TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
mckpat's 2008 R32 Turbo and other adventures

Intro:
After being out of a fun car for a few years, I decided to get back into one. I had a V8 Touareg for two years from Oct. 2014 to Oct 2016. I absolutely loved that thing and I really hope I can get another Touareg sooner rather than later. This winter was not a particularly good time for me but I worked through some things and am on the up and up, now.

I was all over the map looking for cars originally - anything from saving up longer for a GT500 to an 04 S4 wagon and all kinds of other stuff. I ended up finding and really wanting this R32.

08 R32T in United Gray:

Purchased Saturday 5/6/17

I sort of knew it going in, but this thing is definitely a project, unfortunately. I currently have the car torn apart in my shop. There are quite a few things that need addressed. Boost leaks, a mess of vacuum hoses all teed together when factory systems were changed or removed, poor fitment of the turbo kit, exhaust leaks, boost control/hose issues, and more. Much of it is quite small, or maybe just personal preference, and just comes with the territory of buying a modified car like this. I'll have it back together and running again in a couple weeks. I'm just going to take it one step and one issue at a time.

Anyway, here's a picture from when I picked it up down in Virginia. I'm working on it almost every night and taking pictures along the way. I'll try to get caught up with picture uploads every couple days. This is quite a learning process.

IMG_6036 by Pat, on Flickr

Last edited by mckpat03; 05-10-2017 at 07:02 PM.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

The night I got it home was spent just looking things over figuring out what needed to be done or what I wanted to do. Here is a shot of the engine bay and the grille. I already bought a replacement grill - a replica R32 grille in gloss black. It probably won't fit perfect but it's going to be easier than having my friend fill, prep, and paint the existing unit. The headlight washer covers will be painted gray by my friend, though, along with the hood that needs body worked. I need to grab pictures of that.

IMG_6037 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6038 by Pat, on Flickr

Last edited by mckpat03; 05-10-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Sunday I did some little stuff to the car. In the box of parts included with it was a rear wiper delete. I would have done this myself, so it was nice to already have it. I threw that on. Also included in the box of parts was a poly insert for the bottom subframe motor mount. I threw that in for now, but I think I'm going to ditch it for a different unit when I inevitably do all three motor mounts at some point this summer. I want things to be quite stiff. Here are pictures of the before and after of the wiper delete. I didn't grab a picture of the mount insert.

IMG_6039 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6043 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6045 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6046 by Pat, on Flickr
Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Sunday night thru Wednesday night were spent tracking down exhaust and boost leaks. This ultimately led to pulling the manifold, turbo, downpipe, etc, off the car. Being that the car wasn't designed for a turbo and space is at a premium, it's proving to be quite frustrating to get things done. Like all cars, though, it's just a matter of learning the platform and learning the tricks to getting things done.

More pictures. I pulled the intake off and was feeling things out around the turbo. Found a hole in the silicone elbow on the compressor outlet because it was riding on the driveshaft flange. I don't think the wastegate was hooked up to the compressor. The vacuum/boost hoses above the turbo desperately need cleaned up. Part of it is because it has an electronic boost controller that I'll be ditching. I also need to move the coolant reservoir to get rid of the coolant lines atop the turbo. There was an exhaust leak between the head and manifold. Space is limited, but the turbo kit has pretty bad fitment in certain spots such as the compressor outlet. The wastegate recirc will be ditched in favor of a dump tube. The recirc tube makes removing the downpipe, or working around the downpipe, almost impossible. The wastegate is going to dump out the hood to make things easy. The last MS paint picture shows what the issue is with the compressor outlet. Not sure what I'll do about that yet.

IMG_6054 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6055 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6056 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6059 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6061 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6064 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6068 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6070 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6072 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6074 by Pat, on Flickr
turbo kit fitment by Pat, on Flickr

Last edited by mckpat03; 05-11-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Jesus that engine bay looked terrible. I'm interested in more pics when more work is done.

This is what I really miss about forums,following peoples builds in pictures instead of people just hashtagging the **** out of a over-filtered instagram picture
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #6
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

This thing looks like a killer project! I had a buddy with a very similar car that I did a turbo kit install on, as well as several coolant leaks in the mess of hoses, etc, and it is TIGHT fit. Kudos to you for tackling it and freshening up.

What are your goals? Daily? Weekend autox car?
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Thanks guys. Just trying to do my part and add another active thread to the forum, lol. Honestly, I feel inspired looking through the handful of active threads on here; I don't know, maybe it's our age showing, but forum build threads with good pictures and descriptions just do it for me. Anyway, this is the first time I've made a conscious effort to photograph just about every little thing I'm doing. I'll try to keep the pictures rolling.

Yeah, the engine bay is less than ideal for a turbo setup, but I think it'll be a lot better after cleaning some things up and relocating some things. I'm going to yank a lot of the mess of vacuum hoses (electronic boost controller, fuel/evap crap, etc) and I'm going to move the coolant reservoir/try to simplify some coolant plumbing. Flamesuit on, but I ditched the washer fluid tank, lines, headlight washers, and started pulling the AC last night. It's going to be closer to a racecar than most people would probably like for a comfortable grand touring-ish car, but I want to free up as much space and weight as possible. Resale may dwindle, but whatever.

The goal is mainly just a decently quick and fun street car to drive to work a couple nice days and on the weekends whenever all my friends have their nice cars out. Short term goals are just to get some things cleaned up and get it back to full power and on the road so I can enjoy it lol. It'll probably see the drag strip once or twice a year to see how it MPHs. Basically, I want keep up with the rest of the guys lol.

Longer term goals are more power and would love to trap 125-130mph, but much more power than what it's tuned for now would require rods.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

I don't see not having A/C that big of a deal, especially in the tristate. I had to yank mine many moons ago when I went turbo on my Integra because I went half rad, and it just wasn't worth it to re-situate it all.

Last edited by Foolinaround; 05-14-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Yeah, for sure. I rarely use AC even when I have it, anyway, and we only get a few sweltering days a summer.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

So late last week I started getting rid of some things. One of my friends (15psi88 on here) is going to do some welding and help me out with a few things to get this car back to 100%. I'm paying another one of my friends to paint the hood and headlight washer covers to help get things looking good, too.

Wastegate will dump out the hood just because the original recirculation pipe pissed me off. It was in the way when trying to work around the turbo and made getting the downpipe out a pain in the ass. I started pulling the washer fluid stuff, pulled the bumper to get the headlight washers out of it and paint the covers, decided to start yanking the AC to make more room, had to put the front nearly in full service position, and finally got the front back together Sunday evening. Topped it off with a replica grille that I found on Amazon. While the fitment is lacking, it looks nice and isn't full of license plate holes and the price was good.

IMG_6079 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6080 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6083 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6085 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6086 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6096 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6100 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6099 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6104 by Pat, on Flickr
Old 05-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Gave my TDI some love on Saturday, too. It already has the bottom pendulum engine/trans mount from Black Forest Industries. Finally installed the top two mounts, also from BFI.

I've actually been chasing down a crazy drivetrain shimmy since I lowered it back in March. Doing all of the mounts seems to have fixed it. The mounts must have been so sloppy that things were twisting and binding in ways I'd never experienced before.

IMG_6093 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6094 by Pat, on Flickr
Old 05-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #12
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

A good set of mounts always goes such a long way.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #13
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Yeah for sure. I can't believe how blown out the stockers were.

Back to the Golf, got it just about back together. Gotta get my buddy to weld the downpipe and wastegate dump and it'll be good to start driving. Charge pipes are sorted enough to get me going for the summer and hopefully last until the winter when we can make some permanent changes. After this I just need to start cleaning up the vacuum and coolant hose messes. Oh, and get the hood fixed and painted. Some small things I did this week include yellow flash to pass bulbs and Integrated Engineering SAI block off plates.

IMG_6106 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6108 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6109 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6111 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6119 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6122 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6123 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6124 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6126 by Pat, on Flickr

Last edited by mckpat03; 05-20-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #14
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Haven't done much with the Golf. Mocked up the wastegate dump. Patching the downpipe and putting the dump out the hood should be done Sunday or Monday. After that's done I'm going to pull the catback section of the exhaust off so the muffler can be opened up and partitioned for a straight-ish-pipe setup. The Milltek muffler is really quiet and supposedly restrictive. Oh, and still gotta address all the coolant and vacuum hoses above the turbo.

And I bought injector nozzles for the TDI. RIP stock clutch, most likely. Really gotta stop modding dailies.

The waste gate dump tube is going to do a little s-bend away from the cowl and put the outlet centered between the hood frame.
IMG_6133 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6128 by Pat, on Flickr

Last edited by mckpat03; 05-25-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM   #15
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Well, 15psi88 did a tiny bit of welding for me over the weekend and we got the car back on the road and pretty much ready to go. Got the downpipe patched and got the wastegate through the hood.

I need to fix a tiny coolant leak and finally get to work on cleaning up the vacuum lines and moving the coolant ball. Oh, and still need to buy a manual boost controller.

IMG_6189 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6194 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6191 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6196 by Pat, on Flickr
Old 05-31-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

I might have a dumb question but wont all that heat/soot from the dump end up on the wind screen? I had my old integras dump facing the hood and it made a perma black spot on the underside
Old 06-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #17
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Yes, that is definitely a concern. However, I'm hoping that since I'll drive it so infrequently that I'll be able to keep it clean, but I guess I'll find out this summer. I'll keep an eye on it, though. If it would happen to get too bad, I'll probably dump it underneath or out the fender.

Edit: Lunchtime update on the windshield. After just a few pulls last night and just now, windshield is quickly getting covered in crap. I'm going to make an effort to keep it clean as often as possible (keep cleaner and a cloth in the car) and then just hope for the best.

Last edited by mckpat03; 06-01-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Yes, that is definitely a concern. However, I'm hoping that since I'll drive it so infrequently that I'll be able to keep it clean, but I guess I'll find out this summer. I'll keep an eye on it, though. If it would happen to get too bad, I'll probably dump it underneath or out the fender.

Edit: Lunchtime update on the windshield. After just a few pulls last night and just now, windshield is quickly getting covered in crap. I'm going to make an effort to keep it clean as often as possible (keep cleaner and a cloth in the car) and then just hope for the best.
Lol at the edit. I know plenty of DSM/EVO guys who have bumper dumpers and that side of the car is usually black. You gotta think about most cars running a bit rich and spewing all the unburnt fuel and soot right at the window.

in4pix of how dirty
Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #19
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

bmw gate dumps out the fender, can confirm that side of car is soot covered and i usually arrive at my destination smelling like a gas station. Next time i think ill be doing recirculated wg and full length exhaust....
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

It's great for a racecar that you're only out to rip on. Not fun for anything else.