TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Need to find a place to recharge my air conditioning with R12

I'm trying to find a place to recharge the air conditioning in the Supra with the original R12 refrigerant. They're not completely extinct, but they're sure not plentiful so I figured I'd reach out to see if anyone on here knew specifically about it.
Does anyone know of a place in the Philly area that does this?

edit: i r dumb. thought my car was r12 but its not, its r134a so i actually dont need this but the thread does have some good info in it!

Last edited by TROLL; 07-31-2009 at 02:12 AM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
240sxDann
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1229

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to 240sxDann
I don't know if your just trying to keep it original or what but they do make kits to convert to R134A, if your interested in doing that. They are fairly cheap and make getting charged a lot easier. If your just specifically looking for a place to do R12 though, good luck. I know, like you said, they are getting hard to find.
If you find a woman with zero drama issues or emotional baggage, check for a scar where her penis used to be.
Quote:
i finger myself to latin jazz sometimes
240sxDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

From another Forum it was discussed in a F150 forum but still stuff to keep in mind
Quote:
R12 and R134a are not directly compatable. Like all "safer" alternatives R134a isn't as good as the original it replaces(Light beer and Diet Coke are other examples). Systems that run on 134a have a compressor that is 12-18% larger because of reduced thermal efficiency, but since you probably don't want a class in the thermodynamic qualities of fluids at varing temps and pressures here's the dope:

If you have in fact repaired the leak that caused the R12 to get away in the first place you should be able to use 134a. You will have to evacuate the system and drain all the oil. From what I understand the fittings on the 134a systems may not mate up to an R12 (on purpose so you can't mix them), so you may have to replace the drier with a 134a compatable one. After you do what you have to and refill with 134a and 134a oil the system should work, just not quite as well as it did before.

Quote:
I asked an air cond. mech about changing over from R12 in an older F150 and was told the R12 hoses are too porous for R134A. I was told the compressor would handle the job but all hoses had to be changed. The 134a hoses have an extra layer to prevent leakage. Just my 2 cents.
So I would ask around about the Supra hoses to make sure the same thing doesn't happen.

IF all else fails: Ebay List

Last edited by AutobahnRacer; 07-28-2009 at 06:07 PM.
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
The fittings on an R134a system are just snap on. R12 systems use a thread valve stem.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

I think Troll would rather stick to R12, I would too, but by the looks of it go ebay, and do it yourself. R134 doesn't seem worth the potential risk to me
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
OMGz Turbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3108

My Ride:
01' WS6..That whistles...01' Explorer 5.slow

Okay i dont know where you guys are getting this, 134a doesnt need any special lines or anything else...All refrigerants are ALL the same, some just operate in a super subcooled state while others are superheated at room temp.

The reason the fittings are different is because with time, everything changes. They just felt the "new" style was less prone to leaking, thats the reason for the change. But now they are "Required" By law.

And R12 and 134A have similar temp to pressure propertys, which is why you dont need to change lines.

Recover old R12, Remove old oil-drier filter, replace with 134A one, Install new style valves, Make sure system holds vaccum for 5 minutes. Apply 134A decal, and then recharge system...Its USUALLY 10% less then the charge of R12

NO ONE CARES ABOUT BEING TTT APPROVED
OMGz Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Conversions aren't always THAT easy, not that they are hard either. You usually have to replace the O-rings, fittings, and sometimes a compressor but not very often.

Its pretty damn easy but r12 is known to blow colder I believe.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

134a and 12 are a bit different, but not much. 12 does blow colder. Blah blah blah.

The conversion is easy and it's cheaper in the long run.

I do, however, have 2 of those bigass 5gal drums of R12 in a shed somewhere. R12 is expensive.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

R12 reacts to heat a lot better than R134 does. If you're converting the system then its advised to change the dryer, expansion valve, and seals. You don't have to do it, but why half ass?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Send a message via AIM to ThePrimerSuspect
i thought 12 lasted forever and thats why it was deemed unsafe for the environment. thats why they came up with 134. i notice that on cars with 134 they have to be recharged every couple years, but older cars (as long as theres no leak) will blow cold with 12 forever. there is an alternative called "freeze 12" thats supposed to be a replacement for r12, but i dont think i ever heard of anyone using it. but, i do recall when i worked for philly honda we had both machines. but i have no idea if they still have it, that was 3 years ago. either way expect to pay an arm and a leg for 12.
ThePrimerSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrimerSuspect View Post
either way expect to pay an arm and a leg for 12.
Arm and legs were payment 3 years ago. I believe it's up to your first born and your soul.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrimerSuspect View Post
i thought 12 lasted forever and thats why it was deemed unsafe for the environment. thats why they came up with 134. i notice that on cars with 134 they have to be recharged every couple years, but older cars (as long as theres no leak) will blow cold with 12 forever. there is an alternative called "freeze 12" thats supposed to be a replacement for r12, but i dont think i ever heard of anyone using it. but, i do recall when i worked for philly honda we had both machines. but i have no idea if they still have it, that was 3 years ago. either way expect to pay an arm and a leg for 12.
R12 still leaks out, no hose is perfect. That is one of the reason why it was deemed unsafe. Freeze 12 is an alternative, but you have to evac all the old R12 and then pump in the Freeze 12; otherwise goodbye compressor. My Honda still has R12. It was last filled up 7 years ago. I had it serviced a month ago and it took a can..that is normal in my book considering the A/C went through Louisiana and Texas heat for those 7 years.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Ok so I might settle and convert to R134a, but everything I've read indicates it will leak out faster so I'll have to get the AC recharged more regularly. I guess if it lasts a couple years at a clip thats ok, just dont want to have to deal with this 2x a year or anything, thats all.
So after talking to Coastal Radiator, they recommended getting a new dryer either way and said to just search online to get one, but I have no idea where to go for this... anyone know where I can find one? Initial google results werent helpful. Thanks...
Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
Ok so I might settle and convert to R134a, but everything I've read indicates it will leak out faster so I'll have to get the AC recharged more regularly. I guess if it lasts a couple years at a clip thats ok, just dont want to have to deal with this 2x a year or anything, thats all.
So after talking to Coastal Radiator, they recommended getting a new dryer either way and said to just search online to get one, but I have no idea where to go for this... anyone know where I can find one? Initial google results werent helpful. Thanks...
I haven't noticed the new stuff leak any more then the older stuff does. I do belive that the old stuff on the older cars is better just for the fact it is more effecient. New cars have better AC systems that compensate for the R34. I doubt the difference will be enoguh to justify paying the markup on the old stuff though
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

Delete it. AC is for girls.
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 =:No, it's not for sale.:=
bl@ckvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #16
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Well I'm not going to change all the seals (including under the dash) because that would be a crazy amt of work... so my system isn't made to seal the R134a in properly which is why it will leak at a faster rate than R12 would (or than R134a would in a system made for it). Thats the real reason I wanted to do R12, because its the 'proper' way to do it and a long term solution, and not a temporary fix. Just didn't want to deal with repeatedly filling with R134a but we'll see how it goes I guess.
I'm just going to change the dryer and the fittings and take it to a shop to pull a good vacuum, test for leaks, and charge it up. But yeah if anyone knows where to get the dryer, lemme know! Thanks...
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

You guys want to hear something funny? Although my car is a 94, apparently they were ahead of the times (on a lot of things apparently), and I just talked to a big Toyota parts supplier who informed me that my car is already R134a. Wow... not sure where I got it in my head that it was R12 but uh... doh. Anyway thats good news and simplifies things quite a bit... I feel like a dumbass though.
Good thread with good info though

And a side note... I took the targa off last night when I was cruising around doing a little tuning. I still think the car looks goofy like that, but damn the extra airflow is nice. It only took me a few minutes of standing there like a dummy figuring out how to get the targa mounted in the hatch too, I'm getting better at it, haha.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Nors
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2210

My Ride:
2011 VW GTI

Send a message via AIM to Nors
Thats awesome. Saves alot of trouble. Not sure what you were talking about not finding the receiver dryer on Google, found results instantly. 'bout $20.
2002 Volkswagen GTi - Sold |1995 Honda Accord - Sold | 1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Project - Sold | 1996 Acura Integra RS - Sold
Nors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quite a few 94's have had 134a.

Guess I can't charge you your soul now for some of my R12. ****. What am I gonna do with it all?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
OMGz Turbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3108

My Ride:
01' WS6..That whistles...01' Explorer 5.slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SL2_Modder View Post
Quite a few 94's have had 134a.

Guess I can't charge you your soul now for some of my R12. ****. What am I gonna do with it all?
R12 isnt that expensive, its about 150$ a bottle

NO ONE CARES ABOUT BEING TTT APPROVED
OMGz Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote