TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 10-27-2020, 12:11 AM   #861
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
that Mk2 damn!

Gauge cluster is pretty baller too, I too love those flat trim rings for the gauges.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #862
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
that Mk2 damn!

Gauge cluster is pretty baller too, I too love those flat trim rings for the gauges.
I felt guilty sitting in the Supra it was so nice! He couldn’t find a way to enjoy the car without considering the mileage/condition, so he bought a “driver” to enjoy.

The trim rings really made a huge difference. Almost gives the cluster a vintage Porsche vibe.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #863
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
He couldn’t find a way to enjoy the car without considering the mileage/condition, so he bought a “driver” to enjoy.
This is why i somewhat prefer rougher drivers. You can enjoy it so much more.

My FIL has 2 pristine late 60's MG. I hate driving/being around those cars, I won't even want to fart in the seat, LOL.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #864
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
This is why i somewhat prefer rougher drivers. You can enjoy it so much more.

My FIL has 2 pristine late 60's MG. I hate driving/being around those cars, I won't even want to fart in the seat, LOL.
Yep, all of my cars have just enough "hoopty" in them to allow me the peace of mind to enjoy them without much worry. My pops still has his restored shelby vert sitting in the garage that he's maybe driven 5 times since he's finished it in the late 80s? I just don't see the point, because it's more or less just a stressor that he doesn't get any enjoyment out of.

As "valuable" as the M3 is, I really am excited to at least get it on the road eventually and enjoy it for what it was designed to do. It has a meh repaint so there's not much to hurt.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:25 PM   #865
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I don't have a perfect RX-8 and that's awesome. I don't care about the paint too much but I'll still wash and wax it. Driver status is the ****ing best.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:28 PM   #866
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Or sell me the M3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:14 AM   #867
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
I don't have a perfect RX-8 and that's awesome. I don't care about the paint too much but I'll still wash and wax it. Driver status is the ****ing best.
Yes it is indeed! Unless you’re one of the rare folks who can thrash a perfect car without worry, driver status is the only way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
Or sell me the M3
Pay up and shes yours, you even get a $3 TST discount
Old 10-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #868
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Well talk outside of this thread

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #869
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
Wait a stinking minute.

I get dibs on the m3 first ;)
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #870
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
Well talk outside of this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
Wait a stinking minute.

I get dibs on the m3 first ;)
That’s true, empera was first in line!

I got a Covid test and came home for Turkey Day, and upon arrival the Scoob started overheating pretty bad. I couldnt find the source of the overheating after much diagnosis, and then I found a crack in the exterior of the block where combustion is bubbling out of a cooling passage......RIP. Have no idea what I’m going to do now. If I could find a ‘21 6sp TRD off-road taco I’d probably buy it, but can’t leave another inop vehicle at my rents house.

Things always stay interesting!

Check the video of the bubbles....

https://flic.kr/p/2kaMN8h
Old 11-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #871
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
That’s true, empera was first in line!

I got a Covid test and came home for Turkey Day, and upon arrival the Scoob started overheating pretty bad. I couldnt find the source of the overheating after much diagnosis, and then I found a crack in the exterior of the block where combustion is bubbling out of a cooling passage......RIP. Have no idea what I’m going to do now. If I could find a ‘21 6sp TRD off-road taco I’d probably buy it, but can’t leave another inop vehicle at my rents house.

Things always stay interesting!

Check the video of the bubbles....

https://flic.kr/p/2kaMN8h
Nothing some PC7 couldnt fix

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #872
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Nothing some PC7 couldnt fix
Already on it- took a successful 5hr test drive yesterday to MD to pick up a new bike! I have confidence that I can limp it back to Indiana where I can do the engine once and for all.

Rather than build this one for obvious reasons, I am going to get a new OE prebuilt Subaru shortblock and just get my heads done and toss them on that.

My 5sp trans is getting crazy loud and hard to shift into 2nd, so I’m also keeping an eye out for a 6sp that I can swap in on the cheap with a WRX rear diff so I don’t have to do the subframes and brakes.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #873
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I *finally* found a replacement for the Scoob, and while most probably won't like it, it was exactly what I needed.

I needed:

-Something that tows better than the Forester
-Similar Gas Mileage (22ish highway)
-Manual Trans
-$10Kish is my used car spending limit internally
-Something somewhat interesting
-Something RELIABLE and simple that will allow me the time to focus on the bizz and not be my own full time mechanic

After years of not finding the *right* replacement, I stumbled on the Xterra Pro4x, 6sp. This model is the top of their Xterra line and comes with skid plates, Bilsteins, locking diff, and a nicer interior than the standard models. The dark gray of mine is (IMO) the only color they released these in that doesn't look hideous. They had timing chain issues up until '10 due to a worn forging causing sharp chain edges that wore through tensioner guides, so I needed to find an '11-'15. I got discouraged that most of these things were 20K in manual, and then a mint, one owner car came up 20mins from my parents house way under market value, and the rest was history! I had to head back to IN, so I gave my dad some cash and he went to check it out and put a deposit down on the vehicle. The Scoob barely made it back with me to Indiana with the head gaskets pumping combustion into the cooling system.

