TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #101
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Rip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #102
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
I dunno. ****ty situation man
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #103
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I dunno. ****ty situation man
https://jalopnik.com/curtain-airbags...ing-1831869262

Yup might as well help others know

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #104
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Glad to see it go public and see everyone with much the same opinion. GM sucks ass and their warranty folks are a ****ing joke.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #105
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Glad to see it go public and see everyone with much the same opinion. GM sucks ass and their warranty folks are a ****ing joke.
The process for Jalopnik was simple, I've reached out to Motor Authority now and will email several other sites too. Any suggestions?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #106
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
The process for Jalopnik was simple, I've reached out to Motor Authority now and will email several other sites too. Any suggestions?
The Truth About Cars, Autoblog... Not sure what else off the top of my head
Old 01-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #107
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Posted a reply about it after it hit the Camaro forum:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546519

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #108
elff
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21338

I loved my Sky, but GM is a such POS company. I'll never own another product of theirs.

First they had the Ignition recall which they knew about for more than a decade before they got busted for it. People actually died.
Saturn Sky's, Pontiac Solstices, and the Opel GT variation all had an issue with the passenger Airbag sensor. GM recalled the same part on all other GM vehicles that had it but said FU to all Sky and Solstice owners.

It took a private citizen to open a case with the NHSTA to have an investigation opened, and now 11 years later they are addressing it.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-po...car-1830938474
and a little more background
http://www.kappaperformance.com/foru...c,11260.0.html

http://b17queenofthesky.com/Sky/resr...t_20160209.pdf

Looks like Chevy trucks have a similar issue to your Camaro.
https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-color...ing-1828951213

my
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #109
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
The Truth About Cars, Autoblog... Not sure what else off the top of my head
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ing-the-party/

It’s happening

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #110
elff
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21338

I think you should lawyer up. This is bull****. GM needs to be out of business.

my
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
Old 01-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #111
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by elff View Post
I loved my Sky, but GM is a such POS company. I'll never own another product of theirs.

First they had the Ignition recall which they knew about for more than a decade before they got busted for it. People actually died.
Saturn Sky's, Pontiac Solstices, and the Opel GT variation all had an issue with the passenger Airbag sensor. GM recalled the same part on all other GM vehicles that had it but said FU to all Sky and Solstice owners.

It took a private citizen to open a case with the NHSTA to have an investigation opened, and now 11 years later they are addressing it.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-po...car-1830938474
and a little more background
http://www.kappaperformance.com/foru...c,11260.0.html

http://b17queenofthesky.com/Sky/resr...t_20160209.pdf

Looks like Chevy trucks have a similar issue to your Camaro.
https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-color...ing-1828951213

Didn’t have time to write a full reply earlier but wanted to thank you for providing some history into other GM **** ups.

Yeah, I think there is something here with their airbag deployment strategy for sure. The car had no damage to it anywhere other than a scuff on the tire itself.

It’s ridiculous. Thankfully, I didn’t report it to insurance or the police so the repair doesn’t appear on the car fax.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #112
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I think you should lawyer up. This is bull****. GM needs to be out of business.
Have any recommendations?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 AM   #113
elff
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21338

Unfortunately no, but maybe going the NHSTA route like the guy on the Sky forum did would be an idea.
GM can’t dismiss them.

I bet the guy who did this for the passenger airbag sensor could give you some pointers on how to submit it.

my
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
Old 01-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #114
elff
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21338

Wtf

it looks like they are repairing this issue for the trucks??

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-will-...fro-1830317992

Why wouldnt this cover your car?

my
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
Old 01-21-2019, 11:07 PM   #115
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Wtf

it looks like they are repairing this issue for the trucks??

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-will-...fro-1830317992

Why wouldnt this cover your car?
Because GM sucks?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #116
elff
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21338

Truth!!!

Fyi. I love my 4C and I can also attest to the new Miata and Fiat 124 are extremely reliable and fun cars.
The Fiat has the advantage of a Turbo engine compared to the Miata.

I know these are not 650hp+ beasts but maybe they will fill your car desires especially if you want to continue Auto Crossing.
Its hard to top a miata in AutoCross fun levels

my
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
Old 01-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #117
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Unfortunately no, but maybe going the NHSTA route like the guy on the Sky forum did would be an idea.
GM can’t dismiss them.

I bet the guy who did this for the passenger airbag sensor could give you some pointers on how to submit it.
I'll try that, thank you!

In the meantime, i've submitted my story to a law firm. Will update if I hear back (it's going to take them awhile).

The car is fun to drive, but I don't like having thoughts about the safety systems in the car while I'm out driving it.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #118
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Truth!!!

Fyi. I love my 4C and I can also attest to the new Miata and Fiat 124 are extremely reliable and fun cars.
The Fiat has the advantage of a Turbo engine compared to the Miata.

I know these are not 650hp+ beasts but maybe they will fill your car desires especially if you want to continue Auto Crossing.
Its hard to top a miata in AutoCross fun levels
Miata is definitely on my list and I really like how the Fiat 124 looks too.

Power is something I'll take a step back from (hard not to from 650), and something smaller would be nice too.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #119
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

So with how upside down I am on the car, it’s going to be staying in the garage for a good year longer or so. Thanks depreciation!

First world problems

In the meantime, the horrible bog that the car had starting from a stop in first or reverse seems to be completely gone after that long stay at the dealership!

The 2019’s supposedly had the bog fixed and I’m wondering if a software update was applied on my car during its lengthy stay.

Anecdotally, the exhaust on the 2019’s pops a lot more and I’m finding mine to be doing an amount of popping it never did before too. Sounds pretty cool. Maybe, just maybe GM finally fixed the bog problem!

Edit: I know for sure now that the SDM was replaced, which would require the battery to be disconnected. This would clear the ECU and force a reset. It's possible fuel trims were cleared and now the car is ok? Odd.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 02-26-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #120
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I'm hopeful they loaded the '19 tune because that was supposedly significantly better... I would imagine they'd do it if you asked for a small fee anyway, unless there's a TSB to do it if the customer complains. Other manufacturers do that, I don't know about GM.