch the temps(if your mobo/processor have probes, which i believe most if not all modern ones do)

| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

.. all car enthusiasts are welcome
smoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #15
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
danger to manifold!
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #16
olsookie
Tri-State Addict

Member #806

My Ride:
2013 S4

Send a message via AIM to olsookie Send a message via MSN to olsookie
you better turn the boost down... i think it's going to blow at 2x.... lol

you should try using dvd decrypt w/ dvd shrink

have you check nero for any options it might have to make noises when doing certain functions??

05 Apexi Silver EVO with a bad azz Perrin Antannae
SOLD!
The M has arrived!
and now is SOLD!
Move over M
The X is here!
SOLD!
Jetta TDI - it's all about TQ and Fuel Economy!
olsookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #17
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoger
if it's an obvious BEEP, then its coming from the internal speaker attached to the motherboard. they beep to give you warnings about all kinds of conditions..

as others have said,.. ripping is a pretty strenuous process, so perhaps there is an issue with excessive current draw while you're ripping. take a look through the manual for your motherboard and see if any of the warnings described match what you are hearing. i doubt its a heat issue but if you want to make sure you could download a temp. program to watch the temps(if your mobo/processor have probes, which i believe most if not all modern ones do)
based on what i've seen, this seems to be the case, i'll bust out the manual and see whats up. i got the friggin case with the friggin bigger power supply so i wouldnt have problems like this! bah...

|

Quote:

|
Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #18
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Do you have any motherboard monitoring software installed? Stuff that tells you the temps and voltages. If a threshold isnt where it should be some software will beep at you. I would also make shure all the fans are spinning and heatsinks dust free, could be a heat issue. Ripping may be just enough load to bring out the warning. Is the PC in a cool place? I know its been very hot latley.

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #19
gary
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1638

My Ride:
2004 Hyundai Tiburon

Send a message via AIM to gary
If you think its heat related then run a program called prime95.exe, found on the net, for a couple of minutes. This will tell you if the beeping is heat related or not.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

Send a message via AIM to smoger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL
based on what i've seen, this seems to be the case, i'll bust out the manual and see whats up. i got the friggin case with the friggin bigger power supply so i wouldnt have problems like this! bah...
yeah, bigger is not necesarrily always better, so could be power

| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

.. all car enthusiasts are welcome
smoger is offline   Reply With Quote