I'm going to reseal the ej255 in the Fozz, clean it up a bit, and sell her now that I have secured her replacement.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 12-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #874
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I like the Xterras a lot, especially first gen but that's a badass find.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #875
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
I like the Xterras a lot, especially first gen but that's a badass find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanX View Post
That's a neat looking Xterra! Nice
Thanks, gents. My Pops got bored and decided to do some major reconnaissance on the Xterra while it was home before I pick it up. I sure as hell don't have time for it, so I'm thankful that he took the project on, and it got him stoked on cars again for a minute. He found the radio didn't work (premium sound, common issue), interior/engine bay were just spit shined, frame was in really nice shape, but needed coating, etc etc.

I ordered some Weathertech Mats, a new OEM leather shift knob, and a Sony XAV-AX5000 double-din setup with Apple Carplay to give the car a bit of a fresh flavor. I got the Crutchfield stuff to retain all of the steering wheel controls and whatnot as well. Also got some rear hatch struts, as the old ones called it quits about 3/4 of the way up.

He pulled the wheels off, put the car up, cleaned the undercarriage, and then coated the frame and wheel wells in our favorite RP-342 cosmoline. He also painted the calipers with POR-caliper paint and detailed the engine bay.

Needless to say, I am grateful for his assistance with this project.

Also did some major garage organization over the past few weekends, got my blaster set up, and am turning it back into a workable space which hopefully will mean BMW progress soon. Running airlines using RapidAir stuff next week. Got a handy tire rack, if you don't have one of these, it saves hella space.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #876
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I got a few unexpected days off, so I have committed myself to getting Linda back on the road with the 3.1L which means..... lots to do.

Got the rest of the studs installed in the head, assembled a lot of small crap like the flywheel and clutch. Went with the RHD 7lb flywheel, a stock Sachs disc, and a Sachs 618 PP. I also fit the IJ Teflon Scraper. One of the rocker shafts wasn't perfectly aligned in the head, glad I caught that.

I'm going to fire it up on a stock ECU for now and then convert over to Megasquirt later- I am still a bit stressed by that process, as I don't know exactly what fine print I have to do to get it running on the MS unit outside of the basics. Don't mind my engine assembly room, ie, a space I cleared in front of the car. I had to literally dig the car out from piles of parts to work on it. Too much stuff, not enough time.

I hope to get it running tomorrow, but we'll see. I've been robbing spare parts for all of these other cars that come through/leave that I am missing a few bits here and there that I may have to pull from one of the parts cars.

I took the time to get my sandblasting setup going so I could refinish the necessary pieces on the engine. Just went with a bright silver for simplicity. I'm letting them cure inside until tomorrow before I put them on.

Oh, and for those who thought I was kidding about having to dig out Linda, here's proof. It is so stressful working in a garage this full.

Engine going in:

Aaaaaand she's home. Got the transmission bits buttoned up as well. It feels so good to shift through the gears, even on jack stands.

Refinished engine bits:

​​​​​​​Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 12-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #877
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
Awesome work as always man.

Still waiting on that m3 to be put up for sale lol

Quote:
I got a few unexpected days off, so I have committed myself to getting Linda back on the road with the 3.1L which means..... lots to do.

Got the rest of the studs installed in the head, assembled a lot of small crap like the flywheel and clutch. Went with the RHD 7lb flywheel, a stock Sachs disc, and a Sachs 618 PP. I also fit the IJ Teflon Scraper. One of the rocker shafts wasn't perfectly aligned in the head, glad I caught that.

I'm going to fire it up on a stock ECU for now and then convert over to Megasquirt later- I am still a bit stressed by that process, as I don't know exactly what fine print I have to do to get it running on the MS unit outside of the basics. Don't mind my engine assembly room, ie, a space I cleared in front of the car. I had to literally dig the car out from piles of parts to work on it. Too much stuff, not enough time.

I hope to get it running tomorrow, but we'll see. I've been robbing spare parts for all of these other cars that come through/leave that I am missing a few bits here and there that I may have to pull from one of the parts cars.

I took the time to get my sandblasting setup going so I could refinish the necessary pieces on the engine. Just went with a bright silver for simplicity. I'm letting them cure inside until tomorrow before I put them on.

Oh, and for those who thought I was kidding about having to dig out Linda, here's proof. It is so stressful working in a garage this full.

Engine going in:

Aaaaaand she's home. Got the transmission bits buttoned up as well. It feels so good to shift through the gears, even on jack stands.

Refinished engine bits:

​​​​​​​Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:38 PM   #878
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
Awesome work as always man.

Still waiting on that m3 to be put up for sale lol
Thanks, man!

And I’ll never list a formal ad for the M3 because I don’t particularly want to sell it, and the longer I let it sit the more people go crazy over them!

If I sell it before getting to the project it’ll be a word of mouth “if someone I know wants it more than I do I’ll sell it” types of deals.

Edit: After reminding me that I still owned the M3 I realized that I brought this thing home exactly four years ago! Dec 30, 2016. Happy four years, honey. I'm sorry I've neglected you. Your day will come soon.

IMG_1871 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by blue91lx; 12-31-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #879
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

More progress this evening. I decided to give parts a deserving makeover which is taking more time, but I think it'll be worthwhile. Also got my r134 conversion started and ordered my last piece to that puzzle (late model switch for the denso compressor)

Old 01-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #880
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

She runs! (and sounds pretty rowdy)

Click to see: