TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #161
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Go figure, it's a VW so none of the modding ability makes any god damn sense
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #162
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Hahaha no doubt man.

I'm taking the Jetta on another road trip this week. I'm leaving late tonight and driving through the night with a friend to Deals Gap, hopefully arriving around 7-8am so we have the whole day to explore, rather than leaving tomorrow morning and wasting the day driving. A few of our friends are leaving tomorrow morning with their motorcycles and we'll be meeting them at our airbnb tomorrow evening.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #163
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Wow that's a great time on the VR6! Awesome!

What kind of MPG are you getting on the TDI? I borrowed one for a vacation trip (Sportwagen TDI) and it was ridiculously cheap to run. Averaged 750 miles to the tank and diesel at the time cost only $1.78 i believe. Was one of the best roadtrips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #164
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Yeah, I'm really tickled by how well the R32 ran. It's a heck of a strong car for the weight and the limited injectors/fueling.

Mine is deleted and tuned so I'm getting significantly better mileage. My last three tanks before Deals Gap were 50mpg on the nose, just doing my normal daily commute (mostly highway-ish 55mph but very hilly) and a small amount of running into town a couple times for coffee, the hardware store, to my parents, or whatever. The most impressive to me, though, was running all around Deals Gap, up and down the mountains, beating on it pretty good, I got a 42mpg fillup and a 44mpg fill up strictly while down there ripping around the mountains; i honestly expected 35ish while beating on it. My highway mileage on the deals gap trip, loaded down with some luggage weight, a passenger, and roof rack attachments, was right about 46mpg.

The warm weather and summer fuel are helping my mileage greatly right now. I have a bunch of roof rack attachments on it right now, so I'm expecting to only get 47mpg-ish all summer on my commute. Over the winter with just bare roof bars (no attachments on them at all) I was averaging 43-45 in the cold and with winter fuel. I think if I went bare roof over the summer I could pulled down some consistent 51-52mpg tanks.

The TDIs post-dieselgate fixes aren't doing great on fuel mileage. Most are reporting high 30s-mid 40s max summer mileage, depending on a number of factors.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #165
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Yeah, I'm really tickled by how well the R32 ran. It's a heck of a strong car for the weight and the limited injectors/fueling.

Mine is deleted and tuned so I'm getting significantly better mileage. My last three tanks before Deals Gap were 50mpg on the nose, just doing my normal daily commute (mostly highway-ish 55mph but very hilly) and a small amount of running into town a couple times for coffee, the hardware store, to my parents, or whatever. The most impressive to me, though, was running all around Deals Gap, up and down the mountains, beating on it pretty good, I got a 42mpg fillup and a 44mpg fill up strictly while down there ripping around the mountains; i honestly expected 35ish while beating on it. My highway mileage on the deals gap trip, loaded down with some luggage weight, a passenger, and roof rack attachments, was right about 46mpg.

The warm weather and summer fuel are helping my mileage greatly right now. I have a bunch of roof rack attachments on it right now, so I'm expecting to only get 47mpg-ish all summer on my commute. Over the winter with just bare roof bars (no attachments on them at all) I was averaging 43-45 in the cold and with winter fuel. I think if I went bare roof over the summer I could pulled down some consistent 51-52mpg tanks.

The TDIs post-dieselgate fixes aren't doing great on fuel mileage. Most are reporting high 30s-mid 40s max summer mileage, depending on a number of factors.
Gotta love the TDI. Really hate what happened there.

Very impressive fuel economy. I remember pulling 42mpg or so in the pre-fix 2015 I had. Is it still possible to get a pre-fix TDI in an mk7 chassis or is that long gone you think?

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #166
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

My god, I'd love mileage like that. I'm getting about 14-15mpg in my truck.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #167
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Gotta love the TDI. Really hate what happened there.

Very impressive fuel economy. I remember pulling 42mpg or so in the pre-fix 2015 I had. Is it still possible to get a pre-fix TDI in an mk7 chassis or is that long gone you think?
I think almost all cars are fixed now. There's a few out there that aren't just because owners held onto them instead of selling them back and then never took them in for the retune or whatever.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #168
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

I know it's not for everyone but yes my car is fully deleted. I finally removed the unused DEF tank hanging behind the rear bumper. It hangs on the passenger side of the trunk/passenger frame rail, sandwiched between the spare tire well and the bumper. It was bigger than I expected it to be, honestly. The filler neck is inside the trunk, which is the big hole in the second picture, and a wiring harness that comes down out of the trunk as well. I pulled the harness up into the trunk and the two holes can just be plugged. The DEF line is still under the car, currently zip-tied, until I can remove it completely or find another union downstream to partially remove it.

Def tank by Pat, on Flickr

Left is front of the car, right is rear of the car.
Def tank by Pat, on Flickr
Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #169
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

A couple updates on the Jetta. Nothing special.

MKVI Jetta's didn't get a traction control button from the factory (cost savings or whatever), so I got a button and harness from China or wherever for dirt cheap and installed it and activated it with VCDS. Winter will be much better now with the ability to keep some wheel speed.

Also installed an aftermarket clutch bleeder block, strictly for the benefit of getting rid of the clutch delay valve.

Otherwise, it's just getting the miles piled on from DD duty and lots of road trips this summer. It's consistently pulling 50mpg hand calculated tanks which has been quite nice.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #170
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Also picked up three more of these matching BBS RX wheels, so now I have nine of these wheels, a summer set, a winter set, and a full size spare in the spare tire well. I never posted it, but I also picked up an extremely rough set of 17" BBS RC wheels (rougher than I thought, two are cracked. With other priorities, they'll get repaired later down the road). So my basement is starting to be a total mess of OE BBS wheels.

Untitled by Pat, on Flickr
Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #171
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Welp, my full size spare came in handy. Picked up a nail or something in a tire sometime last week.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #172
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Oh yeah, my brother took the R32 to the race track again this weekend. The car is a pretty consistent high 11 car. He got a new best time of 11.6@117. I'm honestly so so impressed by this car.

However, he said found the limits and the trans couldn't handle the hot laps and went into limp mode or something. The car also runs too hot, so he's thinking hood vents, maybe an oil cooler, and I'm thinking a DSG cooler, too. Oh, and we need to get meth on the car, too, and band-aid it to 20lbs and hopefully go under 11.4-11.5. Who knows, hopefully with some colder fall air and meth it can go bottom 11s.

At this point I'm unsure how long the clutches are going to hold up with all this abuse.

68881792_10100909399922782_719994857073934336_n by Pat, on Flickr
Old 09-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #173
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Jetta update. Installed a receiver as I get ready for the long trip back to Daytona this winter. Also got a real catback because my muffler delete was ****ing garbage.
I'm already well into the planning stage for my return trip to Daytona. I plan to carry a cargo rack on the receiver (or possibly a small utility trailer depending on space requirements/passengers). I'm also going to buy a cargo box for the roof rack for added space.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #174
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

You snowbirding?
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #175
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Nah, haha, just going to the 24 hour race again.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #176
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

I ran this Sears X-Cargo box on my first gen xB a few years back. It was made by thule, and less than half the price. Highly recommended if you can find one used. had enough space for my daughters huge useless stroller, her huge overfilled diaper bag, and a bunch of other crap.

photobucket link didnt work for ****. gonna just upload it as an attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof box xb.jpg (37.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Big_Jim; 09-24-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Big_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #177
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Welp, another update on the R32. My brother was back at the track today for one last try. The car is pretty much gutted and roughly 3500lbs with driver now. He got a new personal best 60', ET, trap speed. He had numerous 1.6 60s. His best pass was 11.47@117. He finally got below the 11.5 mark which is pretty sick, I think. He had several passes right around 11.5. His first pass of the day was before the track was prepped, he spun through the 60', only went 12.2 but trapped 120mph which is so sick. His second pass came together super well start to finish and he went 11.5@119, another sick pass. And then a few passes later did the 11.47@117 pass. Once again, this car surprised me and I can't believe how well it has done at the drag strip this year. I'm guessing the DA was pretty dang good today considering it was only 62ish degrees ambient.

VIDEO:
MKV 08 VW R32T Turbo 1/4 Mile 11.47

Last edited by mckpat03; 10-14-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #178
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

That's a pretty good pass
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #179
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Pretty solid!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #180
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Yeah, we're beyond happy with it. It exceeded every expectation I ever had for it. The weight reduction, I think, was the biggest factor. But still, at 3500 lbs, and only little baby 550 injectors, it was making good power, regardless of how reliable it may be at the extremely high duty cycle.

I think it could go bottom 11s at maybe 122-123 with water/meth bandaided on top to pad the AFR. But realistically it just needs more injector and pump to run 20lbs of boost or more. And even then, the rods are probably gonna start thinking about packing up and heading south with much anymore than 20-22lbs.