TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #41
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:
'68 Kaiser M715/ '37 Ford truck/'47 Dodge truck

http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

Check out the link. You will find block and head casting number locations and what they are. Check BOTH heads to make sure they match....30+ years and how many owners later, anything can happen.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
poolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #42
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Nice, I'll give them a look this weekend.

I'll probably look to get summit racing on the phone and talk to someone about what I've got and where I'm going with it and get a list of everything I should need to get the supercharger kit on and get the engine running efficiently with it
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #43
Danronian
Tri-State Addict

Member #1826

My Ride:
1995 Honda Civic Vx, 1975 Malibu

That part number lookup should be a big help, but don't discount the pistons being swapped out as well since it does appear to be a modified motor, and higher compression pistons are quite cheap for the 350.

Hopefully it turns out to be a replaced longblock with a somewhat recent one, and that would probably tell you it's untouched, but the old-style valve cover bolts (not the center-hole ones) hints to it being a pre-80s motor.

I've heard summit is a helpful tech resource, so hopefully they point you in the right direction. The only complaint I have about summit is the bolt kits they sell are junk. I tried them for my intake manifold and headers, and most of the stripped.... Only go with ARPs for the bolt kits (and small bolt heads are SO helpfuly for working around headers and to get to some of the intake manifold bolts).
you know what i hate? The way most people in this thread drive. [...] You're all F*cking retarded. I hope you all burn in hell. Seriously, mature a little and wise up [...] Unless you have a dying loved one in the back there is no need to sustain a speed of 85mph. You sound like a bunch of 16 year old kids in their mommy's volvo wagon. Congrats, you fail miserably.
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #44
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
That part number lookup should be a big help, but don't discount the pistons being swapped out as well since it does appear to be a modified motor, and higher compression pistons are quite cheap for the 350.

Hopefully it turns out to be a replaced longblock with a somewhat recent one, and that would probably tell you it's untouched, but the old-style valve cover bolts (not the center-hole ones) hints to it being a pre-80s motor.

I've heard summit is a helpful tech resource, so hopefully they point you in the right direction. The only complaint I have about summit is the bolt kits they sell are junk. I tried them for my intake manifold and headers, and most of the stripped.... Only go with ARPs for the bolt kits (and small bolt heads are SO helpfuly for working around headers and to get to some of the intake manifold bolts).
I was told the motor was taken out of a '71 camaro. As far as pistons go... yeah, no idea. The previous owner made no mention...

So far, the name of this truck seems to be "Frankentruck".. the frame from a '72 c/10, the body of a '69 c/10 and an engine from a '71 camaro.

ideally, whats going to happen is I'll have the engine rebuilt and have the internals and heads replaced with something that will support the supercharger when i get that. I just need to find a good shop that won't dick me over and who knows what they're doing.

Or find a spot in poolmike's garage and I can learn how to rebuild an engine from him lol
Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #45
Danronian
Tri-State Addict

Member #1826

My Ride:
1995 Honda Civic Vx, 1975 Malibu

Thankfully finding shops who know how to work on chevy motors should be damn easy! Unlike finding someone who knows what's up with an import motor.

That does sound like the best plan. Upgrading to some forged rods and pistons and a rebuild should make the motor be able to handle a LOT more power, and hopefully not cost you too much.
you know what i hate? The way most people in this thread drive. [...] You're all F*cking retarded. I hope you all burn in hell. Seriously, mature a little and wise up [...] Unless you have a dying loved one in the back there is no need to sustain a speed of 85mph. You sound like a bunch of 16 year old kids in their mommy's volvo wagon. Congrats, you fail miserably.
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #46
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
What kind of engine are you planning on putting between the fenders?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #47
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96integraLS View Post
What kind of engine are you planning on putting between the fenders?
keeping the 350 there
Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #48
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Well good luck with the build. Should be one badass build when its all done.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #49
Rev. Maynard
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #578

My Ride:
92 BMW E34

Send a message via AIM to Rev. Maynard Send a message via Yahoo to Rev. Maynard
Nice truck man! Good luck with it. My 67 is currently awaiting a trans swap at JNZ. I had a TH350 to go in since the 700R is shot but I didn't have the right TC so I'm waiting for the new one. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Rev. Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #50
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

I've been told to go with a TH350 to make the truck a bit more streetable... its kinda funny to be cruising around at 40mph and still in first gear though lol
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #51
Rev. Maynard
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #578

My Ride:
92 BMW E34

Ya I guess it depends on how fast you want to go in a 40 year old truck. I wouldn't want to go over 50 in mine w/ the non-power drums all around.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #52
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Maynard View Post
Ya I guess it depends on how fast you want to go in a 40 year old truck. I wouldn't want to go over 50 in mine w/ the non-power drums all around.
I've already decided that power disc brakes will be the first thing to happen to this truck.

its a damn workout having to keep your foot planted at a red light to keep the truck from moving...
Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #53
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:

Hopefully I will see you at the meet tomorrow night. If it were my truck, I would toss the 350 and find a big block. I have had the small block trucks, and replaced them with big blocks. There is no comparison with that size vehicle. You need long stroke grunt to move that much iron. My '72 long bed with a 350 couldn't get out of it's own way. A nice mild 402 with a TH350/10"converter and 4.10 gears(gas was cheap at the time) put me into mid 12s with little effort on 89 octane, driven(smoky tire fires in front of Hopper's house) every day.

If it is a trailing arm rear suspension, I will box them for you. It NEEDS to be done!! I broke my left trailing arm and that resulted in a cracked axle housing from drum to drum! Ditch your front sway bar and install a rear sway bar. The truck will handle great and have better weight transfer at launch. I have a whole list of stuff for you to do. It just takes time and money and time and money and time and money and time and money.................
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #54
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

There's my frankenchevy. 1952 1/2 ton w/ 1972 camaro 350. Also has the two-speed tranny so she doesn't move so well.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #55
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:

Also, I will be going to Shorty's tomorrow. I will see if I can locate a disc brake and axle donor truck.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #56
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmike View Post
Hopefully I will see you at the meet tomorrow night. If it were my truck, I would toss the 350 and find a big block. I have had the small block trucks, and replaced them with big blocks. There is no comparison with that size vehicle. You need long stroke grunt to move that much iron. My '72 long bed with a 350 couldn't get out of it's own way. A nice mild 402 with a TH350/10"converter and 4.10 gears(gas was cheap at the time) put me into mid 12s with little effort on 89 octane, driven(smoky tire fires in front of Hopper's house) every day.

If it is a trailing arm rear suspension, I will box them for you. It NEEDS to be done!! I broke my left trailing arm and that resulted in a cracked axle housing from drum to drum! Ditch your front sway bar and install a rear sway bar. The truck will handle great and have better weight transfer at launch. I have a whole list of stuff for you to do. It just takes time and money and time and money and time and money and time and money.................
you've obviously done this before ;) so I'll take your opinions to heart. We gotta get together and talk about this project more indepth
Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #57
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmike View Post
Also, I will be going to Shorty's tomorrow. I will see if I can locate a disc brake and axle donor truck.
good call.

I've never done that much work to a vehicle, so I was going to go with new stuff w/ instructions lol.

I'll get the truck inspected by someone soon and if you find a donor let me know... we'll figure out a time to meet up and do the work if you're interested in turning some wrenches with me.

Oh, and as far as a big block goes... I'd seriously love a 454...

Last edited by Scapegoat; 03-31-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #58
Rev. Maynard
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #578

My Ride:
92 BMW E34

If you can find a good BB, go for it. I had a 1511 block 400sbc I was going to put in my last Blazer. Bought it for 200$ complete and running. If you look around you can find some nice engines, depending on what you want to spend.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #59
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Maynard View Post
If you can find a good BB, go for it. I had a 1511 block 400sbc I was going to put in my last Blazer. Bought it for 200$ complete and running. If you look around you can find some nice engines, depending on what you want to spend.
$200 beats 10k for a turnkey crate 454 lol

I'll be in touch with my uncle, as he knows a ton of people... I remember hearing something about a 700hp racing motor that runs on 110 that was for sale... Though, I'd really need to tune that down for 92-93
Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #60
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:

I'll be in touch with a friend of mine. He had a complete 454 for around $1000 a few months back. I will see if he still has it.

There are other powerful options that would be easy to install. A 12 valve Cummins in that truck would run it's azz off. A NOTHING says grunt like a 500 inch big block pimpin' Caddy engine with a TH400 bolted to it. And you can score those engines cheap! Usually with an Eldorado attached to it.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road